Orright. Now ground rules, I'm in aus, so double the US price to get approximate aussie price. My budget is around $900. I want the amp for blues to rock (crunchy, not roaring gain and distortion, so light to medium gain).

I've been lookin around for an amp, and think around 15w will be perfect. Just loud enough for pub gigs when run through a 1 or 2x12 extension. I don't want a peavey, and I don't want headroom. If I need cleans, I've got my FM212. It does cleans pretty well so I'll let it. I also use a bad monkey, so not too worried about comprehensive EQ on the amp. Gettin onto options

Fender Pro Junior (cheapest), Orange Tiny Terror (7/15w seems like a great feature, worried about it breaking up too much though. Also expensive.), Laney VC15 (got no idea about this one), Fender Blues Junior (horrifically overpriced in Aus)

Opinions on any and all would be apreciated. I don't care about metal tones or distortion. I'd prefer a purpose oriented amp.

Also, forgot to add, it'll be driven by a strat, tele and SG.
Last edited by ljohn at Oct 1, 2008,
Blackheart Handsome Devil maybe ?
it's a 15w tube top ..

top is around 220$
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Last edited by IKnowItsWrong at Oct 1, 2008,
100w is way too much power for what I want. I'll say 30w max. The handsome devil head is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Except it ain't available anywhere near where I live, or australia, I think. I can only get blackheart little giants. so blackheart's out.

EDIT: Saw your edit. Spot on what I'm lookin for, but Australia is a little behind the rest of the world on their inventories. Thanks though.
The pro junior is great.. just not if you wanna play at low volumes. And I guess the blues junior beats it hands down on versatility
I r Pirate!
Yeah sorry.. i wanted to say Handsome Devil but i forgot the 15W is called Handsome Devil and not Hothead
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Quote by Jaksar
I just bought a Legacy Blues Twin which is a Epiphone Blues Custom rebadged for the Aussie Market and I freaking LOVE it. You could easily get it and a good OD pedal (to get you into thrash/metal territory) for under your 1k budget.

Try one out and see what you think.

I quoted this from another thread. This UGer paid around $500 if I remember correctly. Maybe PM him for his input. I have played the Epiphone Blues Custom which is the same amp badged as Epiphone, and was very impressed with tone and versatility. It is 30 watts, but that is what volume knobs are for. Your Bad Monkey would likely get you anywhere you want to go gainwise at lower volumes - I realize you aren't needing a ton so it may just tighten things up for you. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I quoted this from another thread. This UGer paid around $500 if I remember correctly. Maybe PM him for his input. I have played the Epiphone Blues Custom which is the same amp badged as Epiphone, and was very impressed with tone and versatility. It is 30 watts, but that is what volume knobs are for. Your Bad Monkey would likely get you anywhere you want to go gainwise at lower volumes - I realize you aren't needing a ton so it may just tighten things up for you. Good luck.

I was going to suggest the Blues Custom as well (I really want one). Another thing to consider with it is that it can be switched between 30 and 15watts.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael

Another thing to consider with it is that it can be switched between 30 and 15watts.

Didn't know that, thanks Hakael!
the Fender Blues Junior is a great buy. its got the gritty blues crunch you want and fender cleans and spring reverb. ive played and giged on one before its great.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I'll definitely check out the legacy. Sounds like exactly what I'm lookin for.

The issue with the blues junior is it has an RRP of $960 aussie dollars, which I'll be buggered if I pay that. The Legacy Blues Twin retails at about $850 so that looks like a better option. I'll still go and try a few others, but thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I can think of though, how would it be for bedroom practice? 2x12, although only 15w, can push a lot of air in a small room.

Still curious about the Laney VC15, how is that in terms of what I'm lookin for?
Quote by ljohn
I'll definitely check out the legacy. Sounds like exactly what I'm lookin for.

The issue with the blues junior is it has an RRP of $960 aussie dollars, which I'll be buggered if I pay that. The Legacy Blues Twin retails at about $850 so that looks like a better option. I'll still go and try a few others, but thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I can think of though, how would it be for bedroom practice? 2x12, although only 15w, can push a lot of air in a small room.

Well, I crank the shit out of my amps for bedroom practice...

Anyway, If I were buying an amp right now, I would gladly pay 850 US for a Blues Custom 30, even though they're cheaper stateside.

Outstanding and really underrated amps.
OK, awesome. How's their durability? They look like a great buy. If I can try one I may just have to buy one.

Also, Vox AC15s may be an option too.
The only thing I've noticed with them is shitty stock tubes, specifically in the reverb driver.
Dude Blues Jr.

I got mine $800 brand new from Billy Hyde. Can't comment on the legacy though.
what kind of music do you play/listen to mostly?

most of the amps recommended so far are great.

The fender's are american voiced and the Vox's will be british voiced.

what are the similar Laneys', Oranges, Vox's, Black hearts, and others go for dollar wise? Is there any decent Used Market down thar?
Quote by willis4
Dude Blues Jr.

