ok well im kinda a beginner guitarist at about 9 months of experience and my one friend and myself are going to be playing Change by Taylor Swift for a talent show. I am doing the guitar in it, and i found a tab that says the tuning is Capo on the first one. Im not completely sure what Capo means so if anybody knows, feel free to help out. thank you
A capo is a device that you put on the guitar and it holds down all the strings at that fret. go to your guitar store and ask them to show you a capo and how they work. I think they're about 10 bucks
Si
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by Shoeless Hobo 8
is there anyway to be able to capo or whatever it is withouth that device

You can build your own, you cant capo without a capo :P there very easy to come back, every music store will have one.
You can just play it in a different key (if the singer is up for it). Play the same chords just without the capo.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Tune up a half step.... problem solved.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Quote by Shoeless Hobo 8
is there anyway to be able to capo or whatever it is withouth that device

I think you could use barre chords, but alas I've never heard this song you're playing, so I don't know if that would work or not.

But I recommend just buying one. Or transposing the key. But buy one anyways.
Or you can use a spoon and place the handle over the strings just before the first fret and tie it down with a shoelace. I used to do that. I did it on an old beat up guitar though. It worked fine and didn't harm my guitar. I never did it with my nicer guitars like that though. I just bought a capo.

Or like highwaysalmon said figure out a different way to play the song without the capo.
Si
so my opitions are either tune up half step, play it without capo and have the singer in a different key, or just go buy/make a cape
The Capo goes around the neck and can be picked up for about 20 bucks. It allows you to play a variety of keys in the easier open positions that most guitarists use A, D, E, G ,F, C. without playing bar chords. Since it is Capo 1 you can take all the notes down a 1/2 step and play those bar chords but that would be much more difficult. IE the D chord would then be a C# and the G would become F# and so on. Many country songs are Capo'd I would recommend picking one up, it will make playing much more fun and allow you s a beginner to play many more songs with the chords you know.
capos are NOT necessary, and there's no one song you can't play without a capo.
they only comply to people's laziness to improve their guitar playing.

/activate flame shield
ok thanks guys, i think i found my answer. if i need any more help ill be sure to come back here. thank you all
Quote by RCalisto
capos are NOT necessary, and there's no one song you can't play without a capo.
they only comply to people's laziness to improve their guitar playing.

/activate flame shield

lol I think they're useful, who wants to tune up again everysong?
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU
^^^are you calling this guy lazy?
**** i forgot the being owned shield.

but actually, that guy should be MORE lazy xD
he could play lead himself, and have another guy play rhythm (in a live situation)
there's really no need to play both.

but look at word choice. NEED. NECESSARY. there's nothing wrong with playing multiple lines in one instrument, but that's what bands are for.
Quote by gonzaw
I never had or heard about capos..
So it is just like you barring a fret all the time?

Can you switch positions mid-way through the song?
Like if you have a capo on the 12th fret, but you want to play a low A, put it back to the 5th?

You can but unless there is a major pause in the song, you wont be able. However on youtube i saw this insane guitar solo which started on with a capo on the 12thfret whilst another person moved the capo to the 15th fret whilst the other guy was playing.

Anyways, to solve the initial problem. Tuning up 1/2 a step nearly always results in some kind of string breakage for me. So invest in a capo. And for those who say you dont need one, forget it. You could spend a whole afternoon changing chords up or down and figuring out different fingerings, or you could just buy a capo.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by gonzaw
I never had or heard about capos..
So it is just like you barring a fret all the time?

Can you switch positions mid-way through the song?
Like if you have a capo on the 12th fret, but you want to play a low A, put it back to the 5th?

There are different kinds of capos. Some use screws to achieve enough pressure to hold the strings down. Some use elastic straps. Some use springs.

The spring capos would be easiest to change mid song as it would just be squeeze move release.

Most hold down all the strings at a desired fret but some, as in the vid posted above of that dude playing some awesome acoustic guitar, will only hold down some of the strings. Allowing some strings to be played below the capo.

Basically it acts as a permanent barre at a certain fret and frees up your fingers for other things. It's not about laziness.
Si
I've seen a bunch of finger style guitarists utilize moving a capo in mid song, but more often than not it's a special Drop D capo that they use, slipping it on and off the Low E string changing the open string bass note. I don't think capos are for lazy guitarists, granted some use it that way, but there are plenty of neat cut capos and such that can make some sweet voicings. I use a cut capo where it skips one string and holds the next three. Sometimes I use it like a permanent Esus4 chord, or sometimes I like to use it as an open A chord. Sometimes I pair it with a full capo and bring up the key. In fact, the latest song I recorded I played it Capo 1 with a Cut Capo on 5, I played the song in the key of F (the C shape chord was now an F) and with that extra bass note, just really opened up some neat voicings. Get a capo buddy, get a bunch of em.......
You could spend a whole afternoon changing chords up or down and figuring out different fingerings, or you could just buy a capo.

oh, spend a whole afternoon learning and getting smarter, or spend the whole afternoon playing songs.

this convinced me