what is the differances between the epiphone and gibson les pauls?

Obviously excluding the price.

-thanks.
My gear so far >.>
Schecter Synyster standard
crappy BC rich bronze series warlock
Vox AD15VT-XL

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
the searchbar would be the main difference
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
A lot.
Wood quality, pickups, Gibsons are handmade, Epiphones are mainly computer made.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
pickups, woods, inlays, craftsmanship, quality...pretty much everything
quality control, different materials, they discontinued elitists didn't they?
because elitists were close to gibson studios
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Yeah.. As everyone else said.. Probably quite alot, but there's nothing wrong with Epiphone Les Pauls, I'm playing a Les Paul Custom right now, and it's amazing.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
^ +1

There are a number of Epiphones that'll pwn Gibby Standards & Studio's. It's just kind of a hit or miss with some Epiphones.

(And from my experience, there fretwork could be better)
I think searchbar... jk im not a dick. Any epiphone les pauls are good I guess if your on a budget.
A gibson will last forever too, not so much an epi. There not bad guitars at all, just remember anything from 1-2000$ and excluding sig models in guitars; i believe you get what you pay for
Quote by ShredGod George
quality control, different materials, they discontinued elitists didn't they?
because elitists were close to gibson studios
Elitists were far better than Gibson Studios. In terms of a direct spec comparison, the closest Gibson to the Elitists was the Supreme, believe it or not. Even the Gibson Standards couldn't match the Elitists in terms of even just the basics like the laser cut bone nut, bookmatched single-grade african mahogany bodies, AAAA flame maple tops, etc.

That's actually one of the reasons why the Elitists have been discontinued. Firstly, they weren't selling that well. Secondly, the people that did play them were then telling others how much beter they were than Gibson, which hurt Gibson's own homebrand image. Thirdly and most importantly though, it cost them just as much to make an Epiphone Elitist as it did to make a Gibson Custom Shop VOS LP, but they could only charge a fraction of the price for it, which left them making far less profit. They were only making roughly a 40% profit on the Elitists, whereas they could spend the same amount of money and time to make a Custom Shop VOS and they make a 680% profit on those.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Thirdly and most importantly though, it cost them just as much to make an Epiphone Elitist as it did to make a Gibson Custom Shop VOS LP, but they could only charge a fraction of the price for it, which left them making far less profit. They were only making roughly a 40% profit on the Elitists, whereas they could spend the same amount of money and time to make a Custom Shop VOS and they make a 680% profit on those.

Source?
Quote by MrFlibble
Elitists were far better than Gibson Studios. In terms of a direct spec comparison, the closest Gibson to the Elitists was the Supreme, believe it or not. Even the Gibson Standards couldn't match the Elitists in terms of even just the basics like the laser cut bone nut, bookmatched single-grade african mahogany bodies, AAAA flame maple tops, etc.

That's actually one of the reasons why the Elitists have been discontinued. Firstly, they weren't selling that well. Secondly, the people that did play them were then telling others how much beter they were than Gibson, which hurt Gibson's own homebrand image. Thirdly and most importantly though, it cost them just as much to make an Epiphone Elitist as it did to make a Gibson Custom Shop VOS LP, but they could only charge a fraction of the price for it, which left them making far less profit. They were only making roughly a 40% profit on the Elitists, whereas they could spend the same amount of money and time to make a Custom Shop VOS and they make a 680% profit on those.

Seriously, if true, that is some good info
Gibsons should sell for 20% less then they do. But they are clearly better then Epi's. The Epi Elitists were awesome tho if you can find one, my friend has one and has had it for 6 years and it is still holding up amazing. He says its better then the Gibson's he plays
does anyone know of somewhere that is still selling elitists?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
does anyone know of somewhere that is still selling elitists?

limited stock at musicfriend but on clearance
Quote by metaxis
I love it when people talk out their asses

He has said basically everything most people have said in this thread.... Doesnt have the quality, doesn't sound as good, isnt a gibson but for the price range its in it is a very solid purchase and does sound quite good even if it doesnt sound as good as a gibson...

If you were speaking of my comment about the Gibson les paul studio then ok your allowed to have your opinion... but truth be told the studio gibsons arent exactly the impressing that many people and its an opinion seen more and more commonly on this forum. Anyways just my opinion.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by metaxis
I love it when people talk out their asses

+1

The only thing I can tell you - aside from listing the fact that the guitars are nothing alike which I have already done - is that if you can't hear/feel a difference buy the Epiphone.

When you really, really understand this is if you actually do any recording - I mean in a real studio for real recordings, not bedroom demos.

A lot of these lower end guitars just disapear in the mix. This is why I twang around with my Variax all the time at home but never record with it - except when I need a Sitar sound (or 8sound, as I have the bass too).

