hey i am looking to buy a new pedal but i cant deiced between Digitech metal master or a Boss mt-2 metal zone. im not sure what makes them different but i have a friend who to go with the digitech and another to go with the boss but they cant tell what is the difference between the two! i mostly play metallica so i guess what ever one would give me the best metallica sound. but which one is it!! (if you could explain the difference too that would be great.!)
1. you wont sound exactly like metallica unless you have their gear
2. boss usually makes better pedals than digitech

I'd go with the mt-2 based on my experience with boss. You should also look into a good amp or pickups.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Dude, save your money and buy a used Peavey 6505. Distortion pedals are complete trash.
i have had both, and i still use the MM paired with a bbe sonic stomp and eq and it sounds ok.
id agree to save for an amp but out of the two id pick the MM... the metal zone is to thin and shitty
metal master is better but neither of them are the greatest pedals out there...........
I would also say look at an amp first, but since I'm a pedal guy myself I'd say the Digitech because I prefer their pedals.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
neither the MT-2 nor metal master are all that good for ..

anything.

what amp and guitar do you have now and how much can you spend?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by RocknRollRay

I'd go with the mt-2 based on my experience with boss. You should also look into a good amp or pickups.

MT-2s are not good pedals. Never used a Digitech MM, but IMO, the Digitech Screamin Blues is better than the Boss BD-2 for my uses.

Also: if you are getting a stomp box for metal= Get a Metal Muff with Top Boost or a Proco Rat.
Quote by ZackRadiKal
Distortion pedals are complete trash.

JD Cronise of The Sword and James Hetfield himself would disagree
check out a metal muff..........better than either of those pedals.
You should try as many distortion pedals as you can through your amp with your guitar and see what you like best. There's going to be people that like and people that hate every pedal ever made so try them yourself and make your own decision. I own a Metal Zone and I like it but since I bought my Peavey Vypyr 30 I use use the 6505 model or the REC model on the distortion channel most of the time.
If you have to choose between the 2, the Metal Zone would be my pick. You need to cut some mid and raise the bass to make it sound thick, but its not a bad pedal. The onld digitech pedal I liked enough to buy is the Bad Monkey. Metal Muff is also a great pedal.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Quote by imgooley
JD Cronise of The Sword and James Hetfield himself would disagree

Nope. "By 1985, Hetfield had grown tired of the thin artificial sound of distortion pedals, as well as the typical use of the Marshall guitar amplifier. For the recording of 1986's Master of Puppets, he and Kirk Hammett bought a Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ amplifier, and slaved its preamp into his Marshall amplifier, resulting in a more natural-sounding strong powerful distortion tone."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_hetfield#Amplifiers_.26_Cabinets
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Nope. "By 1985, Hetfield had grown tired of the thin artificial sound of distortion pedals, as well as the typical use of the Marshall guitar amplifier. For the recording of 1986's Master of Puppets, he and Kirk Hammett bought a Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ amplifier, and slaved its preamp into his Marshall amplifier, resulting in a more natural-sounding strong powerful distortion tone."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_hetfield#Amplifiers_.26_Cabinets

Doesn't change the fact that he used them on what I think are the two best Metallica records.
Quote by RocknRollRay

1. Did you actually think about what you just said?
2. Spelling and grammar go along way.

Boss don't usually make better pedals than Digitech. Boss don't make that many good pedals in general (Not saying they're all bad).

TS, what's your amp/guitar gear?

But out of them two, i'd go with the MM.

Edit: Guess someone beat me to asking his gear
Sweet.
Quote by ZackRadiKal
Distortion pedals are complete trash.

Quote by imgooley
James Hetfield himself would disagree

Quote by thsrayas
By 1985, Hetfield had grown tired of the thin artificial sound of distortion pedals

Quote by imgooley
Doesn't change the fact that he used them on what I think are the two best Metallica records.

Way to completely miss the point. Not to mention while they are good albums their guitars don't sound as good as they do since The Black Album.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Way to completely miss the point. Not to mention while they are good albums their guitars don't sound as good as they do since The Black Album.

I disagree.

Also, I'm not a big enough of a Metallica fan to care.

Also, the fact is that the point I was refuting is garbage, proof provided by JD Cronise.

Also: the was me being pedantic. If smilies don't work, I don't know what will
my gear:

Epiphone explorer: $500
Fender rumble 100: $420 (i used to play bass)
Fender cable: $10
Monster Bass cable: $39
Lyon "by Washburn" distortion: $25

ok thats my stuff i think i will go with the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff Distortion Pedal. what do you guys tink of that?
dude its not the goth explorer is it?

i just sold mine
didnt really like it
but my ESPs
i just love them

when you getthe pedal you want could you let me know which one and how is sounds please

but atm what ever you get will sound extra bass like cuz of your amp
You won't get a good distortion tone out of a bass amp, they are far to warm to achieve a metallica tone. If you were playing like blues or something it would be ok though.

Sell the rumble and get a new tube/valve guitar amp.
Quote by di$TOrTed
metal master is better but neither of them are the greatest pedals out there...........
+1
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Highwaytohell
You won't get a good distortion tone out of a bass amp, they are far to warm to achieve a metallica tone.

Didn't Hetfield at one point of his career used bass amps to get more chunk?

I'd swear I read it on a guitar mag centuries ago...
Metal master is awesome!
I love the variety of tones you can get out of it.
Quote by Carrot
dude its not the goth explorer is it?

no its the 1958 reissue. the white and black one with gold hardware
Quote by BC_Warlock
1. Did you actually think about what you just said?
2. Spelling and grammar go along way.

Boss don't usually make better pedals than Digitech. Boss don't make that many good pedals in general (Not saying they're all bad).

TS, what's your amp/guitar gear?

But out of them two, i'd go with the MM.

Edit: Guess someone beat me to asking his gear

I'm not really sure why you were correcting his decent grammar and spelling. i've seen far worse on this site. Anyway, if you correct someone, you'd better be damn sure you're got excellent grammar yourself.
For example:
Boss don't usually make better pedals than Digitech. Boss don't make that many good pedals in genera

don't? you fail.

Anywho. Neither company makes particularly great pedals, but whichever ones are best is up to opinion. I prefer Boss, personally, but I'd never buy one.

TS: bass amp? really? new amp.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
In my opinion u should save for a valve amp, but if ur set on a distortion pedal the new digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion could be worth a look, supposed to be a lot better than the metal master.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm not really sure why you were correcting his decent grammar and spelling. i've seen far worse on this site. Anyway, if you correct someone, you'd better be damn sure you're got excellent grammar yourself.
For example:

don't? you fail.

Anywho. Neither company makes particularly great pedals, but whichever ones are best is up to opinion. I prefer Boss, personally, but I'd never buy one.

TS: bass amp? really? new amp.

you've got

Anyhow

Let's put down the grammar thing, please... we're talking guitar gear.
Quote by Warpo
you've got

Anyhow

Let's put down the grammar thing, please... we're talking guitar gear.

ok. you're got was a typo, my bad. I said anywho intentionally. it's a folksy thing. but lets move on from grammar, yes.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
it all depends of the person tastes!...digitech metal master heavy metal distortion is very superior to the metal zone mt2!i got both and by far the digitech is best one!im not a big fan of pedals but this one is really good, it worth the money..
prs se tremonti =pups are prs 245 treble and bass they are pretty good pups.
fender stratocaster deluxe lonestar with seymour duncan invader sh8 bridge humbucker,2 texas single coil.
jackson andy rhodes flying v rx 10 seymour duncan designed.
my amp is a peavey bandit 112 valve... PRS rocks