Would I be sucking all the fun ot of playing bass if I played on my own? Oh, and any of you taught yourselves how to play?

Thanks in advance.
Nobody taught them selfs here, we all went to the Ultimate-Guitar bass player meeting and got lessons.
Quote by almostdvs222
Nobody taught them selfs here, we all went to the Ultimate-Guitar bass player meeting and got lessons.

Er.. what?
Learning to play with songs and instrucional videos ain't bad. Playing with a band and learning that way ain't bad either, but get some level of skill before joining a band would always be good I reckon.

It's very possible it might be fun to learn by yourself aswell, just put your playing and technique into perspective.
Quote by Strati
Learning to play with songs and instrucional videos ain't bad. Playing with a band and learning that way ain't bad either, but get some level of skill before joining a band would always be good I reckon.

It's very possible it might be fun to learn by yourself aswell, just put your playing and technique into perspective.

But what If I don't join a band?
Well it all depends whether you WANT to be in a band or not, and nobody can give advice on that.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
But what If I don't join a band?

It's not impossible to play bass alone. You can make everything interesting if you want to. Go to http://www.myspace.com/lessthanpoetic and check out the song called Frunch (only bass and vocals).

I guess it depends on what you want to do in the future, solo always works, but it might (and I say might) be harder. As I said, with instrucional videos and playing along with songs you'd have a pretty good time while learning.

Do you wanna do it as a hobby(by yourself, friends etc), or become a professional bassplayer(bands, studio etc)?
Yes, you can teach yourself and play in your bedroom for the rest of your existence. And if you can get an audience interested in watching you stand alone on a stage and play bass, all power to you.

Whether you get a teacher or teach yourself, at some point you are going to need to use that knowledge in a playing situation. And we can all sit here and come up with a billion what ifs to the contrary, the fact is that playing live with other musicians is gonig to be the best way for you to become a musician and a performer.

I've spent the last 18 months "learning" to play jazz. However, being thrown into a situation with a drummer and a guitarist and having to really "play" jazz bass has made me a beginning jazz player. It forces you really apply all of that knowledge in a real time situation. It also forces your musical ear and how to relate what you play to the song and other musicians. Like Frank Zappa once said, there's something to be said about programmed synth tracks (they don't get hungover or ask for more pay) but live musicians are a fun experience because you have to adapt to playing styles, minor changes in rhythm and the occasional comment from the drum riser on how funny you look when you're playing "Green Onions".

I think you are cheating yourself by just playing alone.
Quote by Strati

Do you wanna do it as a hobby(by yourself, friends etc), or become a professional bassplayer(bands, studio etc)?

I dunno, It would start of by myself, and when I get better I would probably jam a bit, and who knows, in the future, we may form a small band?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll guess and partial copy what anarkee said to make myself look good.

I taught myself how to play using instructional tapes to show me proper technique and the books are very helpful aswell . (I used the Ultimate Beginner Series by REH video I think?, check musicians freind for Ultimate Beginner series)

Until I started playing for my Churchs youth group P&W band I never really enjoyed bass playing because I never saw the benefits of it.

You could sit in your room for years, be as good as Stu Hamm, play slap&pop solos with Flea recordings, but you will never have as much fun as you would fumbling to play 4 different notes in 4/4 with a band.
i taught myself, and primarily play alone, just cant find the jam mates ye know, like every musician has legged it lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
i taught myself, and primarily play alone, just cant find the jam mates ye know, like every musician has legged it lol

Same. I occasional play with a guitarist, but most of them are not into any of the music I like.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I thought I had that problem..of not finding playing alone interesting, and actually sold my bass rig.

Now, I have realized that I chose the wrong bass, because I was actually improving very quickly, and was beginning to write basslines that were very original and catchy to me based solely on music theory, without taking influence from any other style of music. that inspired me. So, I am shopping for a new bass!

Don't let a percieved pressure of being in a band get to you. A bassist is the same as any instrumentalist, they play the instrument. The bass is TRADITIONALLY not an "Accompaniment" instrument, but it can be. So, that being said, it's a lot EASIER to not be in a band for a guitarist, pianist, banjo....ist, etc. BUT, with the WEALTH of music theory open to a 4-stringer, you can get very good and still be very enthusiastic if you immerse yourself in theory/technique.
I was taught by Victor Wooten, sometimes when I'm bored I jam with Jeff Beck but besides that I play on my own.
Quote by anarkee
I think you are cheating yourself by just playing alone.

this. I mean, you can play alone, but playing with others is just so much more fun. take any chance to play with someone else.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
And I thought I was the only solitary bass player. Entirely self taught & enjoy learning from tab books & playing along to the CD that many of them come with. The great advantage is that you can play what YOU want to play. I have a few friends that play guitar & I keep dropping hints about getting together but so far, no takers!