So, I have a Mesa Express 5:50 Combo and an Orange Tiny Terror head. I love them, but I'm always GASing. As a result, I'd like to play a fun game. Say I sell them both and I get somewhere between $1500-$1700 and immediately turn that around and invest it in a new amp? I can probably bump up to $2000, but it's not preferable. What are some good options? I play Rock, Blues, and the like. No metal. I need a decent amount of gain on tap (as a point of comparison, my Tiny Terror has plenty for my tastes), but I've gotta have great cleans. I'd like to stay in combo form, but if there's a killer head, I'll go for that too.
Some opinions? You can tell me to keep the shit I got, that's fine.
I'm looking at:
Budda SuperDrive IIs
Dr. Z Maz 18 Junior
Dr. Z Maz-38 Senior
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Marshall MG250DFX
Blackstar Artisan 15/30
Egnater Tourmaster 212
Bogner Alchemist 40

That'll give you an idea. I don't care to list anymore. I'll buy used, I have no problem with that.

Oh, and I preferably want to stay away from Matchless.
Go nuts.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
You have $2000 and are looking at an MG? Are you crazy?

EDIT: Anyway, I think the Orange would be a good one to check out, I thought it was fantastic for blues when I tried it.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Last edited by thsrayas at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by thsrayas
You have $2000 and are looking at an MG? Are you crazy?

That got the desired response. Yes, I'm crazy.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Budda SuperDrive IIs
Dr. Z Maz 18 Junior
Dr. Z Maz-38 Senior
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Marshall MG250DFX
Blackstar Artisan 15/30
Egnater Tourmaster 212
Bogner Alchemist 40

how did that get in there?

but umm, and orange rocker 30 would be pretty good for you.
Roccaforte High Gain 30.
Quote by Ghold125
how did that get in there?

but umm, and orange rocker 30 would be pretty good for you.

Mostly because I wanted to see how many people would react to that instead of the other amps.

Quote by imgooley
Roccaforte High Gain 30.

$2200 and its a head, which means that I'd have to buy a cab.
Roccafortes are great, they're just pricey, and only heads.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Oct 1, 2008,
Dr. Z or the Bogner? Either one is awesome.

Why no Matchless?

EDIT: I always noticed the guitar in your sig... you have EMG's but don't play metal? That's interesting.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Dr. Z or the Bogner? Either one is awesome.

Why no Matchless?

The Bogner is made in China. i have to try one, but I'm a bit wary. Just cause it says Bogner doesn't mean its the shiz.
Matchless tends to be single channel under 2 grand. And I don't really like the tone that much. Call me nuts.

EDIT: yeah, alot of people hate the "sterility". It allows me to shape my tone however I want to, and they sound great. They're both coiltapping, so they're very versatile.

Don't judge me.
That's cool. I haven't tried the coiltapping EMGs yet, but hearing it from you it seems like they're worth a shot. I'm thinking down the road my next guitar will probably have EMGs... but I digress.

That's true about Matchless amps having only one channel, but I would just buy a Catalinbread Supercharged OD or a Jekyll and Hyde and call it a day. At least one band I listen to uses Matchless and I love their tone, but of course it's all subjective anyway.

What about simply a higher-end Mesa? Especially if you already like your own.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I could swing a used Roadster or maybe a used Roadking (if I got real lucky), or a Stiletto Ace combo, or a Lone Star Special combo, but I'm familiar with those. I'm just shootin for suggestions.

Don't judge me.
A guy in a local band (Rootz Underground; dunno if you've heard of them) uses a Budda Superdrive 30w, I believe. I went to one of their shows and it sounded absolutely awesome for what they were playing (a bluesy kind of reggae-rock, btw) I probably wouldn't recommend using one for metal, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well, I don't play any metal. Ever. So I'm really thinking hard about Buddas. I haven't been able to sit down with one, but I want to.

Don't judge me.
theres a couple good deals on buddas on the HC forum classifieds, definitely worth a look. I think they were going for around $1000 maybe a little more.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
where are the splawns?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
where are the splawns?

I'm not sure where a Splawn fits my criteria. But I looked at them.

