Okay, so my Windows 98 (desk top) was getting too slow, so I low leveled it, and put in the restore disk, and it needs a command or file name to start up. Windows 98 is already back on the computer, its just asking for a command name or file name, can anyone help with this. I can provide pictures if needed.

The screen says A:\>

so yeah, any ideas?
Follow me on twitter and junk @GodDammitZack
Quote by Striped_Monkey5
Okay, so my Windows 98 (desk top) was getting too slow, so I low leveled it, and put in the restore disk, and it needs a command or file name to start up. Windows 98 is already back on the computer, its just asking for a command name or file name, can anyone help with this. I can provide pictures if needed.

so yeah, any ideas?

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

really??!?!?!

edit: Sorry, I wouldn't know what to do
i wouldnt tell people you have win 98, people can pull a ping of death on your OS and if they get your ip you are basically ****ed.
Yes I know it's dated, but its all i have for myself, I am on my mothers laptop right now, and I can only use it at select times, so if anyone has any realy answers please respond
Ah crud, I used to know how to do this... then I moved to linux and mac. Meh, sorry bro.
BTW, why are you running 98?
Quote by convictionless
i wouldnt tell people you have win 98, people can pull a ping of death on your OS and if they get your ip you are basically ****ed.

1. Mess up computer
2. Ask Pit for help
3. ?????
4. Profit!
Seriously, you could deliberately f*ck over the computer in order to get a better one... you know you want to.
I'm running 98 because the computer was free and it's all I have, an what does C: Format do...?
Quote by Striped_Monkey5
I'm running 98 because the computer was free and it's all I have, an what does C: Format do...?

erase your computer completely.
also if you want me to **** up your comp, just ask me.... seriosuly i want to have some fun.
Look i just need help restoring it, if no one has any idea on how to please just let this thread die
Quote by Striped_Monkey5

so yeah, any ideas?

Most likely it's "setup." Man, I haven't used DOS in a long time. I think if you hit 'dir a:\' it'll show all the files on the disk.

But, really, can't you just look at it in My Computer?

Edit: Er, wait, what do you need the command for? You already reinstalled it and need to get back to Windows? Or you need to run the installer?
You're*
it erases the C: partition, you know where windows is installed?
Try typing in "win" or "exit" You may just be stuck in MSDOS mode. Those two commands should put you back into Windows. If not you need to try re-installing again.

Edit: What have you done so far? Can you boot to the CD or are you booting from a floppy?
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Last edited by rdineen at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by IheartmyIbanez
****ING WINDOWS 98!.

no
Windows 3.1 FTW!

Yeah, man, that was on the first computer we ever owned. It came with Megarace. And Megarace is made entirely of awesome.
You're*
Quote by Striped_Monkey5
okay, so "win" "exit" or "setup" didn't work, anymore ? :/

I'm still not sure what exactly you're trying to get to.
You're*
I'm trying to get it to start windowns, it says its installed on my computer, but it wont start it up
Given that he's in a, doesn't he need to change directories over to c? i don't remember how dos works, but on both my mac and my linuxbox i'd have to cd.
EDIT: What about the bios, is it set to boot from c? It might be set to boot from a.
^^^ Yeah, but it seems like win and exit would work from anywhere, those commands aren't really location-dependent.

But did you try that? cd-ing back to C:?

Man, it's a real sign of the times when trying to figure out how to exit DOS is a freakin' puzzle.
You're*
Sounds to me like it's set to boot from your A drive (floppy)

When starting up get into your BIOS (you'll have to look up how to do that in Win98, I don't know) and set it to boot from hard drive.
Okay its been at a black screen with white text for god knows how long, its telling me to type in a command or file name to start up windows 98
Quote by Striped_Monkey5
Okay its been at a black screen with white text for god knows how long, its telling me to type in a command or file name to start up windows 98

ctrl+alt+delete
You're*
Okay, so i pressed crtl alt del and it took me to the windows 98 setup menu, the first two options didnt do anything, but the third one that was like PROMT DOS or something just took me back to the whole A:\> thing... help =[
Did you try what viperscale said?
I should go into tech support... more money than musicians make, anyway. Only problem is... where's that ctrlaltdel comic...