I have noticed that with my bass, regardless of amp settings, some days I play I get a really full, crisp tone, and others I get a really mushy (yes, I know, awesome word choice) tone. On days like the former example, I also feel more versatile, and, well... better. And, as you can tell, on days like the latter example, I feel very clumsy.

Now I have two theories as to why this happens:
1) Change in humidity alters the tension of my strings (I play better with more tense strings).
2) On some days my hands are more versatile than others, due to muscle exhaustion, or whatever it may be.

Does anybody have any idea if either of these theories is true or have any other ideas?
Last edited by food1010 at Oct 1, 2008,
Sounds to me like your pick hand technique is in need of improvement.

If that's not it, your active pickups (if you have them) probably need a new battery.

Your electronics could be shorting.

Your pickups could be going.

Your jack could be having problems (either in the amp or on the bass).

Your cord could need replacement.

It could be a problem with the amp's head technology.

Good luck.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

If that's not it, your active pickups (if you have them) probably need a new battery.

Good luck.

I seem to have the same problem as TS...so, I have a few questions about your troubleshooting:

What are "active" pickups? And what do you mean by "electronics could be shorting"?
Quote by strat0blaster
Quite possibly.

Quote by strat0blaster
They're passive.

Quote by strat0blaster
I doubt it. It's happened to me before, this is different.

Quote by strat0blaster
I doubt any of these are creating a problem.

You see, I'm almost certain it's my right hand technique or the string tension, because I can physically feel a difference in the strings. Maybe I need new strings? Your first proposition is quite possibly the problem. If it is, what is the solution?
Quote by food1010
Quite possibly.

They're passive.

I doubt it. It's happened to me before, this is different.

I doubt any of these are creating a problem.

You see, I'm almost certain it's my right hand technique or the string tension, because I can physically feel a difference in the strings. Maybe I need new strings? Your first proposition is quite possibly the problem. If it is, what is the solution?

Just more practice, man. Gotta put in the hours. Focus on keeping your hand even above the strings while you play, and try to keep your finger picking even on each. You also probably need to strengthen your fingers, as most commonly this occurs because the muscles get tired and you either push too hard to compensate, or it slowly gets quieter because they're fatigued.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Just more practice, man. Gotta put in the hours. Focus on keeping your hand even above the strings while you play, and try to keep your finger picking even on each. You also probably need to strengthen your fingers, as most commonly this occurs because the muscles get tired and you either push too hard to compensate, or it slowly gets quieter because they're fatigued.

Alright thanks for the help.
For the right hand, a light touch is essential, all of the time. Don't strain your wrist if you want to accentuate a note, just pluck it quicker than you normally would. Just relax.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410