Page 4 of 291
Quote by Lynchworm
I havent been on this site in a while and it is cool to see what this thread has become. Too bad my Valveking **** the bed a few months ago and I just found out it will cost me more to fix it than what I paid for it. I will be searching for a new amp but low funds have prevented me from playing electric guitar for months now. I wish all these little mods were available to me when the thing was working.

Sorry to hear that, man. :'(

I hope mine will last me a while... at least a few years...

Good luck w/ getting a new amp!
O O

___
I'm looking at some speakers for my 112, what do you guys recommend for a nice tight crunchy metal tone. I've been looking at the Eminence Black Powder and Man O War.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
have not tried a jack in the back - i'll have to try later....going to cut grass.

^TH - you can probably use EndDust or the like spray. It is really more for computers and stereos to to keep house dust from elctro-magnetically attracting to things. Not so sure on dirt from a road.

And no, I have not found any Saliva settings but have not looked that hard either. You have obviously so I'll take your lead.

See you guys later.

Actually a 4"X 1" piece of wood
@ stratoJim:

What does this do? And how do you do it?

EDIT: Is swapping out the reverb tank a good mod?

If so, what's a good one? And how much do reverb tanks go for?
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 4, 2008,
Has anyone ran a line 6 pocket pod through their VK? Ifso can you post results thanks in advance!

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

My 112 has a problem. I has this annoying buzzing sound when ever I plug in. It buzzes when I plug into the 1st input & the 2nd input but not when I plug into the fx return. Any ideas?
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Does it kind of sound like a bee?

If so, then that's just the amp. Mine does it, too. You'll have to get a noise gate.
O O

___
@ stratoJim:

What does this do? And how do you do it?

QUOTE]

Putting a small piece of wood (I use a 1" X 4") either in the middle or bottom of the back of the amp gives it more of a closed back feel. More ummph with bass response while still letting the open back bounce the sound everywhere and maintaining good highs.

I just put it right above where the existing back stops.
It wasnt doing it before. Its a really loud buzz. I cant play anything without hearing it.
Quote by stratoJim
Putting a small piece of wood (I use a 1" X 4") either in the middle or bottom of the back of the amp gives it more of a closed back feel. More ummph with bass response while still letting the open back bounce the sound everywhere and maintaining good highs.

ahh... nice idea.
Quote by Akridosity
It wasnt doing it before. Its a really loud buzz. I cant play anything without hearing it.
hmm... have you changed anything? Or did it just randomly start making this "buzzing" sound?
O O

___
Well, I changed the speaker 5 months ago. The buzzing just started randomly.
Originally Posted by stratoJim

I like it about in the middle. Gives the mids a nice knock.
Quote by stratoJim

I think you may have the wrong thread...

In other news, I recorded another VK clip. Uploading now... you'll have to guess which channel it's on

Settings used: Bass 5, Mids 6, Treble 4... delay used in place of reverb - volume 5, feedback 5, delay 200ms.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by TheBax
112 can do metal, after a few simple mods.
I use mine for bedroom practice... it's got a volume knob on it. I end up with mine around 0.3 when parents are home.

What KIND of pedal? For an overdrive, the Bad Monkey is a good cheap pedal... complements the distortion great.

What mods would I need to do?
Quote by o_hai_dere
What mods would I need to do?

The mods are mostly external and do not involve going into the amp itself...

There's the dummy jack trick, where you plug your guitar into the 2nd input and place a jack in the first one. It adds some more oomph to one's sound.

As well, you can swap the speaker. The VK's stock speaker is hilariously bad.

And you can change the tubes, although this isn't entirely necessary until the stock tubes die...

If you're not using the effects loop you can also plug dummy jacks in there - that adds some bite to your sound, if I recall correctly - I've been using my delay in my effects loop for so long I really don't remember what it does. :p

You can also tighten the reverb tank (I haven't done this but it supposedly improves the sound - removes alot of the echo, though)

As for pedals you can throw an overdrive pedal in front of your amp, add a master volume (The SUCK knob thing they sell on eBay - stick it in the effects loop) and maybe a noise gate, and you should be good to go as far as metal goes.

stratoJim has done a couple of internal mods to his VK, though - the r100 mod and another one... supposedly, they improve the VK's gain boost.

Happy tone hunting!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by stratoJim
Actually a 4"X 1" piece of wood

I read too fast. I 'saw' 1/4" and assumed you had another jack trick - which of course did squat. i just tried.

I could see how a more closed back could help.

Lycan - all I can say is that i've tried my RP250 in the effects loop to some success. My 4.3 and 4.4 clips have multi effect in.

As far as the buzzing some other things you can check are:
interference in the room like lights and PC's and cell phones.
isolating your amp onto it's own power outlet.
taking out noisy pedals etc.
check your guitar/amp jack inputs
shield your guitar better internally
stuff like that...but yes there is a buzz. I'm hoping either a Noise Gate or an EQ pedal will help.

Raijouta - have not checked yet - but thanks for taking the time
I've thought about it, and I'm really concidering that VK100 head. Like I said earlier, I want a 5150, but I keep seeing them sell on ebay for usually $650-700.

So I'm thinking about getting a VK100 head ($530), Bad monkey ($50), and some random EQ.

