I play all types of metal at high volumes and i get a ton of hiss from the amp as well as feedback. I would like good cleans and picking dynamics, tapping, harmonics etc. Is this pedal responsive to techniques like this? I also saw a diagram from this thread http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1879492&highlight=isp+decimator+g+string&page=3 that shows the ns-2 doing the same thing. What actually is the tone suck in the ns-2 doing and can it be eq'd out Thanks for your help ~Colton
are cleans really that sacrificed with the original decimator? the price just made the deal for me... don't really feel like shelling out $225 for a noise reducer
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
unfortunately right now im using a randall rg100 stereo chorus g2. It is pretty decent for solid state but i'll upgrade to a tube amp soon. From what ive heard on other hc reviews my amp isnt the only known for crazy feedback. I cant even use the modern gain channel or it will squeal like crazy, and when the master volume is close to 3/4 the white noise is very noticeable. If this can help me i think it can help anyone.
I would like one of those pedals too, to bad there pretty expensive
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
yeah but the way i look at it, it is something i'll have for a long time so it would be worth the investment. UnsignedRecords, the main reason i want the g string pedal is because of my crazy amount of amp noise. I never heard the cleans were bad on the original, just making sure. If anyone knows someone who is selling a used one let me know. Thanks again. ~Colton
Last edited by higglor at Oct 2, 2008,
haha, well that was just a personal statement for me, as i've been debating which to get for quite a while

ever since the g-string came out, people started saying it's big improvement over it was the g-string responds way better to your clean tone because of it's setup. but no one really complained about cleans before the g-string came out.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

yeah i know what you mean the only reason im considering the boss ns-2 is if you go to http://www.guitarfxdepot.com there is a bunch of well known guitar players that use the ns-2 with high gain rigs. I mean if they sucked gigging musicians like that wouldn't be using them.
eh, it's a boss pedal, so it has the name behind it. check out vids on youtube comparing the two. they both have their strong points, but i think the decimator comes out on top. and for $30 more than the ns-2, why not? the g-string i'm not too keen on.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I just got the regular decimator in the mail today. I actually ordered the g-string but I guess they shipped out the wrong thing. I am pretty glad they did, this model killed all the noise and kept the tone. While I was playing I kept switching it on and off, there was no difference in tone but when I stop playing all the hiss and feedback were gone. I kinda feel like the g-string is a waste of money now, I definitely wouldn't pay $100 more for it.

I have no problem with cleans with the pedal either. I did the same test of playing while switching it on and off and I didn't notice a loss of tone.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
^ sweet. did you get your money back?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I just bought a decimator (not the G-string) today. I'll get to hook it up tomorrow when I go to band practice. Here's hoping it can tame the 6505 in the interest of protecting my hearing.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by thefrigginbob
I just got the regular decimator in the mail today. I actually ordered the g-string but I guess they shipped out the wrong thing. I am pretty glad they did, this model killed all the noise and kept the tone. While I was playing I kept switching it on and off, there was no difference in tone but when I stop playing all the hiss and feedback were gone. I kinda feel like the g-string is a waste of money now, I definitely wouldn't pay $100 more for it.

I have no problem with cleans with the pedal either. I did the same test of playing while switching it on and off and I didn't notice a loss of tone.

I got mine just today, and unfortunately it is ****ed. First few hours, it sounded like a godsend, but then it started to crackle after i stopped playing, instead of becoming dead silent. So if you play and stop abruptly, you'll here a crackly crunchy noise instead of silence, it really pisses me off. I'm sending it to ISP tomorrow to repair it.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
i'm interested in buying a decimator and still thinking about the g string version.

the g-string has an extra noise reduction stage in the effects loop. does this mean i can switch from dirty to clean without problems? i heared you have to turn the regular version off if you switch to clean
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by thefrigginbob

So you mean by plugging the original decimator into the front of the amp it took care of feedback and hiss? x_themetalfan_x, let us know how it worked for you.
Just thought id let everyone know i got a decimator g string off ebay for $190 coming. Should be here by wednesday 10/15. I'll post a review and let everyone know how it is because there isn't too many reviews around. Thanks for your help everyone. ~Colton
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
I just bought a decimator (not the G-string) today. I'll get to hook it up tomorrow when I go to band practice. Here's hoping it can tame the 6505 in the interest of protecting my hearing.

You use almost exactly what I use. That ISP will make such a huge difference in the Combo, it shuts it right up and you get nothing but pure crushing tone.
I got the decimator g string a couple days ago and took it to band practice. It more than exceeded all our expectations. Before my whiney randall couldn't even go up to 1/3 volume without overbearing feedback. Now it is dead quiet with the volume maxed. (I never played it this loud, I just wanted to see if it could hold off all the noise.) It passed the test. If you have a lot of hiss and feedback than this is definitely your pedal.
do you leave the decimator g-string on all the time or do you switch it on/off sometimes?

because i was wondering if i should place the decimator on top of my (combo) amp (short cables) or near my other pedals (which will require long cables)
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I never switch it off but you might need to if you roll back the volume knob and let notes ring a lot. Keep in mind my threshold is set to 3 o'clock because the amp was manufactured poorly and squeals when I turn the gain past half, so rolling back the volume might have better results if you don't need to set the threshold so high.