I was wondering what type of pickups i wanna get of that brand for lead guitar in heavy metal C tuning. Im using a silvertone apocalypse with a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Half Stack. I dont wanna be told new guitar or new amp
i just wanna know wha pickups are of a very good sound quality. So yeah if u help me out thank you.
To be quite honest you'll get more results from a new amp.

As for pickups you may wish to look at a DiMarzio Breed or Evolution; perhaps a D-Sonic.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Try a D Sonic or X2N in the bridge. Maybe an Evolution if you have the chops. The D Sonic is very good for drop tuning, but I would reccomend installing it upside-down for lead tones. The X2N is VERY aggressive, and if you don't know how to EQ properly, it will sound terrible. The Evolution is great for leads, and can get very chuggy, but will be bad for a metalcore type tone.

Don't go for any Dimarzio unless you have a fair amount of skill; they accentuate even the tiniest nuances in your playing, so if you have problems muting unwanted noise, you will sound like utter shit.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Also chech Seymour Duncan's SH-5 or SH-6, they also come F-space if your axe has a lic Floyd Rose.
Quote by Raijouta
To be quite honest you'll get more results from a new amp.

As for pickups you may wish to look at a DiMarzio Breed or Evolution; perhaps a D-Sonic.

+11111111one!!! (yay this is stupid)

you wil sound better with a new amp.

i would reccomend you to try the evolution, d-activator, d-sonic. also, dont close to just dimarzio. check the Bill Lawrence L500XL, the seymour duncan distortion and other high output pickups.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
id go as far as to say skip the dimzario x2n and go for the gfs power rails

more or less the same thing but much cheaper
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
id go as far as to say skip the dimzario x2n and go for the gfs power rails

more or less the same thing but much cheaper

Lies! Dimarzio uses a different wiring set up to allow for higher outputs. I don't know the technical specifications, but I did a side by side comparison while shopping for pickups, and the X2N is tighter sounding than the power rails.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
Lies! Dimarzio uses a different wiring set up to allow for higher outputs. I don't know the technical specifications, but I did a side by side comparison while shopping for pickups, and the X2N is tighter sounding than the power rails.

hence the "more or less"

but yea at $70 more the x2n better be tighter sounding, lol
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
If he wanted a different amp, he would have asked. How about some D-activators?
Your using an MG, and you want us NOT to recommend you a new amp? What the ****.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
while we can all agree the mg is not the best amp and TS would get more results from a different amp, all he wanted was pickup suggestions. why, in most situations like this, when people specify that they want pickup suggestions, NOT amp suggestions, do people trash the amp they have? tone is subjective for gods sakes, what sounds like trash to you might sound great to someone else.
^Yes, but if he liked his tone, then he wouldn't be asking to change his pickups would he? He says his amp is fine, but he doesn't like his tone? That makes no sense to me. If I didn't like my tone, I'd start by trying out some new amps, until I found one that gives me the tone I want. Only then would I change p'ups etc. But not to get the tone I want, but to improve my tone
Quote by supergerbil
^Yes, but if he liked his tone, then he wouldn't be asking to change his pickups would he? He says his amp is fine, but he doesn't like his tone? That makes no sense to me. If I didn't like my tone, I'd start by trying out some new amps, until I found one that gives me the tone I want. Only then would I change p'ups etc. But not to get the tone I want, but to improve my tone

thats the way most of us think about it, but maybe it's just a small part of his tone he wants to change. maybe the current pickups don't have enough output for him.
i think you need a new amp and active pickups like EMGs or SD Blackouts.

i have DiMarzio Evolutions, and i seriously don't recommend these for rhythm playing.
Quote by GoDrex
Check out Dimarzio D-Activators. They're great for metal.

+1
Same situation as the OP... So, please, and I'm begging not being an arse, don't lecture me. I WILL get a new-better guitar and a goo-better amp at the slight opportunity. I make my own money, so as soon as I can sneak something under my wife's radar, I'll do.

Ibanez GRX20 with Behringer GMX110. I'd love to drop a couple DiMarzio's to play anything from rock to metal. Something with good harmonics and full bass sound, clear highs. Not much scooped mids. I like mids.

I'm thinking Fred up at the neck. I had one at the bridge on a basswood body guitar and it was great. But my current guitar is Alder body, which is brighter.

I'm undecided as for the Evolution or Tone Zone for the bridge one.

Any suggestions (but "buy a new guitar/amp")
^ Sneak under your wife's radar? Grow a sack.

Get some D-activators.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
^ Sneak under your wife's radar? Grow a sack.

haha.... some of us never do....

Quote by Øttər
Get some D-activators.

Thanks, man! I'll take a look at them.

No love for Tone Zones or Evo's?
^ I don't have experience with them, so I don't really feel comfortable recommending them.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Warpo
Same situation as the OP... So, please, and I'm begging not being an arse, don't lecture me. I WILL get a new-better guitar and a goo-better amp at the slight opportunity. I make my own money, so as soon as I can sneak something under my wife's radar, I'll do.

Ibanez GRX20 with Behringer GMX110. I'd love to drop a couple DiMarzio's to play anything from rock to metal. Something with good harmonics and full bass sound, clear highs. Not much scooped mids. I like mids.

I'm thinking Fred up at the neck. I had one at the bridge on a basswood body guitar and it was great. But my current guitar is Alder body, which is brighter.

I'm undecided as for the Evolution or Tone Zone for the bridge one.

Any suggestions (but "buy a new guitar/amp")

Well, I don't know that new pickups would really help too much...

And I mean, harmonics are more dependent on technique than pickups. I can nail on my SG with the PAF-on-steroids in the bridge, or in vintage output single coil Strat.
^ Thats because your christ.

Wouldn't some high output pickups help this guy?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I don't think Evolutions are the answer in an Alder guitar. They're very bright. If anything, something fatten up the tone would be desirable here.

I'm not saying that new pickups wouldn't sound different, but I don't know that they'll increase pinch harmonics' volume or whatever. Memorizing the harmonic sweet spots is more effective than any swap.
ts why don't you send a mail to dimarzio? ask what pickups would suit your style and dropped tunings. they replied quite fast, the last time i inquired.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think Evolutions are the answer in an Alder guitar. They're very bright. If anything, something fatten up the tone would be desirable here.

What about some DiMarzio Breed bridge and Air Norton Neck?

They seem to be warmer... I forgot to mention that I play mostly rythm and the only way for me to pull out a solo would be to point a gun to my head.

However, I don't play metal only. From rock to metal, should have nice clean tone too.

And I promise to get a better amp and guitar. Well, I actually like the guitar a lot that's why I'm thinking on new pickups. If it'd be worthless, I wouldn't even think on putting more money into it.
Quote by forsaknazrael

What about some DiMarzio Breed bridge and Air Norton Neck?

They seem to be warmer... I forgot to mention that I play mostly rythm and the only way for me to pull out a solo would be to point a gun to my head.

However, I don't play metal only. From rock to metal, should have nice clean tone too.

And I promise to get a better amp and guitar. Well, I actually like the guitar a lot that's why I'm thinking on new pickups. If it'd be worthless, I wouldn't even think on putting more money into it.
D-Activator. It WOULD make a bigger difference in a better amp though.

EDIT: Drop sonic seems like a good option too, having just checked out DiMarzio's Pickup Picker on their site. So would the Super Distortion.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Oct 12, 2008,