Page 1 of 2
okay so i have this essay to write but i think the topic may make for good pit talk. what genre of music has affected your life the most. in what way? can you site a specific artist/band/album?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by gun4hire
okay so i have this essay to write but i think the topic may make for good pit talk. what genre of music has affected your life the most. in what way? can you site a specific artist/band/album?

i had the same project

late 60's and 70's british rock has affected me the most...its opened my eyes and made me respect music and musical instruments, it has made me want to grow as a person, and its a good stress reliever
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
Quote by amazing FretMan
i had the same project

late 60's and 70's british rock has affected me the most...its opened my eyes and made me respect music and musical instruments, it has made me want to grow as a person, and its a good stress reliever

That's what progressive music has done for me. I never really listened to composition or melody or anything before I started listening to progressive music. Before that, music was more of just a way to keep my brain stimulated; kinda background noise. But now I understand what makes something musical, and I finally understand the difference between good and bad music. Music is a much bigger part of my life because of the type of music I listen to now.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Quote by BlindSilence917
That's what progressive music has done for me. I never really listened to composition or melody or anything before I started listening to progressive music. Before that, music was more of just a way to keep my brain stimulated; kinda background noise. But now I understand what makes something musical, and I finally understand the difference between good and bad music. Music is a much bigger part of my life because of the type of music I listen to now.

right on man...the music each of us like is what our soul NEEDS

once our brain can comprehend that we have a great realization of just about everything
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Last edited by amazing FretMan at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by BlindSilence917

thats funny because progressive music is boring as hell
Quote by Tophue
Says you.

Probably Classic Rock has effected me the most. If my parents hadn't been into Classic Rock, I probably wouldn't have picked up the guitar, and I probably wouldn't be as much into music as I am now.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Quote by Tophue

Actually, I've heard of this condition called "audio fatigue". Rather than boring, I think that there are so many aspects in progressive music that you aren't used to hearing with whatever style of music you're into, that your brain gets tired from trying to keep up with everything that's going on all at once. And you're probably confusing this with boredom.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

-Hans Christian Andersen
It saved me. Gave me guidance and direction and a goal to reach in life. Without music, I know not who I would be, but I would not be who I am today.
Pop punk, because when I played it on bass people wanted to be my friend.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Whatever they played in the 90's.

90's ftw!

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
My life is a mess. Music is what keeps me going. I am also glad i am learning how to play piano, piano is pretty is awesome, gives me another reason to live.

EDIT: I forgot to read the first post, only the title.

Anyway, Classical Music and Metal keep me going
Quote by Blackened_Ktulu
My life is a mess. Music is what keeps me going. I am also glad i am learning how to play piano, piano is pretty is awesome, gives me another reason to live.

im learning piano too

my 7 years of guitar is making it quicker for me to learn piano...so im really enjoying it..one more thing to live for
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
When you got nothing in your life to live for, live to piss everyone else off.

Arrogance ftw!

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by Ecliptica24
good metal makes my life worth living

Good metal???

Explain.

Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by BlindSilence917
Actually, I've heard of this condition called "audio fatigue". Rather than boring, I think that there are so many aspects in progressive music that you aren't used to hearing with whatever style of music you're into, that your brain gets tired from trying to keep up with everything that's going on all at once. And you're probably confusing this with boredom.

To me, progressive music's inherent lack of form is what makes it boring. Most progressive musicians aren't aware of the usefulness of form in music. They probably think that forms are too limiting as wel. However, forms, when handled by artists who know the rules and conventions of forms, can be twisted and manipulated in creative ways, which creates another dimension of expression. Progressive music, on the other hand, is always assumed to lack form and that anything goes. No matter how smooth the transitions are between sections in prog are, its lack of bind and inability to fully develop motifs and thematic ideas makes it boring and amateur to me.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by thanksgiving
Good metal???

Explain.

oh i see what you did there. you implied that there is no such thing as good metal. clever. cleverrrrrrrrrrr...
In heaven, all interesting people are absent.
Quote by Ecliptica24
oh i see what you did there. you implied that there is no such thing as good metal. clever. cleverrrrrrrrrrr...

I think that maybe, just maybe... you owned me.

Quote by Våd Hamster

I think I speak for most of us when I say that without music we would be dead inside. The power to express yourself in a way that everyone can relate to is the most awesome gift anyone can have and develop.