I got mine $800 brand new from Billy Hyde. Can't comment on the legacy though.

I think I'll get some shit for this, but the Blues Custom (which is the same as the Legacy) makes a Blues Jr. it's bitch. Including the NOS one.
Whereabouts in Australia are you?

One thing about the Orange TT that turned me off is that its only one channel, so you can have a great distorted tone if you crank the preamp on 7w mode, but all the high gain in the amp is useless if you want clean parts in the song you are playing. If you wanted clean and dirty tones in the same song you would have to run the amp clean, which is not what the amp is aimed for.

The Blues Jr. is more versatile for that reason, its cleans are excellent and a good building block to model your tone on. Also don't worry too much about the lack of effects loop. As I said, if you want clean and distorted parts in one song you will need to run the amp clean and use a pedal.
If your amp is clean then your preamp tubes are not distorting your signal much, if at all, and so it doesnt matter if you run a Delay pedal into the preamp section of your amp.

And its got **** loads of volume on tap. I use the Master volume at 12 and use the preamp volume to dial in my volume, and I played unmiced, with a full band in a hall the size of two basketball courts with the Preamp volume on 4......

The Vox AC15CC1 seemed a little too harsh in the top end for me, heard they have terrible Quality control and I had no use for the in built tremelo, so it wasn't really the amp for me.

Maybe see if you can find a Hughes and Kettner 20th Tube edition amp. I think it would bee about 1000ish once you bargain them right down
Quote by imgooley
I think I'll get some shit for this, but the Blues Custom (which is the same as the Legacy) makes a Blues Jr. it's bitch. Including the NOS one.

I never played the Legacy amps, what about them to you prefer to the Blues Jr?
^+1

Oh, and damn I forgot, are you planning on using the Fender FM for your cleans STILL? Are you planning on A/B/Y ing these amps? 'Cause if so, I would forget about that and sell your FM to add cash to your new amp fund. I have one, and i can tell you - you would be better off with a amp that can do it all then this set up. Yes, the FM has cleans but they are not natural cleans imo. That amp might be good for Jazz or Speed Metal but not what I think I you need.

imo
Quote by willis4
I never played the Legacy amps, what about them to you prefer to the Blues Jr?

The tone.

And from what I've read, a Legacy is a rebranded Epi. I played the Epi. Killer tone. It's an amp you'd expect to pay 1000 USD for.
I have an Epiphone Blues Custom 30. It's got a nice tone for cleans and for lower gain stuff, and with your Bad Monkey, if you're not looking for loads of gain, it'll probably do what you want. Something great about it is that it allows you to choose either 15 or 30 watts to run it through, which helps at getting that nice tube overdrive at lower volumes. It's pretty easy to dial in a nice sound on the EQ, but I daresay a tube change'd make it much much better.

I haven't really been able to afford a tube change, so mine's still stock, but from what I've heard, the stock tubes are pretty crap. Everything I've heard in my research about them supports the view that changing the tubes gives it a far better sound.

I got mine for $750 at Gallins Guitars (the Gibson/Epi importer for Aus.), because they're trying to compete with the Legacy's for price. So, probably doesn't make much difference, but it might help you save a few bucks.

If you have any specific questions about it, feel free to ask.

Oh, also, I tried a Laney VC30 when I was looking at the BC30. The Laney was also really nice (but more expensive) and had a nice bluesy/classic rock kind of sound to it, it was well worth considering, but the price turned me off it.

If you're in Melbourne and wouldn't mind buying used, I'm looking to sell my Epi to buy a Laney TT50. I'd definately be willing to give you a price around $500, if you're interested.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what kind of music do you play/listen to mostly?

OK, I'll put it this way, I'm looking for a sound about the level of punch and gain as Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of Mary Had a Little Lamb live at Montreux. Preferably with the ability to reach classic rock crunch. Not too fussed though, my Bad Monkey does the job. Don't want it for metal. Just a bit of crunch.

The used market is pretty bad.

For reference I'm in Western Australia.

I am planning on keeping my good 'ol frontman just as a backup. The resale value is pretty terrible. I rarely use a pure clean tone anyway.

All mentioned amps excluding the Pro Junior are in the $850-$1000AUD bracket.

I'm excluding the Vox, not what I'm lookin for.

Once again, the thing turning me off the blues junior is the price.
Quote by willis4

Maybe see if you can find a Hughes and Kettner 20th Tube edition amp. I think it would bee about 1000ish once you bargain them right down

Way more gain than he is looking for. Great amp, I have one, but the reverb isn't that deep, less than he would want for blues but a great clean channel no doubt. It's more of a VH/hair band metal amp. I still think the Epi/Legacy is the way to go. Talk to snot_foster and grab his for $500, and maybe a decent eq to help dial in your tone. It is ideal for your needs.
Western Australia might be a bit hard, but I'd be happy to discuss shipping or whatever if you're interested. Up to you man, shoot me a PM if you want to talk about it.