i asume you count 23 sixteenth notes a bar
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
IIRC, the last interview with one of the guitarists included a statement that they've mostly played in 4/4 for the last few albums... anyhoo, what exactly is confusing you? You play in 23/16 just like you play in any other time signature, it's just 23 sixteenths to a bar.
Quote by z4twenny
generally the easiest way to do this is to break it down into compound meters.

You mean sub-divide it? Compound meter would be something else entirely.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Wouldent it depend on how the riff sounds, where the attacks are placed, as to what sub-divisions you would count it in.

Though 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 3 is as good as any.

Assuming its some sort of Polyrhythm, you mentioned meshuggah, try counting smaller values up to the value of 23, than thats how you would count it.

Just in whatever smaller numbers that make it easiest to count with wherever the accents are ect.
Why would you assume its a poly rythym. He didnt say 23 against 4 or anything. Just the time signature is in 23/16.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10... etc or with the hits/accents (already covered)
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Quote by BBell
hm dont listen to them

yes, don't listen to me, i have no idea what im talking about at all

often when music is written in odd time sigs its subdivided, for 23/16 it could also be 6+4+8+2+3 or 6+6+6+5. theres a multitude of ways it could be done. this is true for meshuggah, tool and dream theater. i don't think i've honestly ever heard any music with "off" time sigs that wasn't emphasized in groups of 2 or 3.
if you can look at the sheet music vs percussion you can usually figure out where the down beat lands and see how its divided up. or if you just listen to the song attentively.
Was that directed an me?

Any value can be emphasized in groups of 2 and 3, so what your saying makes sense.
Heres an extract from an interview with Meshuggah guitarist Marten Hagstrom in Total Guitar 175 that could help you understand the rhythmic groupings.

After 20 years, you're still on top of your game and have an exceptional ability to write great riffs. How do you do it?
All of our music revolves around permutations of a certain figure over a 4/4 beat. You have rhythmical structures and figures that change a little bit every thime they come around. So first you have to get the actual rhythmic movements into your head amd the figure out where in the 4/4 structure it actually fits.

So is your head constantly full of numbers?
No, it's never been about numbers. We get labelled math-metal or whatever, but I don't even know what the **** that means! People think we sit around calculating a riff in figures, but in reality it's more to do with the same basics as playing the blues or something. It's about how it feels against the 4/4. As soon as the focus is in the head, you'll get lost. You have to go by intuition. In all honesty, the memorisation is not as much a problem as the stamina of physically playing.

So all of Meshuggah's off beat rhythms are felt against the 4/4.
Thanks guys

I guess my question I still have is how do you notate a strait 23/16 time sig?
just 23 16th notes?
You write the time signature as 23 ontop, signifying that there are 23 notes in a bar.

and a 16 on the bottom, indicating that all these notes are 16th notes.