I know I prefer thicker necks on a guitar. I just picked up an EC-1000 and while the neck was fast, the more i play it the more i dislike it. The active pups are another thing all together.

I also own an american strat and it has a nice 70's styling and my Gibson Les Paul Studio has a amazing thick '59 neck. Anyone else into thicker necks instead of thin?
Last edited by metaxis at Oct 1, 2008,
me
Quote by StevoIRL
Hetfield what a man bit of belly but still what a man

Gear

Gibson Slash Signature LP
B-52 AT-112 60 watt
Digitech Rp90
Your American Fender has a fat neck? What model is it?

I like fatter necks, but it's probably because when I was learning to play most of my guitars had bigger necks.
bigger hands usually are more comfortable on thicker necks, i like them personally
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I have smaller hands, but I like chunky necks. My les paul has a 50's style neck and it's my ideal size. My Ibanez SZ320EX is thick, too, and I love it.
I prefer thicker necks because they suit my hand better...i just get better control out of my lead hand...but to each their own...as long as your comfortable playing it then who cares about neck
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Fernandes Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Flextone 2 with Eminence Red Coat The Wizard Speaker
Roland Cube 15 (Practice Amp)
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Overdrive Box (From Ts-808 Schematic)
Hand Built Preamp Box
Stevie Ray Vaugnh used D necks, that's about the thickest you can get, but then again he also had about the biggest hands you can get.
Quote by ShredGod George
bigger hands usually are more comfortable on thicker necks, i like them personally

I dont have big hands though

Quote by SenorSmiley
Your American Fender has a fat neck? What model is it?

it doesn't have the thickest neck but definitely thicker then all of the Ibanez and ESP/LTDs i've played. BTW, it's a 2006 highway one.
i like a bigger neck myself too i find there great for blues stuff, perhaps thats just me but i like them
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
I acctually can play alot faster on my LP than I can on any guitar with a thinner neck.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Me. I find thin necks painful.

And when I say 'thin', I consider a standard Fender neck to be 'too thin'. A 60's Gibson neck is 'too thin' for me. An Epiphone, '59 Gibson or 50's Gibson is about right for me.

I do have an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck. It's so thin it's physically painful to use, my hand cramps up after just a couple of minutes. It feels like ****ing paper, I keep thinking I'm going to snap it every time I use it.

But, I also can't stand 'jumbo' frets either. I play better with low and wide frets, and a thick neck with a thin fretboard width/string spacing. Ibanez and ESP with their thin necks, extra wide fretboards/string spacing and their far too high jumbo frets... sod those. They're painful and hinder my playing hugely.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

And when I say 'thin', I consider a standard Fender neck to be 'too thin'. A 60's Gibson neck is 'too thin' for me. An Epiphone, '59 Gibson or 50's Gibson is about right for me.

Omg thats exactly how i feel.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I like thick necks since I have big hands. I've also heard that a thicker neck gives the guitar better tone.
if by "thick" you mean wide,..then i am with ya brothah!...i wish they would make an sg with a neck as wide as a classical guitar neck!!....makes everything so much easier!...chords...solo's...

has anyone gone from a narrow neck to a wide neck trying out guitars!..feels odd

so we all must be big handed dudes!..and ya know what that means!..big hands..big glands....we should start our own group!...the chicks will flock to us!!
I really liked one of my guitar teachers ooooold fender Mustang. It had a really round neck. Great feel to it.

My favorite 6 string neck is probably the Gibson 60's slim taper. Not really thick at all, but I like the feel of it.

7 string, Carvin by far, it has the roundness of a schecter without the bulk, so kind of between schecter and Ibanez.

My 8 string neck feels really cool. It's really really wide and flat. Just feels great, like the guitar feels that much more solid.

I've heard parker necks feel amazing, they have a progressive neck contour.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I prefer anything that's not a wizard II, I play too many chords to have a low profile neck, So a harmony between a baseball bat cut in half and a low profile would be what I like, which is what I consider a fender strat's neck, a tele would be a baseball bat, but I still find it comfortable. But something with a wizard II is just way too thin to play chords on stage for more than 30 min.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by MESAexplorer
I really liked one of my guitar teachers ooooold fender Mustang. It had a really round neck. Great feel to it.

I thought most Fender Mustangs had c-necks but the way you describe it seems like a U. I am not that familiar with Mustangs though.
Quote by HighPotency
So do C necks and U necks and stuff all refer to the thickness or what?

more about shape

u-necks which some people refer to as d-necks are pretty thick because of their shape.
im more of a "classic" styled player than I'd even like to admit.

I find the les paul 50's neck extremely comfortable. and of course passive pickups ftw.
yet i like the most heavy of all metals
I dig medium necks. Like Gibson 60s necks. Those are great.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
i like thick necks because i have larger hands and i love the great lock on with chords, i can like insta-shred so its all good. i love them, idc bout thin necks. gibbson necks are a different story tho, but the ones at guitar center are kinda sticky for no reason
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
I don't even have big hand but hell do I love thick neck.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by MrFlibble

I do have an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck. It's so thin it's physically painful to use, my hand cramps up after just a couple of minutes. It feels like ****ing paper, I keep thinking I'm going to snap it every time I use it.

But, I also can't stand 'jumbo' frets either. I play better with low and wide frets, and a thick neck with a thin fretboard width/string spacing. Ibanez and ESP with their thin necks, extra wide fretboards/string spacing and their far too high jumbo frets... sod those. They're painful and hinder my playing hugely.

tr00f
I have big hands and cannot stand thick necks, pretty odd, hmm. I also like jumbo frets, works well with jumbo fingers. XD
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
I prefer thin necks, but I have VERY small hands.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I have a schecter c-1 hellraiser and too me that neck is thick as hell. I like thinner necks personally. But the quality of my guitar has prevented me from buying another.
Last edited by shaunmood at Oct 2, 2008,