Page 5 of 291
Quote by fearo
Looks neat. Do you think this mod is worth it for everyone? I play modern metal so tight lows and articulate highs are pretty important to me. I've read numerous times that 'closed-backs' are better for metal, so that's why I'm asking.

Also, what kind of wood is that, and does it matter what type it is? Is a 1"x4" piece big enough, or would a bigger piece ideally be better?

I think is is pine but it doesn't really matter.
alright guys i have two amps right now and would like to get rid of 1.valveking112 and valvestate 265. right now my valveking doesn't sound good at all for any of the punk/pop/classic rock i play cause its too dark sounding. i'll admit the amp has awesome cleans though(to me).
will a speaker change and bad monkey help brighten up the amp? i really dont wanna lose money on this amp. im not as worried about the valvestate cause i only paid 200 for it.
what should i keep?

and btw i also have a bbe sonic stomp if that helps at all
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
thanks for adding my clips to the list 311!

great job starting a new VK thread bartdevil.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by someguy27
alright guys i have two amps right now and would like to get rid of 1.valveking112 and valvestate 265. right now my valveking doesn't sound good at all for any of the punk/pop/classic rock i play cause its too dark sounding. i'll admit the amp has awesome cleans though(to me).
will a speaker change and bad monkey help brighten up the amp? i really dont wanna lose money on this amp. im not as worried about the valvestate cause i only paid 200 for it.
what should i keep?

An eq pedal can help out but best bet is changing out your tubes. Just putting JJ's in the preamps brightened mine considerably, from there you can change out the power amp tubes. But in the end you purchased a modern American voiced amp so its definitely not going to have the tone of a Marshall no matter how much you mod her.

And the closest you can get stock is using the gain boost button (about the only time this button is good to use) and crankin her to about 6. The gain boost is structured like the old JCM 800's using diodes to push the gain up a bit which isn't a bad thing if you have your amp cranked to mask the harshness and warm things up a bit which is what it was intended for. So you might want to give that a try as well.
Quote by someguy27
what should i keep?

a bad monkey will get rid of that mud in the lead channel and you can get a really good crunch out of it. an eq pedal will further better the VK's sound.
my other guitarist is using his buddies valvestate right now and my VK sounds miles and miles better.
Quote by Raijouta
Oh man... after seeing Kristofer Dahl's new video I am GASing for a Peavey Triple XXX so bad.

Too bad Jamaica gets raped when it comes to amps (anything heavy, really) so I'll be stuck with the VK for a looong time unless I magically become wealthy...

It's cool, though, because I'm the only one I know who owns a tube amp (EGO +3! )

you can get an ultra which is what the xxx bsically is. (correct me if im wrong ibanezP.)
check out IP's clips too if you havent. im saving for one as we speak.
Quote by sg622
a bad monkey will get rid of that mud in the lead channel and you can get a really good crunch out of it. an eq pedal will further better the VK's sound.
my other guitarist is using his buddies valvestate right now and my VK sounds miles and miles better.

i can attest to this. getting the eq soon can't wait to see how it goes.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by someguy27
what should i keep?

A speaker change to something like the Vintage or Warehouse 30 will add some brightness, but the speaker change is more about clarity of tone.

Power valves can add brightness, a couple of JJs in their instead of your stock (I'm guessing) Sovteks, which are a pretty dark valve.

An EQ pedal can also help your cause a but, whack on in the FX loop and boost the higher frequencies, but the bad monkey just adds more gain and a touch of tightness I believe.
Quote by sg622
you can get an ultra which is what the xxx bsically is. (correct me if im wrong ibanezP.)
check out IP's clips too if you havent. im saving for one as we speak.

Yup you are correct its the precursor to the Triple. And for the value it cant be beat also the thing is built like a tank. The internals and the way the knobs are mounted are pretty nice for an amp in this price range. Not to mention is sounds amazing and you can get marshall or mesa types of tones out of her with great cleans and a great reverb.
You'll be able to get those tones with a VK.

