Page 1 of 2
Ok guys, as the thread says, i wanna know how metal an Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition Custom, Because the other guitar thats in the running is an Ibanez RGR 421EXFM. Now, where the metal plays in, is that i play/listen to a lot of stuff such as August Burns Red, Heaven Shall Burn, All That Remains, Bullet for My Valentine, etc, etc.

And i know that the "Metal Sound" comes from the Amp mostly, the pickups slightly, and from the actual guitar just a tiny bit. But i think you guys understand my question

Les Paul: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-104065958-i1168180.gc

Ibanez: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGR421EXFM-Electric-Guitar-512459-i1173392.gc

And sorry if the wording is weird or you dont understand anything, im slightly drunk right now. And by slightly, i mean A LOT.

Thanks Guys
They can get pretty metal, and by pretty, I mean heavy. I think Matt Heafy from Trivium used one on some Trivium records, and he has a metal sound.

I'm not too keen on those Ibanez pickups either... They seem a tad muddy for me, but hey, I play blues and some blues-rock, not metal.

EDIT: And one of the dudes from BFMV used a Les Paul when I saw GN'R a couple of years ago. And he got a very metal sound.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
But the P'ups can always be replaced too. And Trivium. Very good example. I had no idea he even played a Les Paul
Well if you change your guitar pickups to EMG pickups, it's gonna be metal. The sound of the guitar comes from the pickups and EMGs are really good if you like to play metal but you could also try duncans or dimarzios wich i prefer.

So basicly you could get the Les Paul and change it's pickups to EMG ones. The humbucker ones are more comprehensive than EMG humbuckers. Or then just get the ibanez wich already has the EMGs on.
鋼の錬金術師
out of the two epiphone les pauls i've owned. i think their pickups are terrible.

you'll get more of what you're looking for out if the Ibanez. unless you dont mind spending an additional $200 for emgs.
Quote by StenTheAwesome
Zakk Wylde anyone?

Randy Rhoads also played one often.

lol, just what I was thinking
guy out of in flames used one on mondays gig

vintage gibson les paul custom ( alot diff to the epiphone but meh), and that had emgs in and heavy guage strings tuned to drop a sharp
metal enough for ya?
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
I have an Ibanez RGR421EXFM. It's worth its money, imo. The only thing I have against it is that it sounds slightly too fat and rounded when you're palm muting sometimes. At least that's what i get compared to my Jackson.

My friend has an epi les paul and we were jamming out a few new metallica songs the other day, and his tone was really great, although his metal muff probably helped somewhat.

I've never been able to play something with less than 24 frets very comfortably for some reason, so I'd pick it over the les paul, but you shouldnt really take my personal preference into account. if it feels good and sounds good to you, thats all that matters.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I have a Zakk Wylde Epiphone LP Custom. Plenty metal enough for all.

LPs are just fine for metal. =]

Yeh, the Zakk Wylde signiture is your best bet if you want an Epi Les Paul thats good for metal, its a bit more than a Custom but its cheaper than buying a Custom and putting EMG's in it and you also get the cool paint job.
Here's Matt back before The Crusade came out, play ing his Les Pauls.

http://www.gibson.com/email/images/060805_Trivium.jpg

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7555/hero12ohlg8.jpg
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by lewis_grey
Yeh, the Zakk Wylde signiture is your best bet if you want an Epi Les Paul thats good for metal, its a bit more than a Custom but its cheaper than buying a Custom and putting EMG's in it and you also get the cool paint job.

But that has passive EMGs.

Those aren't the best pickups though, you may aswell get a normal Les Paul custom and shoving some EMGs in it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero

LPs can do metal fine. They're used on thousands of albums in every genre anyway. It's more about your amp.
As metal as the amp you use.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Nick and phil from as i lay dying both play gibsons and there pretty fu**in hard core, and im not a personal fan of ibanez or epiphone so i cant really help you here unless you want to get an esp or schecter, if you want metal check them out and if you really want to be out there go with bc rich but a lot people give them crap because they say flash is trash but in my opinion dont bust it till you try it, so i guess what im trying to say is try lots of different guitars cause you never know when youll find something you didnt expect.
Well, the Ibby has EMG DESIGNED, not actually EMGs. And i prefer Duncans anyways. Blackouts FTW. so i have 2 for the Ibby and the Rest for Les Paul.

And as for the amp, i use a Crate Flexwave 120W Half stack using the high gain channel, but i plan on getting either the Boss Metalzone or the Digitech XXM Metal Master. not sure which one yet, havent tried them yet, so yeah. Any suggestions on that?
these pickups are crap for metal, i cannot get decent pinch harmonics or a great tone, they are great for clean thow
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by SMB13
Well, the Ibby has EMG DESIGNED, not actually EMGs. And i prefer Duncans anyways. Blackouts FTW. so i have 2 for the Ibby and the Rest for Les Paul.

