I have been reading textbook and it says that group I elements are alkali metals. I looked at the periodic table and it says that hydrogen is in group 1. This just seams a bit strange to me. Is Hydrogen an alkali metal?

I also read that the Group II elements are called alkaline earth metals. But then it also says that the 'block of elements in the middle of the table is known as the transition metal block.' Aren't those elements also in group II? So is the alkaline earth metals only the first column of elements next to group 1? is it all of group II? Are they transition metals and alkaline earth metals?

PLEASE HELP ME
Chemesrty, eh?

Can't help you there.

Now, if that was a chemistry problem I would say that hydrogen gets placed in diffrent spots on every single periodic table ever. I would also say that those should be labeled as group IIB
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
I'm a little rusty but I believe- GOOGLE

I believe that the second column is the alkali earth metals, not transition metals group. And Hydrogen is wierd, it's not really supposed to be in either of the categories...I think, correct me if I'm wrong.
Hydrogen has always been an exception. It is a gas, and it is there because it only has one electron, putting it into the 1s^1 category. The table is arranged by electron configuration, which happens to coincide with the atomic numbers.

Only group 2A are alkaline earth metals. The transition metals are different.
Last edited by dylpikle9 at Oct 1, 2008,
hydrogen only has one electron so therefore it has to be the first one or that would just screw everything up
hydrogen is never a category its f'd up. google periodic table rules they have gret stuff
Quote by kilbie
I have been reading textbook and it says that group I elements are alkali metals. I looked at the periodic table and it says that hydrogen is in group 1. This just seams a bit strange to me. Is Hydrogen an alkali metal?

I also read that the Group II elements are called alkaline earth metals. But then it also says that the 'block of elements in the middle of the table is known as the transition metal block.' Aren't those elements also in group II? So is the alkaline earth metals only the first column of elements next to group 1? is it all of group II? Are they transition metals and alkaline earth metals?

PLEASE HELP ME

hydrogen is a gas a room temp and no it is not a metal. the transition elements are in their own groups such as IIIB IVB VB and so on they are not part of group II elements. Alkaline metals are the first group only except hydrogen of course. alkaline earth metals are second group only
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
hydrogen is not an alkali metal, but it does act like one, except for special instances, so for now, just discount it, it doesn't really matter. as for the alkali earths and transition, groups are vertical, and so the II group is alkali metals, and anything between them and the staircase is a transition metal (again, with some exceptions). they're really just minor details, you'll find soon enough that the only thing that really matters is valency and radius and all that stuff.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Hydrogen can be considered a column IA or a column VIIA element...cuz it can lose an electron and be stable or gain one and also be stable...but they put it in IA cause it reacts like a IA, column IIA is alkali earth metals, then all the B section(next 8 column) is transition
Quote by HighPotency
I'm pretty sure hydrogen is a gas dude...

Anything can be a gas at high enough temperature (or low enough pressure). If you bring hydrogen gas down to just about 0K, it will condense and then freeze. You can make gaseous metals, you know.

Edit: But no, Hydrogen is not an alkali metal
Last edited by wyldething at Oct 1, 2008,
Hydrogen is not an alkali metal, they just stick it up with them. Not really sure why.
Saint Louis Blues