Another technique I use is that of overlapping polyrhythms. This can get kind of sticky and is best used when there's no definite time signature going on.

That one?

Well, 8th note triplet, another 8th note triplet, with the first note in the second 8th note triplet, being the last note of the first triplet.

At least the last two notes are straight quavers!

If you sub-divide each 8th note triplet into 3's

You have 1 2 3, 1 2 3 for the first two beats.

Than 1 2 3 1 2 3 for the last two

So 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I would assume 1 2 3, 4 5 6

Hold it, Ignore what I said.

Does it even equal to a bar?

You have four 8th notes tripleted, and two straight

That equals a Minum, and an 8th note part of an 8th note tiplet.

I think mabey an easier way to look at it, would be to put it in 6/8

So you have, 8th note, 8th note, 8th note with a triplet mark, 4x 8th notes.

So that actually equals to six 8th notes.

So is it in 5/8?

If you cound each 8th note in 3

1 2 3
1 2 3
1 2
1 2 3
1 2 3

Hold.. Im going to ask a drum teacher round here.
Try tapping out 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 with one hand, and then 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 with the other. Thats a polyrythm. At first itll be like a mental brain fart, untill you can start feeling them. I personally like 7 against 4, and 4 against 3 is pretty neat also.

That site is pretty crazy, ive never thought about poly rythms INSIDE polyrythms lol. Dont expect to master polyrythms from reading that. You could spend your whole career with this stuff. Interesting stuff non the less. Ill i can say is become friends with a good drummer ;-)

To answer your question, GOOD LUCK. If anyone (doubt it) figures it out, they have to explain it + have a recording of them playing it
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Last edited by BBell at Oct 1, 2008,
Well, I think disreguarding the 8th note tripleted twice, we have a Minum plus one 8th note inside a triplet.

What would happen to an 8th note, if it was tripleted twice.

Does it become a tripleted 16th?

Would that make it a bar of 11/16?
Attachments:
tm_tempo25.gif
tm_tempo24.gif