And as for the amp, i use a Crate Flexwave 120W Half stack using the high gain channel, but i plan on getting either the Boss Metalzone or the Digitech XXM Metal Master. not sure which one yet, havent tried them yet, so yeah. Any suggestions on that?

Get the Digitech DF-7 it's basically 7 different distortion pedals in one. One of the presets is the Boss Metalzone. Overall great pedal!
Guitars:
Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
Jackson DKMG
Rig:
Bugera 333XL
Marshall 1936 Lead 2X12
Quote by bazzabalboa
these pickups are crap for metal, i cannot get decent pinch harmonics or a great tone, they are great for clean thow

The EMG designed, or the LP stock P'ups? Cause i know your not talkin about blackouts, haha.

And as for the Pedal, Im lookin Between Boss MT-2, Digitech Death Metal, metal master, or the DF-7, i jsut need to try them out first, lol
Well, i didnt consider metal muff, because i tried it, and i didnt like what i heard.

And as for the Metalcore and Metalzone, I can get the Metalcore tone from the metalzone pedal, not to mention others, so that kinda rules it out. A bit.
Quote by StenTheAwesome
Zakk Wylde anyone?

Randy Rhoads also played one often.

i dont think that zakk wylde plays an Epiphone. i think he plays a gibson version and epiphone just sell a model that has the same name and looks identical but it has different pickups etc. there are 2 slash custom models as well a gibson and epiphone
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
as metal as your amp is.

how metal is your amp?
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
I've seen Slash play his signature model Epiphone live, sounds fine to me.

The Epiphone version of Zakk Wylde's guitar has passive EMGs in it, rather than the active ones. It still kicks ass though.

SMB13 - Fair enough. Personal preference, I guess.
Quote by 5th_fret
as metal as your amp is.

how metal is your amp?

Well, this was already a bunny trail in this thread, but ill restate cause im nice

Crate Flexwave 120W Half Stack, using the built in High Gain. THEN i talked about my few pedal choices that ill be going to get in this November. Its down between BOSS Metalzone, Digitech Death Metal, or Digitech Metal Master

EDIT: So the ways things are lookin, i should grab the LP and whichever one of those pedals i think is best for me, and play it until i wear my fingers to bloody stubs?

I can dig it
Last edited by SMB13 at Oct 1, 2008,
disturbed's dan donegan used a gibson les paul for pretty much all of the sickness album...that wa swhen they were pretty metal if you ask me. actually in terms its abotu the same or heavier than most metalcore band syouve listed. change the pickups to emgs if you want
Ehh, not a big fan on EMGs active P'ups. I prefer Blackouts. Sounds more Organic. Seymour Duncan FTW
If you're getting a metal effects pedal then you'll have to decide between a LP or the effects because the effects will pretty much eliminate the natural LP tone. So if thats the case you're better off buying the RG and spending the extra money on effects. Otherwise just buy the LP and spend the effects money saving towards a better amp.
All about the amp. Any guitar can sound metal.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
All about the amp. Any guitar can sound metal.

Yes, i know this, as i have stated it when i started the thread
Quote by SMB13

Get a new amp instead, and please don't waste your money on a Boss Metalzone, Metalcore or a Digitech Metal Master.

Just don't do it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Get a new amp instead, and please don't waste your money on a Boss Metalzone, Metalcore or a Digitech Metal Master.

Just don't do it.

Then what pedal do you suggest i get?
F****** metal, mate
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Rondomusic.com

You can get a les paul with EMG's already installed for less than the cost of that EPi, and the quality will be 1000 times better
yes. but the real question should be, Strats and metal. which is also a yes, as long as you have a very nice amp. lol

and IMO the ZW LP isnt your best bet unless you get the Gibson model. The Epiphone ZW Custom is nice aside from the pups being EMG HZ's which are uber suck. So if you pay the extra $$ for that model, you're just gonna have to dish out more for the real EMG's or Blackouts. I think your best bet is to get the regular Epiphone LP Custom and throw a set of DirtyFingers or SD JB/'59.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
i think Jack Owen from cannibal corpse used les pauls wayyy back when.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by SMB13
Then what pedal do you suggest i get?

the metal muff is better than all the pedals you suggested. learn to use it before dismissing it completely - the eq is insanely powerful.

and emgs won't help you with that crate thing. also, have you actually compared them to blackouts through a pro quality cranked high gain amp?
Epiphone Prophechy perhaps?

Active pickups, and look a hell of a lot nicer that ZW's sig. Imo...

I could've sworn that some guy posted a coppertop LP once, I'd figure that that and the goldtop must be pretty metal.
Page 1 of 2