I would replace the speaker; then get an EQ pedal; then get a bad monkey.
Bad Monkey is the holy grail of budget pedals that work great for the VK. Only pedal I have tested to beat it for metal purposes is a $240 Keeley TS9 Flexi. Not bad for a $30-$50 dollare pedal

MXR M108 is a great EQ pedal if you dont have the cash get a Fish and Chips by Danelectro.

Speakers Vintage 30 by Celestion or Budget Veteran 30 by Warehouse speakers. Many others work great as well.

What genre are you into? The stuff listed is more for the metal genre..
(this question is probably for IbanezPsycho, )
I've been thinking about doing what IbanezPsycho did to his Ultra (removing the covering... or apholstry... or whatever you call it. And putting on another colour.)

But how hard is it to do? It seems like it would be kind of a hassle, but i really don't know... that's why i'm asking!

So...
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
(this question is probably for IbanezPsycho, )
I've been thinking about doing what IbanezPsycho did to his Ultra (removing the covering... or apholstry... or whatever you call it. And putting on another colour.)

But how hard is it to do? It seems like it would be kind of a hassle, but i really don't know... that's why i'm asking!

So...

Its pretty easy but can be a pain if you have never worked with upholstery. You have to know were to cut, how to cut, what to glue and how long to let it set and so on. I've been working with it for a pretty long time now before I got into guitars I was a car audio installer and making and re-finishing boxes was part of my normal routine.

One thing you could always do is take care in pulling the tolex off and lay it on the new tolex trace it out then cut out the design leaving some slack and then go from there.
Quote by stratoJim
Yes it does add a certain something. it is ideal for rock, metal and thrash players. depending on where it is located it affects the tone differently.

In the middle where I have it, it seems to tighten up the lows and low mids (a range that this amp doesn't do too well). At the bottom it makes the bass really pronounced and tight. I like mine where it is cause it is perfect for lead. Not too much bass and a good balance of highs and low to high mids (think satriani or paul gilbert)

I have tried numerous sizes including a cover for the whole thing but the larger sizes seemed to block the highs too much. 1X4 is a perfect balance, although I might try one more piece above the one I have.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably be trying it in the near future. Another question though, how did you attach the wood to the tolex?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Quote by fearo
Ok, thanks. I'll probably be trying it in the near future. Another question though, how did you attach the wood to the tolex?

The wood fits in the inside of the amp. two screws into the amp will hold it. if you don't want to put holes in your amp, just cut it so it fits tight.

i am expermenting with a cover for the entire back with the mods which bring out the highs. I am liking it so far. we'll see at band practice tomorrow.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its pretty easy but can be a pain if you have never worked with upholstery. You have to know were to cut, how to cut, what to glue and how long to let it set and so on. I've been working with it for a pretty long time now before I got into guitars I was a car audio installer and making and re-finishing boxes was part of my normal routine.

One thing you could always do is take care in pulling the tolex off and lay it on the new tolex trace it out then cut out the design leaving some slack and then go from there.

Eh... that sounds like more trouble than i'd like to do... haha.
I'll try it one day, maybe when i get some experience in upholstery, lol.
I'd hate to screw up my amp... just for a new colour...

btw: I got my ISP Decimator today!
Turned my VK to 4 today! (parents were home... gave me like ten minutes to play )
I love it... i actually forgot my amp was on today, haha... i was shocked when i didn't hear ANYTHING and then hit my guitar with my picking hand on accident, then heard a loud sound. Lol.
O O

___
My 112 has a problem. I has this annoying buzzing sound when ever I plug in. It buzzes when I plug into the 1st input & the 2nd input but not when I plug into the fx return. When I checked the tubes, all of them were glowing. Any ideas?
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
But it wasn't there before and its LOUD buzzing.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
probably a tube going out.

That or you plugged into another outlet with a crappy ground

Or there is an appliance on in your house that wasn't on or in the same loop as your amp before
Quote by stratoJim
probably a tube going out.

