I put light strings on my acoustic so I could play a song that has a lot of barring in it. I love to play songs from people like andy mckee, michael hedges, erik mongrain etc, which have crazy tunings. What are some problems I may encounter? I know the strings might break easier/faster than mediums, but I would break a lot of medium strings too....I'm just not sure if I should stick with lights or go back to mediums
Its unlikely but possible that the drop in tension will alter your neck relief and cause fret buzz.
Quote by tom183
Its unlikely but possible that the drop in tension will alter your neck relief and cause fret buzz.

I have changed from 13-56 to 11 on my acoustic and didn't have any problem at all.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Light strings will not stay in tune as well as the heavier strings and you will pull them out of tune just by fretting them. You can tune them open but then they won't be tune when you fret them at the higher frets. They also are easier to bend notes which can be good if you want this but this also means that you can inadvertently bend when fingering which also pulls the note out of tune. They will also be looser than heavier strings wich causes buzzing. Lighter strings are also not as loud and bassey as heavy strings. They are easier to fret and bend but you have to pay attention alot to tuning and the pressure you are applying and not to inadvertently bend the light strings. Alternate solutions for you may be to keep the heavier strings but see about a lower bridge or even a lower nut. Have to watch for buzzing when you do this, especially at the higher frets. Another solution to make fingering easier is to tune down and capo up, this lowers the strings across the fretboard. Good Luck.
"and when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest that you've sewn"