Hi, I've long been looking to buy a (steel string) acoustic, and i need some outside opinion. I've played electric for 4 years now, butnever owned an acoustic guitar. well i have a classical guitar but thats pretty different. I'm a decent player, i just have no clue about acoustics.
So could you guys help me out and recommend me a guitar? I basicly know what sounds good i just need some ideas. I've tested quite a few guitars but mostly the ones i find good cost too much for me. My budget is around 400 euros (~600 bucks?)
And i dont need one with a microphone.
I really dont know much about brands of acoustics but i can give one piece of advice which i learned from.

Buy a shallow bowl back acoustic, i played electric for about 4 years too before i got my 1st acoustic and found a regular acoustic way too thick, i then purchased a shallow body and my acoustic playing came on alot better.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
If you're willing to splash out over £100 i highly recommend a LAG.

www.lagguitars.co.uk/
I know a few people who own them and i find then incredibly easy to play. Not liek the peice of shit i have which requires a fair bit of "oomf" to press the strings.

Or you could always get a cheap classical =D
Yamaha FG730S

but theres loads you can get of similar quality for around that price.

Low action on mine too, so i recommend it!
@ Deece: He said his budget was around 400 euros, which is like £300... Plus he said he already owns a classical, try reading the post :P

Hmm, maybe try some Fenders in that price range?
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

i looked for some fenders around 450~ and for some reason they looked kind of "unfinished". this one sounded pretty good but only pretty good and the pick guard looked like a cheap peace of plastic which kinda bothered me

Quote by alkalineweeman
I really dont know much about brands of acoustics but i can give one piece of advice which i learned from.

Buy a shallow bowl back acoustic, i played electric for about 4 years too before i got my 1st acoustic and found a regular acoustic way too thick, i then purchased a shallow body and my acoustic playing came on alot better.

what does shallow body actually mean?
with playability I dont really need an easy guitar as such but rather comfortable. After all ill mostly use it for rhythm and chords and such.

And btw does anyone have any experience with the taylor big baby guitar? Its weird in a way that the body is slightly smaller and its a bolt on (never seen that on an acoustic before). I just asked cause i rather liked the playing and it looked like it was beautifully crafted. Or am i just fooled with the "taylor" logo on the headstock?

edit: I checked some yamaha guitars and ill take a look at that one. some yamahas i tested sounded really bright and clear, just cant remember which yamahas they were
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Oct 1, 2008,
yeah, don't get the baby taylor.

alvarez, epiphone masterbuilt series, seagulls are all good brands to look at in that price range.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Make sure you avoid Ibanez acoustic guitars. Fender's are ok... not amazing guitars though. Generally speaking, companies that make great electric guitars just fail at acoustic guitars. Epiphone's Masterbilt series is an exception though. Those are just plain brilliant for the price.

I would suggest getting a normal sized acoustic instead of a thin one. Thin acoustic guitars(shallow body) are definitely more comfortable, but you sacrifice tone.

Avoid the big baby taylor and all martins in this price range. You pay for subpar materials on an okay guitar. the big baby sounds really bad a lot of the time.

try looking into Takamine and Seagull.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yeah well for me tone is most important and playability comes only after that. I saw some takamine guitars sold at one shop but they were pretty expensive, like over 800. Also the cheapest alvarez i've tried cost like 400 here.. it felt like a nice guitar though. The problem i think is that prices are way higher here (i live in finland) than the states or britain. Ill check out if i can find some epiphone and seagull guitars! I'll probably come back tomorrow and post a few options i have and ask for your opinion.
And i know its my own choice and I basicly know what kind of sound i want i just want some backup yknow
Ironically, that's just about what I'm looking for at the moment. I'm an electric guitar player (also have a classical :P) and am looking for an acoustic. My budget can go a bit higher though (like 550 Euros) but I'm left handed so you have a much wider range to choose from. Because of that I haven't been able to try a lot of models since most shops don't have any in stock where I live. I'm probably going to end up with a Seagull S6 though. It was this or the Yamaha APX which has a smaller body and is a dream to play, but the sound was lacking something. Good luck finding a guitar for you .
Hey SneakySneaky, can you post up some pics of your new acquisition? It's always nice to see all the new guitars that users around here have.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Haven't bought it yet mate. I said "I'm probably ending up w/ the Seagull". But no worries, once I do (which should be in a few days, maybe a week if I order it online) there will be plenty of pics !!
I basicly made a decision coz my dad has some friend who can get 20% off from anything they sell at this one store. They only sell yamahas and taylors there (taylors way too pricy for me). I tried out like 8 different yamahas and I ended up reserving a yamaha LL6T
http://www.thomann.de/fi/prod_bdb_AR_169345.html?image=0

which after the discount is bit under 500. what do you guys think? It plays wonderfully, and its really bright (i like that) and clear. And looks pretty good too.
The Taylor Big Baby is a great sounding guitar.
My sister has one, and it is very nice.
I personally own a regular baby and a 210, both are great.
Taylor makes excellent guitars.
Quote by OceanofNoise
The Taylor Big Baby is a great sounding guitar.
My sister has one, and it is very nice.
I personally own a regular baby and a 210, both are great.
Taylor makes excellent guitars.

sorry bud, they're excellent sounding guitars but not for the moolah.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Yeah, I'll admit you can find a better value than Taylor, but I do absolutely love mine.