I listen to anything that catches my ear. But listening to prog, classical and jazz has made me dig deep into the real copositional and scientific nature of music. Before I was just like "Yeah this sounds good, I'll play it". Now that I know where certain things fit and what works, it has opened my eyes and broadened my horizons rather than limiting me.

Only when you know the rules can you break them. This is what composing music has taught me.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Bob Dylan taught me to look out of the box and enjoy life. U2 showed me that there are some truly great feelings in life. Music Is one of the few things I have ever been truly proud of.
Last edited by gunther_sucks at Oct 2, 2008,
How has music affected my life?
It has opened up a whole new world of art and people to me, brought me through some difficult times, helped me express myself better, and it helps me understand myself better.
The genres that do this for me are classic rock and Alternative. Bands, Joy Division, Pink Floyd, The Who, Radiohead, and many more.
Radiohead ftw!

Quote by Våd Hamster

Dark Side of the Moon was the album that changed music from just background noise into art, for me at least. Basically, good music makes me tingle all over and makes me want to hug a lot of people. Except Animal Collective. That makes me want to dance with and lick people.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by rorythefaggot
Dark Side of the Moon was the album that changed music from just background noise into art, for me at least. Basically, good music makes me tingle all over and makes me want to hug a lot of people. Except Animal Collective. That makes me want to dance with and lick people.

DSOTM changed my life too
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Quote by Xiaoxi
To me, progressive music's inherent lack of form is what makes it boring. Most progressive musicians aren't aware of the usefulness of form in music. They probably think that forms are too limiting as wel. However, forms, when handled by artists who know the rules and conventions of forms, can be twisted and manipulated in creative ways, which creates another dimension of expression. Progressive music, on the other hand, is always assumed to lack form and that anything goes. No matter how smooth the transitions are between sections in prog are, its lack of bind and inability to fully develop motifs and thematic ideas makes it boring and amateur to me.

Fair enough. At least you can explain your thought process, and didn't just say "Prog is boring."
-Frank Zappa

-Hans Christian Andersen
All of the music i play/listen to has given me a pretty equal amount of change. But, classic rock like Aerosmith, AC/DC and Black Sabbath got me into guitar. My dad introduced me to those bands when i was like, 11. And its been a nonstop out of control descent into being a gearhead from there.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
i get mor sex
Quote by Bamitchell
So you have possible wang cancer and your on drugs? PWNT.

"Money Can't Buy Life" - Bob Marley
Quote by BlindSilence917
Fair enough. At least you can explain your thought process, and didn't just say "Prog is boring."

+1

But seriously, prog kicks ass

Any Opeth album opened my eyes to what songwriting and good songwriting is
Quote by element166
i get mor sex

Best post in this thread.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
"Son, always carry a medical glove in your pocket in case you wind up in a bathroom that has no toilet paper, and you get constipated."
Quote by BlindSilence917
I finally understand the difference between good and bad music.

So do I,

Opinion
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by thanksgiving
Whatever they played in the 90's.

90's ftw!

Britney Spears?
Sigs Are For Pussies
Lots of ways, with music I belive I've found my identity..

And the groupies and booze..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Music gives me a boner

For reals
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
There is nothing conceptually better than music, preferably rock n roll. Common man's poetry. Life isn't life without it. Sgt. Pepper, Hysteria, The Stone Roses, Definitely Maybe, that's what it's all about.
Maybe I just wanna fly
Wanna live, I don't wanna die
Maybe I just wanna breathe
Maybe I just don't believe
Maybe you're the same as me
We see things they'll never see
You and I are gonna LIVE FOREVER
Just the fact that I picked up guitar affected me because thats what I wanna do for life. I think when I started being open minded about what I listen to it made me a better person because I stopped being so judgemental to everyone and there music tastes and I was bad for that. It helps me express myself when im feeling down or angry. I consider myself open minded about anything rock and metal music. Just look at my profile you'll see how my music genres jump from one to the other.
I can't listen to music anymore without disecting it into pieces and observing how it's played, what scales are used etc... It's a curse!
Whe I realized when I was the happiest when I was at a concert of some sort
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Metal.

When I listened to 'punk' bands like Green Day or Sum 41 I was a lairy little shit, but ever since I've listened to metal I think I've become a better person. Or maybe I just matured a bit, i don't know.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Page 1 of 2