For full disclosure I can tell you I had a Les Paul Studio back in 1989/90 and it was a nice guitar. It wasn't quite a Standard but it sounded and played nice.

I have a newer Gibson LP Standard (I think it's a 93) and it's pretty good. I tried one of the Historic LPs and decided my money would be better spent saving for a real 1960 (I can't swing a '59).

I worked in a store that sold Epiphone for a few years so I have played a ton of them and nothing really ever came close to Gibson territory.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Oct 2, 2008,
the thing that gets me about this "high end epiphone > low end gibson" crap is the fact that the low end gibsons have a completely unique feel which you either love or hate, but you won't get that feel from an epiphone. so they aren't "better" as the ">" suggests. Some people just prefer the smooth, polished feel of the epiphones, whereas some like the rough natural feel of the gibson studios.

edit: @senorsmiley: i have a variax too, its useful for serving as a substitute for a type of guitar i don't have (like a sitar, full hollowbody, or something with P90s... although a guitar with P90s is next on my list!). But i really don't know what you mean about cheap guitars not cutting through the mix because i've never had this problem.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 2, 2008,
It depends on the guitar, the top of the line Epi Elitist LPs are identicle as the Gibsons they even have Gibson USA pick ups 50sr and 60st they just do not use the Nitrocelulose finish. Gibson/Epiphone even tells you this other wise thay are twins to the Gibson LPs.

Even though Gibsons are supposedly hand made the bodies are done on CNC machines and are hand assembled but so are the Epis made in Korea or China and they are made to Gibsons specs. Most of the wood is the same if they say it's a mahogany body thats what you get Epi or Gibson. If you buy a Gibson USA Custom shop those are probably all hand made but not the general releases. IMHO Epis quality control is better more and more I am finding Gibsons lacking in quality. A lot of the cost in Gibsons is the fact the use a Nitrocelulose finish wich adds 100s of dollars to the cost of Gibsons this is why their worn or flat finish guitars are so cheap compared to the high gloss finished guitars. In truth the nitrocellulose finish play a very small part in the overall tone of any guitar so it's really an expensive option that IMHO is not worth it.
Last edited by johnro6659 at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by johnro6659
It depends on the guitar, the top of the line Epi Elitist LPs are identicle as the Gibsons they even have Gibson USA pick ups 50sr and 60st they just do not use the Nitrocelulose finish. Gibson/Epiphone even tells you this other wise thay are twins to the Gibson LPs.

Even though Gibsons are supposedly hand made the bodies are done on CNC machines and are hand assembled but so are the Epis made in Korea or China and they are made to Gibsons specs. Most of the wood is the same if they say it's a mahogany body thats what you get Epi or Gibson. If you buy a Gibson USA Custom shop those are probably all hand made but not the general releases. IMHO Epis quality control is better more and more I am finding Gibsons lacking in quality. A lot of the cost in Gibsons is the fact the use a Nitrocelulose finish wich adds 100s of dollars to the cost of Gibsons this is why their worn or flat finish guitars are so cheap compared to the high gloss finished guitars. In truth the nitrocellulose finish play a very small part in the overall tone of any guitar so it's really an expensive option that IMHO is not worth it.

You may want to get a clue.

1- As someone who actually builds guitars I know the difference in cost between Honduran mahogany (Gibson) and African mahogany (Epi Elitist). This is one of the biggest differences

2- Nitro vs Poly - The Epiphone is poly the Gibson is nitro. Not a difference? How crazy is it to think that a 1/16th" coating of plastic over something made of wood would change the tone!

3- The Elitist use different pickups then the Gibson. Yes, they're "designed by Gibson". Just like "select" pickups were designed by EMG and Starcaster Best Buy pickups are "designed by Fender"

4- Neck profile

5- Fret material - the Gibson has a different size fret and they are better quality.

6- Handmade vs CNC - The above poster must not have much experience with Gibson. If you actually order a guitar from the Gibson Custom Shop they'll tell you it's CNC. So is the Epi.

Gibson has been machine made for years. The reason a LP has a carved top is because Gibson had a machine to do this back in the 1950s.

The Elitist is a decent guitar and it's affordable and that's a great thing.

To me, the quality of the wood, finish, sound and yes - even the name of the headstock make a difference.

If you are inexperienced and these things don't matter to you - all the best. Save yourself some cash
Quote by Slanderous666
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE

If you swap out the pickups on the epiphone they can out do any Gibson studios. THe vid is interesting.

you really have no idea what your talking about do you... you ever played an early nineties studio?
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
I just never understood people with Epi's trying their hardest to up-end Gibsons. It just doesn't happen.

My father has an Epi and its awesome, but my Gibby is better in every single way. Gibson's have a feel about them that Epi cannot recreate, along with the obvious technical differences.
Gibson.