since no one is answering to the "what song should I learn" thread, I'm forced to kinda ask it this way. I'm an intermediate guitar player, and the thing is, I've grown tired of reading tabs and "memorizing" songs as they are, so I've decided to take the "hard" way with playing by ear. Been playing around 2 and a half years, I've tried to take some by ear and it just doesn't work, I recently got down Obituary - Download by ear, except the solos of course. So I'm looking for any metal in D tuning for ear training . So if anyone has any songs or bands to recommend, please do so.

I've tried Deaths "Scream Bloody Gore" album, but Chuck didn't palm mute alot back there, so there are some really "unclear" parts, I'm thinking of sticking with Obituary for a while, since they are pretty easy to get down, but other suggestions may come in handy.

Thanks
death metal is tough. children of bodom's hatebreeder album sounds good and is pretty clear-sounding though. also try symphony x if you're amazing at guitar. and kalmah also plays in D up until their newest album, but i've never tried playing a full song.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
D tuning as in D standard or drop D?

Ok, I've been playing for a bit over 2.5 years, I started ear training about a year ago, great decision b/c now whenever new songs come out I can learn em w/o waiting for tabs, that and I find that your song writing abilities grow a lot too once you know how to ear tab or have perfect pitch.

if you are in D standard learn All That Remains songs, "weak willed" is a good place to start seeing as how its tremelo picking, if you're feeling adventurous (and I recommend this highly), tab out some Lamb of God songs in D standard, it'll be a lot of fun/slightly hard seeing as how they are in drop D, but give it a shot, remember, take it slow section by section, and slow the songs down if you have to.

If you need any kinda help, PM me and I'll send you my email. I once was like that where I needed help and no one on this god damn board provided it =(
killswitch has some D but mostly drop C, however its pretty decent to work out by ear - you can do lead or rhythm

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by cptazad
D tuning as in D standard or drop D?

Ok, I've been playing for a bit over 2.5 years, I started ear training about a year ago, great decision b/c now whenever new songs come out I can learn em w/o waiting for tabs, that and I find that your song writing abilities grow a lot too once you know how to ear tab or have perfect pitch.

if you are in D standard learn All That Remains songs, "weak willed" is a good place to start seeing as how its tremelo picking, if you're feeling adventurous (and I recommend this highly), tab out some Lamb of God songs in D standard, it'll be a lot of fun/slightly hard seeing as how they are in drop D, but give it a shot, remember, take it slow section by section, and slow the songs down if you have to.

If you need any kinda help, PM me and I'll send you my email. I once was like that where I needed help and no one on this god damn board provided it =(

heh, thanks for response, standard D tuning, and since I own an Ibanez S470, I don't feel like unlocking the lock's, because my first 3 strings just break with my attempt to even set em in the E tuning, or anything higher than D. Anyhow, my main point is to understand the music I'm playing and not just reading it, and to raise my song writing skills .

Thx again
Don't just look at just Metal songs, look at songs from any genre. As long as it's training your ears, it doesn't matter what genre it is.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
a lot of triviums riffs are fairly straight forward and not that dificult to figure out like light to flies is a good song, also reinvention by as i lay dying would be good but its in drop c but that doesnt mean you cant play it in drop d it will just be harder to figure out.
Quote by Veroth
a lot of triviums riffs are fairly straight forward and not that dificult to figure out like light to flies is a good song, also reinvention by as i lay dying would be good but its in drop c but that doesnt mean you cant play it in drop d it will just be harder to figure out.

He's in D Standard, not Drop D.
Quote by TheBabySnatcher
Don't just look at just Metal songs, look at songs from any genre. As long as it's training your ears, it doesn't matter what genre it is.

The thing is, I have an Ibanez S 470, and the first 3 strings are a pain in the ass to get even a whole step down into D tuning, the thing is: the strings break because of the way strings are put onto an Zero Resistance thingy, it's the new-age floyd, so I can't put the strings like on normal guitar, behind it, and twitch em, I have to do the vice-versa deal. So I can't get not even up to D#, because the first 3 strings break. So I need songs mostly in D. Can't get the guitar lower because the strings hit the frets, and since I'm from Bosnia, I don't have a wide string choice here heh ^^

Might sound confusing and stupid, but that's the way it is, either I'm too stupid to tune this kind of floyd guitar or I just suck
For an awesome technical challenge, try Silent Night Bodom Night!!!

Try some simpler metalcore type stuff, their riffs are generally simple and phrygian based.

Scream Aim Fire, Eye Of The Storm, and Disapear by Bullet For My Valentine are pretty easy to work out and fun to play.
If you like Death, but Scream Bloody Gore didn't work out, try Symbolic (the album). It's not as crazy and all over the place with the riffs, more of a straightforward feel to them I find.. and probably easier to work out by ear