everyone says practice sloowwwww

well ive i can max something at like 132bmp ive been starting it at like 100 bpm
should i go slower?
Start at around 60-80bpm. It actually takes more concentration to play at those speeds accurately, as you have longer to anticipate each beat. Then when you're perfectly in time at those speeds, increase the tempo by 2-5bpm and repeat.
As slow as it takes for you to do the technique properly.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Go as fast as you can without ****ing up. It's not really rocket science. If you keep ****ing up, then slow down until you can play it cleanly and practice there.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Slaytanic6606
As slow as it takes for you to do the technique properly.

this. this is your right answer

i can play pretty quick personally but i still go back and play slowly as i've found once you're able to go quicker its harder to go back and play slowly and in time.
the idea is to play slowly and perfectly and once you can do that with no hitches for i'd say at LEAST 3 or 4 days then turn up the tempo a little. if you think you're doing perfect then record yourself and play it back and listen to yourself when you play. the tape doesn't lie and it can be an evil evil wh0re. if you listen and something sounds off with your playing you can catch it early and go back and fix it.
Quote by cemetarygates31
how long should i spend on each slow tempo
especially if i can play it perfectly clean

Perfectly cleanly, and perfectly loose.

Then you wait a week and you will be able to play maybe 5bpm faster at the same quality.

For the record, I start at around 20bpm and I nearly never practice above 40.
Quote by Freepower
Perfectly cleanly, and perfectly loose.

Then you wait a week and you will be able to play maybe 5bpm faster at the same quality.

For the record, I start at around 20bpm and I nearly never practice above 40.

wait
so as uno ive been in this plateua
your saying i should only practice between 20-40 bpm at 16 notes?
and not go to my max at around 132?
Last edited by cemetarygates31 at Oct 1, 2008,
Here's my rough formula for when I'm working on song parts. This assumes that the material is difficult and I have to work on it to get it to the correct speed.
- Initial learning. I always start at 40 (the lowest my metronome goes) and don't really speed it up much even if I can. Maybe I'll go to 60. Depends on the material. I find stuff sinks into muscle memory MUCH better when I learn it super slow.
- Working it up to speed. Weeknights where I'm limited on time, I start at 60 usually. Weekends when I have more time, I start at 40. Depending on what my current top speed is I go up in increments of 4 or 8. This is a time thing as well. If my top speed at something is 190 bpm, it could easily be an hour going up in 4s, which I don't have, so I go up in 8's for stuff like that. At each increment, I make sure I can nail it perfectly at least 3 or 4 times before I go to the next tempo. If I reach a tempo where I can't play it cleanly anymore I stop there. Same goes if I start having tension that I can't make go away by concentrating on relaxing.
- Unless something is rhythmically really difficult, I don't half time it. For me, playing 16ths at 40 is much more valuable than 8ths at 80. At 40, you really have to concentrate on having perfect timing, whereas 8ths at 80 is just easy.
Quote by se012101
Here's my rough formula for when I'm working on song parts. This assumes that the material is difficult and I have to work on it to get it to the correct speed.
- Initial learning. I always start at 40 (the lowest my metronome goes) and don't really speed it up much even if I can. Maybe I'll go to 60. Depends on the material. I find stuff sinks into muscle memory MUCH better when I learn it super slow.
- Working it up to speed. Weeknights where I'm limited on time, I start at 60 usually. Weekends when I have more time, I start at 40. Depending on what my current top speed is I go up in increments of 4 or 8. This is a time thing as well. If my top speed at something is 190 bpm, it could easily be an hour going up in 4s, which I don't have, so I go up in 8's for stuff like that. At each increment, I make sure I can nail it perfectly at least 3 or 4 times before I go to the next tempo. If I reach a tempo where I can't play it cleanly anymore I stop there. Same goes if I start having tension that I can't make go away by concentrating on relaxing.
- Unless something is rhythmically really difficult, I don't half time it. For me, playing 16ths at 40 is much more valuable than 8ths at 80. At 40, you really have to concentrate on having perfect timing, whereas 8ths at 80 is just easy.

so even if u can play it at like 100 bpm
u still start at 40 bpm?
16 notes rite?
Yes, to both. So on a given day, I'd play the same section at 40, 48, 56, 64, and so on. Unless I'm short on time, then I start at 60.
There is no set speed for what is slow. It chages from player to player.You need to be playing as slow as it takes for you to be able to analyze your technique. This means you are thinking..'ok my hand is loose, I am making efficient picking motions, I am staying close to the string, I am not gripping the pick too tightly, I am muting ok without applying any extra pressure'. Essentially if you wanna play hyper speed picking licks in the future it needs to be effortless. Its only going to be effortless with extremely slow practice focusing on these things. As they say speed is a by product of accuracy. Whilst jumping up the metronome quick seems like your gonae be flying in no time...it only hinders your progress. You need to play perfect slow to play perfect fast.
Andy