i have a hard time writing lyrics that dont end up becoming poems, also i have a hard comeing up with my own ideas/verses that dont sound already like a song...HELP!
the only songs i can remember that is not poems are all songs by cannibal corpse :S
I have that problem too sometimes, but what works best for me is that if I want to write a song meant for a certain song or purpose or something, I first come up with a rhythm and a melodie in my head, and work from that, always works for me but hey
Ummm, The faint have all their lyrics read out like poems, so it isn't necessarily bad.
oh i hate this. every time i write lyrics i like make them rhym too much... i could rap with that shit.. anyways keep writing songs mixing old songs you wrote with new ones until you have your own sound, and write songs YOU want to hear. if it sounds like your favorite band or what ever thats because your heavily influenced by them. don't worry though you'll find your own sound. =]
If by "sounds like a poem" you mean "has a rhyme scheme", then that's kind of a music standard.

You don't have to make it rhyme, but it's more accepted if you're writing lyrics to a death metal song or something with screaming/growling.

If it's for clean singing, you'll just sound like Bob Dylan.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by MrGoodyear812
i have a hard time writing lyrics that dont end up becoming poems, also i have a hard comeing up with my own ideas/verses that dont sound already like a song...HELP!

DONT FORCE THE LYRICS OUT JUST KEEP A NOTEBOOK HANDY AND WHEN A LINE COMES INTO YOUR HEAD WRITE IT DOWN AND THEN BUILD THE SONG AROUND THAT.
Shane C

Quote by Shanecorcoran13
DONT FORCE THE LYRICS OUT JUST KEEP A NOTEBOOK HANDY AND WHEN A LINE COMES INTO YOUR HEAD WRITE IT DOWN AND THEN BUILD THE SONG AROUND THAT.

I AGREE BUT WHY ARE WE YELLING??
Quote by chickrawker
I AGREE BUT WHY ARE WE YELLING??
HE MAY JUST LIKE CAPS LOCK!!!!! ITS KINDA FUN! BUT THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS! BUT YAH, MY SONGS COME OUT MORE LIKE RAP "SONGS"! HAHA
i have the same problem. ultimately lyrics are poems but i think he means that they dont really go with music and sound like poems you write in elementary school (no offense to the TS, thats just the way i took it)
I hate my sig
where do you draw the line between music and poetry?when im writing a song i dont think of the rythym or the melody i just say what i feel and work from there and sometimes it doesnt ryme but its more personal and less diluted
Try summarizing the lyrics if its too long. Make a rhythm and melody/song structure then take out stuff that are almost repeated, take a few peices out to make a chorus or pre, then maybe a bridge part or coda. Basically just break it all down, if this hasn't been mentioned earlier.