So just how heavy does the bad monkey make the VK get? I want it to get heavy enough to where the the palm mutes don't just go "kunk" but be able to hear the gain behind it... if you get what I mean.
Quote by stratoJim
Originally Posted by stratoJim

I like it about in the middle. Gives the mids a nice knock.

Sounds cool. Have a picture of it?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
After reading the 7 pages on the ValveKing mods I decided to give the free one a try.

Used a patch cord to connect between the effects loop and then I found a cord that my wife cut on me (never play when they are on the period guys) I cut off the old wires and stuck it in the number 1 input.

I'm not going to replace the tubes untill they blow

The speaker doesn't really give me an issue as I only play in the bedroom and keep the volume at around 1

Here are some pics of my VK112 with a Canadian mod on it

Thanks for the mods

1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
cool man^ a little dusty though, lol. How do you like the mods?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by stratoJim
how do I upload pics?

upload them in something like photobucket.com or tinypic.com and then paste the code on your post

Just thought I would share a pic of my setup.

The acoustics there because i was holding my electric lol.

A little improvement is always better than nothing, I'm going to go and find my Armour All and clean my amp
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Quote by Mr. Flying V
A little improvement is always better than nothing, I'm going to go and find my Armour All and clean my amp

Yup yup, I use the Armour All wipes to clean mine to XD

Quote by Lynchworm
I havent been on this site in a while and it is cool to see what this thread has become. Too bad my Valveking **** the bed a few months ago and I just found out it will cost me more to fix it than what I paid for it. I will be searching for a new amp but low funds have prevented me from playing electric guitar for months now. I wish all these little mods were available to me when the thing was working.

What's wrong with it exactly. Sorry to hear that.

Also - I think I've got all the clips people have posted so far. I won't post UG'r clips unless you say something in this thread. I already had permission from Sadistic_Sponge and sg622.

StratoJim - you can also upload pics directly from PC if pic is less then 500pixels and 50K. Use Advanced Reply and then Manage Attachments.

Later
Okay, i just wanted to let everyone know, that for the "taking off the logo/wings on the amp" mod, it doesn't look good with the comboes. I tried it, and there's about a 2cm gap at the top... Which looks pretty ugly, imo. You can see all inside the amp, and it just looks bad.

Just wanted to share my experience. (bump )
O O

___
Quote by Ignite
I've thought about it, and I'm really concidering that VK100 head. Like I said earlier, I want a 5150, but I keep seeing them sell on ebay for usually $650-700.

So I'm thinking about getting a VK100 head ($530), Bad monkey ($50), and some random EQ.

So just how heavy does the bad monkey make the VK get? I want it to get heavy enough to where the the palm mutes don't just go "kunk" but be able to hear the gain behind it... if you get what I mean.

You can definately get that "kunk" sound you're looking for. The BM doesn't necessarily make the sound, but it helps it out, and compliments it.
But yeah, the VK can definately get that chunky sound...

What kind of cab are you looking at?
O O

___
Oh man... after seeing Kristofer Dahl's new video I am GASing for a Peavey Triple XXX so bad.

Too bad Jamaica gets raped when it comes to amps (anything heavy, really) so I'll be stuck with the VK for a looong time unless I magically become wealthy...

It's cool, though, because I'm the only one I know who owns a tube amp (EGO +3! )
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
It's cool, though, because I'm the only one I know who owns a tube amp (EGO +3! )
O O

___
Quote by Ignite

Theres a clip on my profile called Valveking Low Gain Test. Its was with my Valveking and Bad Monkey only. Hit it up ans see if that is the tone your looking for.
Quote by Necrophagist777
Not sure what that had to with valvekings, but it was awesome!

I know, sorry. I figure we all chase tones on our valvekings. So i thought I throw that one out. I listen to stuff and try to get a close approximation on my valveking. So far I have gotten close in most cases. The only one I can't get is that warm british marshall el34 overdrive.

Paul gilbert is one of the best, great teacher to, he's got tons of free lessons on youtube
stratoJim, I dont think a valveking will ever get that nice crunchy marshall el34 overdrive, but damn wouldnt that be awesome?

I know, however, the turbo rat does get it close. (really smooths out the distortion) I guess I am just lusting after a JVM I tried a 2X12 and WOW! but for $1899 for just the 1X12 I figure I will stick with the valveking (which is very versatile) and make it my own. I've heard you can put el34s in the valve king with some resistor changes
Quote by stratoJim
Here it is. Tried it at church this morning, sounded great

Looks neat. Do you think this mod is worth it for everyone? I play modern metal so tight lows and articulate highs are pretty important to me. I've read numerous times that 'closed-backs' are better for metal, so that's why I'm asking.

Also, what kind of wood is that, and does it matter what type it is? Is a 1"x4" piece big enough, or would a bigger piece ideally be better?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Yes it does add a certain something. it is ideal for rock, metal and thrash players. depending on where it is located it affects the tone differently.

In the middle where I have it, it seems to tighten up the lows and low mids (a range that this amp doesn't do too well). At the bottom it makes the bass really pronounced and tight. I like mine where it is cause it is perfect for lead. Not too much bass and a good balance of highs and low to high mids (think satriani or paul gilbert)

I have tried numerous sizes including a cover for the whole thing but the larger sizes seemed to block the highs too much. 1X4 is a perfect balance, although I might try one more piece above the one I have.