I've been trying to figure out how to do this for 3 days now. I know what it is, I have all the equipment to do it with(except for a capo ), and I've gone over tons of tutorials on how to do it.

But for the love of God, I just keep hitting roadblocks. I know the basics and theory of what I'm trying to do, but I keep getting confused when it comes to actually doing it.

Any tips/advice I could get from UG?
Deluxe Player's Strat
Soon-to-be(Hopefully)- Peavey Bandit
fret the low E first fret.
at the same time fret the low E last fret where the neck and body meet.

with both held, look at the middle frets 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there, then you dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you may have too much.

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^he's on a site, on the internet, getting an answer.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Equipment? All you need is an allen wrench. If you don't know enough about truss rod adjustment to do it by EYE (no capo, measuring the 7th fret B.S.) then you shouldn't do it. There is too little margin for error, and you risk severely damaging your guitar.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Make sure your using a feeler gauge to check the height of the strings, That is the only way to get a truly accurate adjustment.
^^or you could follow the simple instructions in post #2
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565

Those instructions are fine for somebody who already knows what they're doing. I'm guessing this guy (no offense bud) doesn't know which way to turn the allen key...
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by jj1565

seriously.

Yes you can mess up your guitar futzing with the truss rod, but if you're careful and not a total failure at life, following the simple instructions jj1565 will be more than enough to get the job done without incident.

EDIT: She didn't tell him to turn anythig. Just to measure. jj1565 usually gives step by step instructions to fix problems.
handleb:
i will explain that to him.

trust me, this is not rocket science.

there are a few very simple steps i do this all day, no one i;ve talked thru has ever screwed up their neck.

^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
fret the low E first fret.
at the same time fret the low E last fret where the neck and body meet.

with both held, look at the middle frets 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there, then you dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you may have too much.

measure and repost.

Got it, comes out to about .013"
Deluxe Player's Strat
well that's not definative either way.

where's the buzzing which strings and which frets?

is it that you cant get the action low without buzz that transmits thru the amp,
or are you getting buzz not helped by adjusting action at the bridge.
what type of guitar is this?

ok man, lemme edit this in cause i was taking off for bed...

let me know where the buzzing is, answer the above questions and lets get to the bottom of what you need, to get your guitar working the way you want.
post and i'll answer in the moring, good night.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
well that's not definative either way.

where's the buzzing which strings and which frets?

is it that you cant get the action low without buzz that transmits thru the amp,
or are you getting buzz not helped by adjusting action at the bridge.

Almost all the strings are creating fret buzz in the 15th to 22nd fret area. The higher the note, the more fret buzz that occurs. And usually, notes fret out on the treble strings.

I can live with the action a little bit high, but I did try lowering it a while back to see if it would help keep my notes from fretting out. Didn't really work out, sadly. Raising it didn't really help out too much either, which eventually led me to believe that the neck was bowed. The huge arc I saw when I looked down the neck kinda confirmed that :P

In short: 1)No, I can't get low action without buzz.

2)Adjusting action doesn't help buzzing.

Edit: Computer's being slow, sorry.
Deluxe Player's Strat
Last edited by GNR-FAN at Oct 1, 2008,
I'll tell you this from experience, sometimes you simply cannot remove the buzz on the low e string. Why? Because the string is just too damn thick for the neck sometimes.

But its ok, as long as it doesn't buzz on EVERYSINGLE flipping fret then it'll be alright, which is why I always tune my truss rod according to the a string, its much more reliable.

And in my case I have a tone-pro like bridge that only goes up and down and keeps the strings level according to the radius(curve) of the fretboard.

Just go very slowly. If you are going to tighten it, always loosen a bit. Just like you should when tuning a string, start from loose and then tighten INTO.
Quote by GNR-FAN
Almost all the strings are creating fret buzz in the 15th to 22nd fret area. The higher the note, the more fret buzz that occurs. And usually, notes fret out on the treble strings. usually indicates that the neck has a backwards bow, yours doesnt

I can live with the action a little bit high, but I did try lowering it a while back to see if it would help keep my notes from fretting out. Didn't really work out, lowering the action will cause buzz and dead notes. sadly. Raising it didn't really help out too much either, which eventually led me to believe that the neck was bowed. The huge arc I saw when I looked down the neck kinda confirmed that :P

In short: 1)No, I can't get low action without buzz.

2)Adjusting action doesn't help buzzing.

Edit: Computer's being slow, sorry.

also, how old are these strings, and what type of guitar is it again?

i'm thinking, unless these strings are fresh, we might be able to get a new set and maybe a new gauge. you might have a high fret that's making it unable for you to to get low action without buzz.

usually bowing the neck more will compensate for high frets, but yours is already bowed. not an "extreme" amount, but what should be enough.

also, i want you to look at the fret starting the buzz, does it seem high or crooked to you?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 2, 2008,
The way I look for messed up frets is by holding the guitar up and looking at it almost like a rifle, so that you align the bridge with the headstock and look at it through that angle, you'll see what I mean just hold the guitar parallel to your body straight up and look at the angle of the neck.

Doing this will give you a much better idea of what to do.