Like I said, I think I could've done a much better job than this, but RL meant I didn't have as much time as I thought I would. Here it is anyway:

Zico Chain - Food
Hassle Records.

The first I heard about these guys was in an article in NME, where they were described as "The New Nirvana". Those two facts alone should have meant I disregarded them entirely. However, when I heard they were touring with Velvet Revolver, I decided to give them another chance. Since that moment I've been forcing them down the throats of everyone who will be quiet long enough to listen to me.

A simple lineup of guitarist, bassist/vocalist and drummer, they play music that just grabs your balls and forces them to dance. It's hard-rock with a lot of grit, both in the guitars and the vocals of Chris Glithero. The riffs are never complicated or flashy, but at the same time they are always distinctive and original and, with the help of drop C tuning, are heavy enough to sink a battleship. The drums are where this album has really improved on their earlier work (a self-titled EP). Before this album was written, most of the drumming was monotonous and uncreative, but on Food Oli has stepped up the game and come up with some fanastic little beats. On Junk, for example, the drums actually extend beyond just keeping the beat, something that was unimaginable on the EP.

It is with the vocals that Zico Chain stamp their uniqueness. With a voice which frequently draws comparisons to the late Kurt Cobain, Chris has had to work hard to live up to the hype. And he does. A fantastcally gritty voice that my words cannot do justice to. Go listen to Where Would You Rather Be? and find out for yourself.

However, it is the way the band manages to be a heavy rock band without sacrificing melody that makes them my favourite new band. These songs may be unapologetically rocking, but at their core is a beautiful melody. Pop songs with bite, you may say. A lot of bite

The album itself is fairly short, with 11 songs clocking in at ever so slightly more than half an hour long. Any longer, though, and your brain probably couldn't hack the pace. The vast majority of the songs are straight up, relentless, hard-rock. Only All Eyes On Me calms things down for any length of time.

A brief track by track:

1. Pretty Pictures - Start as you mean to go on. Lovely little bassline followed by a drum roll and then it's headbanging all the way. (****)
2. Where Would You Rather Be? - Guitar riffs galore (a full tab is available on the band's myspace, go learn it ) and probably my favourite vocal on the album. (*****)
3. Last Week's Genius - A big fuzzy guitar intro and then, once again, straight into the headbanging. (****)
4. Junk - The undoubted highlight of the album. That's about all I have to say. (*****)
5. Roll Over - Originally on the EP, it's been re-recorded for this album. A very "punk" guitar riff opens this up. Still has the slightly uncreative drumming, and it was never one of my favourite songs on the EP either, but still good. (***)
6. Preach - Another of my very favourite tracks on here. Fanastic guitar playing and a chorus to die for. (*****)
7. No Hoper Boy - A riff that could be off Biffy Clyro's new album, and a surprisingly good soft falsetto in the chorus make this song. (*****)
8. Your Favourite Client - Not one of the stand out tracks, but certainly not just filler. (****)
9. Nihilism - Opens with a very dark guitar line, before moving into a quiet verse and a loud-as-**** chorus. (****)
10. All Eyes On Me - A fantastic set of lyrics telling a really lovely story. Yet another fantastic vocal performance in the chorus. (*****)
11. Anaemia - After all that, they were undoubtedly going to finish with a bang. A feedback-heavy intro and then a monolithic riff feed into another classic Zico chorus. Finishes with a distinctive Paul Frost solo and Chris screaming "All alone in my anaemia. (*****)

Easily a 10/10 album overall.

It's almost a shame 2007 was filled with so many good albums, this would have been the standout album of just about any other year.

From the sounds of the demoes on their Myspace, the band might be going in a (slightly) more mainstream direction on their next album. If they do, watch out, becuase they will be fucking huge.

Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
My mate goes on about them all the time, and I've ignored him. With this review, I rather regret that.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Oh, I like this.

But I have a question. Do you really dance to this, Frenchy? And if so.. Vid please.

Edit: Oh wow, this really does sound like Bleach if Bleach was produced better. You've sold me.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
You don't really need to sell me on this, I already like them. But good review.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Such a good review. How will I ever match this?

It sounds like a rockin' album. Might check these guys out soon.

has no signature.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Oh, I like this.

But I have a question. Do you really dance to this, Frenchy? And if so.. Vid please.

Edit: Oh wow, this really does sound like Bleach if Bleach was produced better. You've sold me.

My balls do, yes.

Ummm...we'll see about pics

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Anyone check this out?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by red157
Long month.

Album of the fortnight next time, maybe?

That sounds good.

Also, I might pick up this album soon (legally, for once :/). They sound pretty good judging by small doses of their music I've heard.
I've had this blaring in my ears without really listening to it, but as it got to Anaemia, headbanging commenced.

"I feel much bigger than this"