My son (15) bought a BC Rich Beast a few weeks ago. While we were there my daughter (11) and I (44) both got the bug and went back the next week to get another guitar. I bought her a Squire Mini pack. I figured I could learn on it til I can afford one for me (looking at the inexpensive Ibanez). Just how old is too old to pick this up. My fingers are not working too well yet!
I think dead is too old. If you have the will and desire to learn, then age really doesn't matter. You just have to work a little harder, that's all.
44 isnt anywhere near too old, look at guys like metallica, satriani etc they are all getting on a bit but still going strong
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
I think for us older guys having actual time to practice is more of an issue than our actual age affecting our ability to learn.

Either way, its a lot of fun learning something new, and it sure beats my former past time (videogames).
id agree with the above, just find an hour a night...maybe even on headphones....and just jam to yourself
and who cares about age - yes it will take slightly longer to pick up but that doesn't mean you CAN'T pick it up
music is not about the image, or youth etc its about doing something you enjoy
so go and enjoy it
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
Quote by dandadog
I think dead is too old.

This. As long as you're alive you're never too old to learn.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yes, time has been the biggest problem so far. That and getting my finger to reach the E string. Fortunately my job allows me a lot of surf time so I have been able to do some research. Between this new hobby and the Camaro I am restoring, I'll bet my wife is about ready for husband number 3. lol
Quote by brooksman9
Yes, time has been the biggest problem so far. That and getting my finger to reach the E string. Fortunately my job allows me a lot of surf time so I have been able to do some research. Between this new hobby and the Camaro I am restoring, I'll bet my wife is about ready for husband number 3. lol

You'll be fine, just don't force yourself to do anything and it'll come in time; make sure your foundations are good and you'll be good in no time
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Man, I envy you so much for the Camero!!

I was put-off when I started playing at 18 (I'm now 23). Not so much because I thought that I was old, but because I kept reading about people who were great at guitar and started playing at like, 12 or younger.

I was actually really surprised how quickly I progressed, and I still love playing as much as I did when I started playing properly. Granted, I actually got my first guitar (a junior-sized, nylon-strung acoustic) when I was 4, but I never really bothered with it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that playing the guitar and music in general are very personal things, so don't let age stop you. Okay, you'll need to get over that emotional barrier and realise that you're not too old yet, but perhaps letting your hair down and 'rocking out' will be the thing to help do that?
Just like others said, you are never to old. I am just getting back into playing recently and plan on getting a band together to play some old school style punk. I will finally get on stage somewhere playing live and I am turning 38 in a few months.
No age is too old.

It's not necessarily like a sport, you can start at whatever age, and become as good as you like.

Though, with a sport you can do that too, just not as easily as when you were young..

You're never too old to start playing.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
44? Hah! Got you beat by two years...

Just bought my starter kit last Saturday. Then found out that somehow my fingers and brain disconnect as soon as they get near the strings

It's hard going so far, I'm hoping I cross some kind of invisible hurdle soon and things get a little easier. And what's up with the 'frostbite' feeling in my finger tips

But I'm having fun!
Last edited by KKop at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by KKop
44? Hah! Got you beat by two years...

Just bought my starter kit last Saturday. Then found out that somehow my fingers and brain disconnect as soon as they get near the strings

It's hard going so far, I'm hoping I cross some kind of invisible hurdle soon and things get a little easier. And what's up with the 'frostbite' feeling in my finger tips

But I'm having fun!

I had that when I started. I'm pretty sure that hasn't really got anything to do with age. I was 17 when I started.

That's 10 months ago now. I don't know other people's standards, but I like my progress and I think I'm doing pretty well. I know of some people who started on a later age who went on to do fine. If you have the time and dedication, there's no reason you can't do the same.

So basically what dandadog said.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
I had a similar fear when I started. I got my first guitar when I was 23, and was bummed it took me so long to start. Now, 3 years later, I amaze myself how far I have progressed by just being passionate and playing every day. It's a great feeling, that I think you can appreciate just a little bit more when you are older.
You're too old when you're dead.

Certainly, you probably won't be headlining a heavy metal band, but why should age determine what you do for your own personal enjoyment? Playing music is both enriching and personally rewarding, why would age have any determination in that?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Never to old to start a music instrument.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Asked the same question a couple months ago. Just started myself at 42. Been slow in some areas, but I think it's more of a practice time issue than anything else.

The biggest stumbling blocks for me have been sticking to proper technique. I tend to have trouble with some chords not ringing true due to finger placements. More a matter of flexability than anything else at this point.
I'm 46 and started about seven months ago.I had a chance to buy a new Martin DR-16 at 1/2 price,so I did and then figured I better give it a shot! It's tough though.Right now I'm having some teacher issues,but that will straighten out.I'd say about everyother month I 'm gonna quit but then I get the tough part and I'm loving it again!!It's like climbing a huge mountain and I try not to look at how far I have to go but how far I've come.I also have high expectations of myself which I need to lower a bit and not be so hard on myself.My Dad was a pretty serious classical/jazz guitarist who also did a lot of arranging for Louis Armstrong,Tommy Dorsey,etc.Gibson made hiim a new guitar every year,so I guess that plays a part in my high expectations of myself.Right now I'm having a lousy guitar week(sick with flu).
I think you progress faster when you are older. Practicing doesn't seem like homework any more! Make sure to practice the foundation stuff (chords, scales), but do yourself a favor and download Powertab (it's free) and learn to play a few easy songs you like as well. The fun of that will keep you going through the other boring stuff.
I'm 46, I took up bass 3 years ago and now I'm in two bands and starting a third with my husband (who is a drummer). Now granted I didn't start cold on bass--I had been playing guitar for years, along with other instruments, but I agree its never too late to start playing.

On practicing--yes it can be challenging, but it can be done. I try to fit in at least an hour a night and then carve out time where I can. Its a great stress reliever and beats watching bad TV.

And like others, it was my then 9 year old son who decided to play guitar that got me back in the groove of playing so to speak.
Quote by vegetable-jim
44 isnt anywhere near too old, look at guys like metallica, satriani etc they are all getting on a bit but still going strong

To be fair James started playing at 14, Kirk at 15. But....not the point lol. Really, what everyone else is saying. It's never too late to start, and in some cases easier as your much more mature and certainly have more discipline at 44 than say your teens. Good Luck!
your not to old.... almost everyone has certain areas they struggle in.. and finger speed seems to be quite often one of these.

good luck with it, ive only been playing about 6 months (18 now) but go for it! its awesome
Maybe if you have crippling arthritis, that might be a reason. Otherwise you can pick up the guitar at any age. I started getting serious again at 40 after having not playing for 15 years. It takes a little longer to get things down compared to the young folks. But what we lack in muscle memory we make up for in patience and commitment.
I started at 41. The only problem I have noticed is the old dexterity isn't what it once was. You younger guys have it made in that department for sure. Things do progress but it certainly is at a slower pace once you pass a certain point in life.

Enjoy it young-uns! You will be here before you know it. AND! The older you get the faster the days pass. What you think of as a "long time" now, is a blink later.

Chris