That or you plugged into another outlet with a crappy ground

Or there is an appliance on in your house that wasn't on or in the same loop as your amp before

yea even a laptop near your amp/guitar could be the problem.
Hey guys i would like to know if the VK is a fixed biased amp or cathode biased amp? The reason im asking is because once again today my tubes blew. Second time in a year. The inside gets red hot and its smells like its burning. Does anybody know why this would happen? I want to say its biased to hot? But im not sure. Thanks!
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
VK is fixed bias unless your tech altered it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
How do you change the power light?
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter Gryphon w/ Tone Zone & PAF Pro
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Eminence Texas Heat
Line 6 Space Chorus
Marshall Echohead
Morley Power Wah Volume
BOSS MT-2
Vox Satchurator
^Raijouta is right. But yocomo, there is more to this story I think so I searched on Valveking and Cathode and Vavleking + fixed. You asked this question back in March and I read thru some of the responses of that and some of the other threads.

It is fixed.
It also has cathode biased like features in that I don't think you need to get them biased.

Bartdevil or Psycho can probably explain further. I might be wrong and I'm trying to find the tread that explained this better.

Sounds like you have a different problem. You shouldn't be going thru tubes like that. I'm really not sure what to say. Maybe you got a lemon. How old is it? Maybe it is a bad output transformer. What have techs done so far? Are they changing the tubes for you and checking things out? If I'm wrong on this I'm going to edit all of this out.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by Akridosity
My 112 has a problem. I has this annoying buzzing sound when ever I plug in. It buzzes when I plug into the 1st input & the 2nd input but not when I plug into the fx return. When I checked the tubes, all of them were glowing. Any ideas?

well, if it doesn't buzz when you plug into the FX return, that sounds like a dying preamp tube
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by yocomobebes
Hey guys i would like to know if the VK is a fixed biased amp or cathode biased amp? The reason im asking is because once again today my tubes blew. Second time in a year. The inside gets red hot and its smells like its burning. Does anybody know why this would happen? I want to say its biased to hot? But im not sure. Thanks!

sounds like one of your grid resistors is going bad. either that or a diod tied to the power tubes. Take iit in to a tech.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^Raijouta is right. But yocomo, there is more to this story I think so I searched on Valveking and Cathode and Vavleking + fixed. You asked this question back in March and I read thru some of the responses of that and some of the other threads.

It is fixed.
It also has cathode biased like features in that I don't think you need to get them biased.

Bartdevil or Psycho can probably explain further. I might be wrong and I'm trying to find the tread that explained this better.

Sounds like you have a different problem. You shouldn't be going thru tubes like that. I'm really not sure what to say. Maybe you got a lemon. How old is it? Maybe it is a bad output transformer. What have techs done so far? Are they changing the tubes for you and checking things out? If I'm wrong on this I'm going to edit all of this out.

The VK IS fixed bias. Meaning you should be able to use any 6L6 power valves without any ill effects. There are a couple of things that can cause power valve failure:

1. Speaker Load Mismatch
2. Having the VK too near a heat source while playing
3. Playing for long extended periods/leaving your amp on stanby for extended periods
4. Neglect/Abuse
5. Using the wrong valves for the bias (i.e KT88s or EL34/84s)

there could be a couple more technical reasons:

1. The bias resistor has shorted/blown.
2. The output transformer is faulty. (this cost a lot, but I'm betting this isn't what it is).

Maybe IP can elaborate on some of the stuff
Page 8? Oh snap!

Anyway, I'm procrastinating on a paper right now and thought I'd tell of recent things...

I got the Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz yesterday, and it is pretty awesome. It's pretty wild, but it's got a nice tone.
On the clean channel, it's a bit more like a beefed up DS-1 that fuzzes when it's turned up a bit.
On the overdriven channel, it is pretty awesome. So far, I've managed some Hendrix, Jack White, and even some MUSE (something I've never been able to do!). I am glad I decided to finally buy it. I'm looking to try it with some TOOL later, and maybe some more Hendrix and Muse... it should sound pretty sweet. All-in-all, for $30 it's pretty awesome.

