so i went to a guitar shop and they changed my guitar strings to 12-56 ernie ball, but the thing is, when im in drop d, there are very little fret buzz, but when i tune to like drop c, i get alot more fretbuzz

why is it like this? the strings are definitely thick enough for that tuning
Guitar: Ibanez RGR321 EXBK

Amp: Bugera 6260 head + 4x12 cab
You probably know that in order to produce sound, strings vibrate.

The combination of having thick strings and low tunings and possibly a low action will make the strings touch the frets when they're played.

Just raise your action and it should be fine.
hue
It's because the strings are under less tension and vibrate much more.
"Sleep with one eye open,
Gripping your pillow tight"

Metallica - "Enter Sandman"
well ok, the action is around 2mm, is that too low?

Last edited by ryphe at Oct 1, 2008,
that's ridiculous
how can you play in standard with 12s?!?!
that's crazy
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
i dont find it hard to play in standard with 12s, you just need to get used to it:P
but i almost never tune to standard, just drop c or drop d

Quote by led,rainsong
that's ridiculous
how can you play in standard with 12s?!?!
that's crazy

what are you talking about? im playing a guitar in standard tuning w/ 12s and relatively low action and its fine. i mean a little more than 2 mm thats definitely too low, but you can definitely play in standard w/ 12s.
The reason your getting fretbuzz is because when it was set up with 12's it was most likely set up for standard tuning. Regardless of how heavy your strings are, if they are set up for a higher tuning, when you go lower you'll have the same problems as you would if you were using regular gauges.
Quote by rokket2005
The reason your getting fretbuzz is because when it was set up with 12's it was most likely set up for standard tuning. Regardless of how heavy your strings are, if they are set up for a higher tuning, when you go lower you'll have the same problems as you would if you were using regular gauges.

THIS!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
So if i have to guitar set up to like drop c, will i not be able to tune to drop d or standard anymore or whaT? im a little confused

you can but you wont want to, cuz it will sound perfect in whatever you set it up for, but crappy in the other tunings.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top