Hey all...

My band has been recording some originals and the quality is just, well, poor. All we're doing is plugging a condenser mic into a board, and plugging the board into my laptop. Pretty basic.

We dont have a lot of money (basically none), but, what can we do to produce better recordings? Someone once recommended something like the Lexicon Omega, but I really don't know if thats the best option. I just want to be able to record our songs without tons of editing, and STILL a fuzz or static in the background.

Thanks in advance for any help.
upload what you have and I can give you more feedback in regard to ur quality. maybe mic positioning could be a factor.

what program are you using to record at the moment? are you plugging the signal from the mixing board into the line in on your laptop?

I recommend you guys looking on ebay to try and snap up a usb Mbox, or Mbox2 for cheap.
We're using audacity, and we're using the line-in on my laptop from the board.

I'm not familiar with an Mbox, what exactly is it, and how would it help?

-I'll try and upload something eventually if needed, I don't have the files on hand though.
mbox is an extrenal soundcard but designed for recording and playing back at high quality. It also lets you use protools properly and record using it. protools is an industry standard recording software which I learned to use by reading the PDF files that came with it. its a very good program, its got great quality recording hardware for essentially thing that will be used for a home recording device.
Quote by hellraiser1133
Hey all...

My band has been recording some originals and the quality is just, well, poor. All we're doing is plugging a condenser mic into a board, and plugging the board into my laptop. Pretty basic.

We dont have a lot of money (basically none), but, what can we do to produce better recordings? Someone once recommended something like the Lexicon Omega, but I really don't know if thats the best option. I just want to be able to record our songs without tons of editing, and STILL a fuzz or static in the background.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You won't get that many connections with an Mbox (which is obscenely expensive and only comes with Pro Tools LE, which is fairly limited compared to alternatives like Reaper or Tracktion), or any interface with little money. Tell me the budget, and I can tell if you have to record one member at a time (after a rough cut) or if you can use the band.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
i personally use mobile preusb for recording guitars (ideally you could record drums through a mixer into a mobile preusb) and acid 6.0 for a recording program. i couldn't ask for more personally. mobile preusb is about $150 (they might only have the firewire version now which is $199) and acid is.... well... alot if you buy it. maybe see if you can borrow it?
my song "the day god was born" was recorded with these and a drumkit from hell handmade drum track. also "there are no words to this" was recorded using these as well and a single mic for the acoustic guitar. check out my profile (and try to ignore the mixing, im not very good at it, but you can hear the quality of it) lastly, i used a boss br8 digi multitrack for a preamp.