I also got new strings for each of my guitars, so wooo....

/randombump
Tried a covering made from plywood on the back of my 112. Sounded pretty good at practice. Lots of chunk. I played a semi dirty song and the chords were all there. great response and dynamics. I just screwed it to the back at the bottom.

really great closed back effect.
Bart - your part may want to go up front by Tube section.

Dudey - that's sweet, i want one of those pedals!

sratojim - glad to hear that worked well...*makes mental note*

did you just put on top of the lower peice or did you raise it up?
Well dudes Yesterday I tryed the dummy jack mod, and let me say wow the is a crazy improvment! Really a must do for any Valveking owner, as well as the effects loop mod, a few dollars never went so far.

Unforutnaly after about 30 minutes of playing the amp unexplainably stoped working, had to check all the tubes, 2 of witch where randomly blown(pre amp) once replaced nothing, took it in, they dont know? fortunatly only bought it a week ago, so they gladly took it back, unfortunatly they didnt have anymore

So i tryred out the single chanel 120 Watt Windsor threw a b52 cab, run threw my big muff and holy grail, THIS THING IS ON PAR WITH A F***ING JCM800 NO BS! i couldnt belive it man, Same tube design and all. Only differance from the Valveking is the they use 6L6GC and the Windsor uses EL34S like the JCM. Single channle rules! so simple. Heres the reak kicker Windsor head 250$ at Guitar Center along with a 175$ B52 400 Watt cab, and with the year warranty and all it was little over 520$

My valveking said and done was $703.00

Valveking was an awsome amp though while it worked, tones where killer!
Windsor RULES! Diggin Peavy!

Sorry for the ramble, haha Im all stoned :P
Guitars - Original 1981 Ibanez Artist Sunburst
Amplifiers - 100w All Tube Peavy Valve King 212 Combo
Tubes - 4 Groove Tube 6l6, 3 Groove Tube 12AX7
Cabinets - B52 Slant 400W 4X12"
Last edited by dopethrone420 at Oct 10, 2008,
well...the Windsor def gets kudos so good for you

knowing your tone this set up makes sense for you. Sorry to hear about your VK. If you do hear what was wrong do share. So did they credit you the difference toward your new set up? Stay in touch and contact Imgooley - he may want to hear your thoughts.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Bart - your part may want to go up front by Tube section.

Dudey - that's sweet, i want one of those pedals!

sratojim - glad to hear that worked well...*makes mental note*

did you just put on top of the lower peice or did you raise it up?

It just covers the whole back screwed right to the bottom piece and the peice i already have in there. I'd like to eventually make or buy a cab. This amp really sound great through closed back cab.

With my gain boost on and gain down to 9 oclock I get really great stock jcm 800 like tone. add bad monkey and I have another lead channel
I know this is off topic from the valveking thread but this seems to be one of the better PEAVY forums ive found so...

Anyone know if the 120 watt peavey windsor heads are self biasing? or if they are fixed?

thnx
Guitars - Original 1981 Ibanez Artist Sunburst
Amplifiers - 100w All Tube Peavy Valve King 212 Combo
Tubes - 4 Groove Tube 6l6, 3 Groove Tube 12AX7
Cabinets - B52 Slant 400W 4X12"
Not sure if anyone here will know for sure. I know UGr - Komet just got one. You can find his thread if you search on Windsor up at top right. I was also going to recommend asking in the peavey forums but I see you already did that. You can send them an email too if you don't get your answer on UG. Good luck.
Don't mean to interrupt on all the great discussion, but I have to say that this thread kicks ass. I recently got a VK212 and have been looking for ways to get a better tone out of it (IE, clear the muddiness). Thanks to this thread, I'm using the dummy-jack mod, getting some celestions (hopefully this weekend) and will start looking into the Bad monkey pedal. I'm bookmarking this thread. Keep up the great work guys.
Last edited by hellrazzer24 at Oct 10, 2008,