Poll: .......
Poll Options
View poll results: .......
Get new amp
41 95%
Get new guitar
2 5%
Voters: 43.
At this point it has really just become a question of "which one do I hate more?" I still have my starter guitar. It's a epiphone les paul junior. I feel that I need to upgrade as I'm already pretty decent at guitar. But at the same time I have a line 6 spider 3. I ****ing hate this amp. The tone sucks and it's just gay as ****. I'm not sure what to do here. I'm thinking of getting a Schecter C1 FR Blackjack and a Peavey Valve King for the amp. The amp is a lot cheaper and I have the money for it so I'm considering the amp. But I also want to wait it out and save for the guitar. I'm hoping that if I do get the new guitar it'll sound good with the line 6.
well alot of your sound is your amp so the new guitar might sound better but I would get the new amp first and then save for the guitar
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
If you get a new guitar it won't sound much better at all, it's the amp that shapes your sound.

Go with the Valveking dude, you'll be really happy with it!
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
amp is more important as a nice Schecter will still sound like ass through the Spider, but the Epi will sound half decent through a VK
ohai little sig.
Amp is always more important. You can't make a shitty amp sound good with a great guitar, but you CAN make a shitty guitar sound better with a good quality amp.

Usually as a rule of thumb, anything Line 6 does in an amp is something to stay away from.

In my opinion, anyway.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Valveking FTW! And trust me, i own one!

I upgraded from a Line 6 Spider 3 just like you... and i could not be MORE happy w/ my purchase.
And i'm still playing through a Fender STARcaster ... ($80 eBay) New amp is a definate.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 1, 2008,
Buy the amp first, then the guitar. Schecter is awesome btw...
My Gear
Electrics - Ibanez RG370DX
Acoustics - Takamine EG510SC, Victoria Classic
Pedals - Ibanez WD7, Marshall ED1, Digitech DF7, Boss AC3, Marshall RG1, Digitech XDD
Amplifiers - Laney HCM15R, Roland Micro Cube
I'm guessing that you play heavy rock/metal...

I wouldn't go for valveking for the more extreme metal tones, as you'll find yourself wanting to add an OD pedal, change the speakers and generally upgrade it to get a better metal tone (costing lots of your precious moneys) when you could spend a little more in the first place and get a nicer amp that wouldn't need modding.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
It depends....If you are in giging band....Then mos def get the amp first....But if you just practice at home on your own time and dont play live shows, then you might want to go with the guitar first.

But I would like to congradulate you on hating the Line 6....Most guitar players who are fairly new to guitar love line 6 because they are "guitar-tone" def.

Good luck!
i have a valve king, and i like it alot. nice thick tone coming out of it.

i'm not a metal guy, i'm into everything between blues to hard rock though, and this amp does it all, and for a great price. (man i should be a sales person for Peavy!)
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
I'm guessing that you play heavy rock/metal...

I wouldn't go for valveking for the more extreme metal tones, as you'll find yourself wanting to add an OD pedal, change the speakers and generally upgrade it to get a better metal tone (costing lots of your precious moneys) when you could spend a little more in the first place and get a nicer amp that wouldn't need modding.

Yes I am into metal

So then what other amps should I look into?
20 votes and they all say amp. I think you have your answer.

If you're worried about sounding like crap, fix the amp, you know, where the sound comes from.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by o_hai_dere
Yes I am into metal

So then what other amps should I look into?

More pricey than the Valveking is the Peavey 5150 or 6505 combo (righteous metal tones, BUT clean channel not the greatest).

I have heard nice things about the Randall RG50TC (I have not played one myself though...).

If you can afford it (look for a used one) and really feel like spoiling yourself, check out an ENGL combo. May be too pricey.

Also look for some MESA/BOOGIE amps, and check out Laney too.

I never looked into loads of combos though. Found a Laney VH100R halfstack cheaper than a VK
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
dude... i think u should sell me the guitar and get a new one! im kinda in the same position and i have been looking at semi cheap Epi guitars... including the LP Jr.
i plays the geetar, drums, and anything else you hand me
:stickpoke:
If you're lookin for an amp, I got my Peavey XXX 100+ watt combo used for 450.

I'd highly recommend it. The thing is like new, and the tone is insane. Great for metal.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
If you're lookin for an amp, I got my Peavey XXX 100+ watt combo used for 450.

I'd highly recommend it. The thing is like new, and the tone is insane. Great for metal.

But isn't 100 watts really loud? I don't have a band yet.

More pricey than the Valveking is the Peavey 5150 or 6505 combo (righteous metal tones, BUT clean channel not the greatest). I have heard nice things about the Randall RG50TC (I have not played one myself though...). If you can afford it (look for a used one) and really feel like spoiling yourself, check out an ENGL combo. May be too pricey. Also look for some MESA/BOOGIE amps, and check out Laney too. I never looked into loads of combos though. Found a Laney VH100R halfstack cheaper than a VK

I've heard that 5150/6505 is too loud for bedroom practice tho? And do they even have combos of these?
I'd recommend upgrading to a vox valvetronix or peavey vypyr for lower end amps, or maybe even a roland cube. For higher end stuff, i'd say valveking with an OD pedal. Get one of those and you'll still have some money left that you can put aside until you save enough for a new guitar as well.

And yes, the 5150/6505s do come in combos.
^Yes they have combo's, but the 5150/6505 is no bedroom amp, neither is 100 watt XXX. Is this amp strictly for bedroom practice, or do you jam with a drummer or plan on getting people to jam with?
Quote by caraluzzo
^Yes they have combo's, but the 5150/6505 is no bedroom amp, neither is 100 watt XXX. Is this amp strictly for bedroom practice, or do you jam with a drummer or plan on getting people to jam with?

At this point I'm not too sure. Right now I don't have people to jam with. So I'm trying not to go overboard with the wattage or size. I'm looking more into the valve king as it seems like my best bet.