Don't judge me.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^They do, kind of. They are more Marshall voiced metal amps with good classic rock and low gain settings. Pretty much a Marshally metal amp that can do everything well.

I'm familiar with them, I just think that there are many better options that are distinctly inside my criteria.

Don't judge me.
ALL of Dr.Zs amps are worth looking at, but if your after that 18 watt tone I think the Doctor knows best.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I've been using a Mesa Maverick 4x10 with Jensen speakers. It's a 2 channel amp & has EL84 tubes. It really does the blues think AWSOME! I play in a cover "rock" band & I get complements ALL THE TIME on my tone. I'm looking to sell it as It's not a versatile amp (2 channels, 1st is clean to rough & 2nd is rough to rock). I got a Line 6 that is very versatile for the band I'm in. This might be the amp for you? I'm not tying to give you a hard sell or anything but most people don't know that Mesa even made this amp.

Copy & paste the link below;
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/Maverick/maverick.html

Good luck in your search & let me know what you think.
I had the chance to play a lonestar special a couple weeks ago and I liked it a lot, but you say that you're already familiar with them so guess it doesn't matter.

I've been trying to test drive a category 5 tsunami, but depending on how much power you need i don't know, but it looks like something worth checking out (a little pricey).
Quote by Producer SA
This might be the amp for you? I'm not tying to give you a hard sell or anything but most people don't know that Mesa even made this amp.

Copy & paste the link below;
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_I...k/maverick.html

Good luck in your search & let me know what you think.

it looks interesting, but I don't think it's going to be any more versatile than my Express. It might sound a tad better, but I wouldn't trade up to it.

Quote by pak1351
I had the chance to play a lonestar special a couple weeks ago and I liked it a lot, but you say that you're already familiar with them so guess it doesn't matter.

I've been trying to test drive a category 5 tsunami, but depending on how much power you need i don't know, but it looks like something worth checking out (a little pricey).

yeah, I know Mesas pretty well. They're familiar territory, I'm just looking for some other points of comparison.

and that tsunami looks sweet, but it's definitely out of budget.

Don't judge me.
Get a Matamp
Quote by imgooley
Get a Matamp

You, my friend, have an obsession.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Everytime he posts that a smile invades my face. I'm voting Dr. Z or Buddah - when I figure out which one I will come back and post it. Don't hold your breath.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Tis true.

It's also true that you should get a Matamp
Quote by imgooley
Roccaforte High Gain 30.

I really want to hear this amp. I know Doug posts on HC (seen u there too) and we talk back and forth sometimes but I've never heard this guys amps yet and I hear wonderful things about them. Have you played an RHG 30? If so, what does it sound like? Can it do the high gain metal stuff too?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I really want to hear this amp. I know Doug posts on HC (seen u there too) and we talk back and forth sometimes but I've never heard this guys amps yet and I hear wonderful things about them. Have you played an RHG 30? If so, what does it sound like? Can it do the high gain metal stuff too?

I have not, but I've listened to the clips on his website. It could be just a good recording, but gatdamn, it sounds sweeeeet.

When I get back down to the OC, I plan on asking Mr. Roccaforte to test a few of his amps.

I wish I knew about Rocca's when i was living there 5 months ago
Quote by gregs1020

The Halsted looks interesting. Very. But there's no price.

Goolz....which matamp might you rec?

Don't judge me.
Nevermind. They're too expensive.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
The Halsted looks interesting. Very. But there's no price.

Goolz....which matamp might you rec?

The GT1, the King Street (they have a low watt combo of that), the 1224, the Electric Amp GZ EL34.

EDIT: A King Street 1x12 from the factory would be about 1500+ship.
King Street 1x12 looks lovely. But I'd have to do it factory direct. If you order through the US dealer, it bumps up to 2300.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Nevermind. They're too expensive.

And they didn't fully meet your specs so I didn't rec them initially, I think I'm just gassing.
That said...

Get the matamp dammit.
Quote by gregs1020

Get the matamp dammit.

The King Street is basically the only thing in my budget, and it looks more geared to classic rock.

Don't judge me.
haha. eff. a two rock would solve everything.

Don't judge me.