How much is a guitar really worth?

Like a 1000€ Gibson Les Paul.
The materials and work behind it probably arn't really worth anywhere near 1000€, right?
Anybody got a price list?
Quote by ElmoChipshot
well the name definately does add a good bit to the price, but theyre good guitars

I was just telling my friend how I was in this awesome guitar shop today (he wasn't interested at all but whatever) and how they had guitars there up to 600€ cheaper than the other shops in my area and he was like: "You know that they still are overpriced as hell, right? The metal and wood is never worth 1000€"
Labour really counts for something too.

If you had built a custom guitar... Good quality from scratch.

The parts (lets throw a number out there) could cost $400...

Would you sell it for $400?
500$ total max?
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
i always wanted to know how much a car actual was worth..like the materials...probably close to nothing but they still want 30000 dollars for it
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I don't have a Les Paul.

Lets take this for example
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_traditional_eb.htm

Probably worth about 600 euro all told, but it's all about profits. People buy them at those prices, so they sell them at those prices. Value really is subjective. For example, that guitar may be worth every penny of what it costs to me, but someone else might like waffle irons. The guitar is probably of no value to them.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
also just things like the 1 inch of wood they add to the end is like hundreds of dollars
Wood isn't worth a whole lot. But when a craftsman makes a stradivarius violin out of it, boom, it's worth a boatload. It's not the wood, its the end product.
In the end it's really only worth what someone eventually pays for it. (To the seller anyway).
The guitar is no different.

If you tried to build a car from parts in a store, it would cost you 3 times what the car costs new.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Wood isn't worth a whole lot. But when a craftsman makes a stradivarius violin out of it, boom, it's worth a boatload. It's not the wood, its the end product.
In the end it's really only worth what someone eventually pays for it. (To the seller anyway).
The guitar is no different.

If you tried to build a car from parts in a store, it would cost you 3 times what the car costs new.

Exactly....except the Stradivarius thing. With Stradivarii...? it's all about the wood. But if you disregard that fact, the example rings true.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Exactly....except the Stradivarius thing. With Stradivarii...? it's all about the wood. But if you disregard that fact, the example rings true.

Yea I thought about that, strad wood isn't average wood. But it was posted and the point was there. Cheers.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
haha. completely irrelevant, anyway.

Don't judge me.
Also, when buying a Gibson you are paying for the name. Gibson has an established reputation for producing high quaility guitars. Would you rather pay a lesser price for something that you're really not sure about or pay a little bit extra knowing that the product you will recieve will be top notch!?
I'd rather pay less, knowing that gibbies aren't really all that top notch.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'd rather pay less, knowing that gibbies aren't really all that top notch.

Well that was just an example. Personally I think Gibsons are way overpriced for what you're getting - I would rather play an Epi because imo there isn't a $1000 between the two.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Stradivarius violins weren't just wood, they were craftsmanship far superior to most modern violins. That is what makes them worth so much.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
a good guitar that unleashes your creativitly and plays like a dream is priceless in the right hands.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well that was just an example. Personally I think Gibsons are way overpriced for what you're getting - I would rather play an Epi because imo there isn't a $1000 between the two.

I know what you're saying, I wasn't trying to pick your comment apart.

If I want a gibson like guitar I'd probably look at agile, edwards, or guild.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by stradivari310
Stradivarius violins weren't just wood, they were craftsmanship far superior to most modern violins. That is what makes them worth so much.

Craftsmanship was undoubtedly superior. But wood plays a huge role.
Secret to Stradivarius
It's undeniable. But craftsmanship certainly plays a huge role.

Don't judge me.
Aristotle once said "the whole is more than the sum of its parts", and I think that's pretty true - but I still hate Gibson's outrageous markup.

Also, I really hate shipping charges, tariffs and taxes on my imported products.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??