Page 1 of 2
I am becoming increasingly interested in playing some Blues guitar. Can anyone give me artist and song recommendations?

Thanks for the time and consideration
When Thomas Edison was asked by his lab assistant how he felt about failing to create the light bulb so many times, he replied, " I never failed to create the light bulb, I just discovered a thousand ways not to create one."
Muddy Waters
BB King
Freddie King
Johnny Winters
Rory Gallagher
Taste
Eric Johnson (not specifically blues)
Robert Johnson

There's an endless list to be honest.
A thread I love to see! I guess you can start with the more rocky style blues playing style, which would typically be Clapton, Robert Cray, Joe Perry, The Allman Brothers.

But then you can get into some of the funky type blues Where you would find the Isley Brothers and Steely Dan.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Though there ain't nothin' wrong with jumpin' in at the deepend

I'll list a bit more for ya, just for helps

Howlin' Wolf
John Lee Hooker
Buddy Guy
Earl Hooker
Byther Smith
Luther Allison
Albert Collins
Ike Turner

I'll probably keep adding to this thread over time
You could look in the blues and jazz forum as well, quite a few nice lists and licks in there
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
How 'bout some really early blues stuff, like Robert Johnson and Lead Belly. You could have a fun time playing some of them and converting their songs to electric guitar.

EDIT: Some of the stuff:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4sml8W5SAwo&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJeoYnmqbw&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCHI23FTP8&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfcUZBMSSg&feature=related
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 1, 2008,
Joe Bonamassa, check him out
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Since none of you mentioned SRV, you must all be shot.

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Albert King
we pretty much owe SRV for the modern blues revolution
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I was tempted to mention SRV to be honest

But yeah, if you're into more modern playing as well, SRV would be a nice look in (playing wise).
But if you're into the more traditional blues, you may not like him. (I know quite a few people that hate him, which made me feel awkwards when I'd played a few SRV licks minutes before hand )

EDIT: ^ To be fair, after SRV passed blues pretty much went dead, who've we got? The old guys obviously, and people like John Mayer? Joe Bonamassa? that still do blues, but in modern days, it's usually music that incorporates blues over straight up blues.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I was tempted to mention SRV to be honest
To be fair, after SRV passed blues pretty much went dead, who've we got? The old guys obviously, and people like John Mayer? Joe Bonamassa? that still do blues, but in modern days, it's usually music that incorporates blues over straight up blues.

It's bitter sweet with John Mayer. He can really play some tasty blues when he wants to (just mimicking SRV) - but normally he just writes/plays the lamest crap so I can't get into him.
learn hideaway. its the basic licks and it is the shit.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
5RV: That was my point, it seems the blues just died after SRV, but I'm determind it'll come back one day.
If I ever get a ****in' bassist and drummer at least i'll be able to show this town back to the blues
Quote by Punk_Ninja
5RV: That was my point, it seems the blues just died after SRV, but I'm determind it'll come back one day.

There was a short glimmer of hope with KWS but then he turned into an asshole.
What are some good simple blues songs to learn to just get into blues and get a feel for it?
the artists listed above is a great start, just keep listening to songs and you will pick it up really quickly.

'you gotta live the blues to play the blues'-eric clapton
Cream fan club member #11.
A lot of amazing names have already been posted, but these two guys are also amazing
Claptons guitarists, well, one of the isn't anymore on this tour, but he's awesome too

Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks, amazing players, Doyle's got a very unique style and uses fuzz pedals so well, his tone and playing got me addicted to fuzz pedals
And Derek is probably one of the best slide players around, made me buy a glass slide and started practicing on slide A LOT.

If you want to see them in action you should buy the two Crossroads Guitar Festival dvd's, some of the best concerts ever if you ask me
Gary Moore ('After Hours')
Stevie Ray Vaughan
John Mayer Trio
Jeff Healey ('See the light' album definatly)
Joe Bonamassa

Good start on blues rock
Just had another read, no one has mentioned Jeff Healey before me... this RAGEEEEES me
You could also look for Ry Cooder. He's a great blues player, and a master in the slide technique...

Also, he was voter #8 in that crappy '100 Best Guitarists' Rolling Stone poll. (saw it on wikipedia =D)

But my two absolute favourites in terms of blues have to be Clapton and (mainly) SRV. The man's a true genius.

Oh, and last month I saw a concert of a guy named Nuno Mindelis; and he just stole the f*ckin show. He's a beast. You could check some of his work also (I heard he recorded an album with Double Trouble, SRV's band).
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
jeff healy the blind guy in the movie road house that dude is a bad ass also john lee hooker and robert johnson
im in the fastlane on the highway to hell
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Hello? Kevin Morgan, Joe B, Derek T, Gov Mule? The Black Keys? R.L. Burnside? John Spencer Blues Explosion? Nick Cave? The North Mississippi Allstars? The Bondi Cigars?

John Mayer isn't blues, by the way.
Quote by imgooley
Hello? Kevin Morgan, Joe B, Derek T, Gov Mule? The Black Keys? R.L. Burnside? John Spencer Blues Explosion? Nick Cave? The North Mississippi Allstars? The Bondi Cigars?

John Mayer isn't blues, by the way.

John Mayer Trio is sometimes sort of blues, if you stretch the term a little. Same with The White Stripes.

Back Door Slam too.

EDIT: Mayer has a ****ing Monterey Strat so he better try at least. Anyone know if it's one of the real ones?
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by pak1351
I love Jimmie Vaughn too (stevie's brother). And govt mule has some good blues rock.

After I read Stevie's biography, I hated his brother. Dude's a egotistical dickhead who could never play half as good as Stevie. And I'll tell ya, there was a tiny part of Jimmy that was happy when Stevie died. Jimmy always hated him because he was better and Stevie was never that type of guy.
Last edited by 5RV at Oct 1, 2008,
One of my favorite players is Buddy Guy.

Since none of you mentioned SRV, you must all be shot.

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Albert King

Excellent recommendation. Definitely pick up "In Session" by SRV and Albert King, it's a good album.

And I saw that imgooley mentioned North Mississippi Allstars. My dad showed me them, and they're also pretty good. I hadn't heard anyone else mention them before, though.
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by imgooley
The Bondi Cigars?

Yes! I love these guys. Bit liberal with the licks, but they can get away with it. Both left handed too!

I really like shane pacey's voice too. I like Eben Hale's guitar tone a bit better though.
Oh man....so many good ones. I think that most of what people posted here are a really good start.

John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Ko Ko Taylor, and Robert Johnson are some really good introductory blues artists. As is anything on Chess records really.

If you get brave you can try some of the artists on Fat Possum Records. Some of them are hit or miss, but some of their catalogue is fantastic. I personally feel like RL Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, and T-Model ford (T-model to a lesser extent) were keeping traditional blues alive. It's too bad RL and Junior had to leave this world

As for blues rock I like The Black Keys, North Mississippi Allstars, some of Outrageous Cherry's music, and a very, very select few songs by The White Stripes.
Yeah, I didn't see Hendrix either. listen to Martin Scoresee present: Jimi Hendrix, the Blues or Jimi Blues, the one with all the pictures on the front.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
jimi hendrix
stevie ray vaughn
allman brothers
howlin wolf
muddy waters
robert johnson
sonny boy williamson
taj mahal (early stuff)
eric clapton
albert king
t-bone walker
just some of the stuf you need to listen to but its the only stuff worth listening to
Last edited by the wise wizard at Oct 6, 2008,
Blind Willie Johnson
Skip James
Hound Dog Taylor
Sonny Terry
Brownie McGhee
Page 1 of 2