Alright. i'm looking at Andy Mckee's Tight Trite Night

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/andy_mckee/tight_trite_night_tab.htm

There are Tons of palm muting parts to pick. But my question is... if palm muting means your not supposed to hear the note..... then why is there such a complex pattern to the palm muting?

I'm watching the youtube vid too and I don't really hear the palm muting come out too much, just maybe a very light bit. But it's just so weird....

did anyone else have any problems with understanding how to play palm muting?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail.....
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn.... We fucked up."
Look up the lessons.
You're supposed to hear the palm-muted notes, but they're supposed to sound...short and stubby I suppose.
Palm muting is, well, think metallica. That open low E they use alot, sounds like "chugga". Its used so if your playing with distortion, when u palm mute there isn\t so much gain in the background of the next note, sounds great with metal. the way you do it you rest your palm near the bridge of your guitar on the string. Hope that helped a litte.
Listen to "Disposable Heroes" by Metallica. There's the best example of palm muting in the intro.

It starts at about 33 seconds in.
Quote by cloudlife
Alright. i'm looking at Andy Mckee's Tight Trite Night

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/andy_mckee/tight_trite_night_tab.htm

There are Tons of palm muting parts to pick. But my question is... if palm muting means your not supposed to hear the note..... then why is there such a complex pattern to the palm muting?

I'm watching the youtube vid too and I don't really hear the palm muting come out too much, just maybe a very light bit. But it's just so weird....

did anyone else have any problems with understanding how to play palm muting?

Simple. That's the way he wrote it.
You're*
palm mute sounds short and stubby,
its usually used in metal music because it gives the chug chug sound

listen to master of puppets by metallica, its a good examples of palm mutes, the whole song is 3/4 palm mute
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
the "x" in the tab you linked is not a palm muted note, it's a left-hand muted note.

put your left hand over the "x" string and touch it, don't press down to fret it. then pick the string.
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I'm not good at palm muting. Even after a few palm mutes my wrist really aches.
Fave bands: Nirvana, Green day, Muse, QOTSA(queens of the stone age), Metallica, Led Zepplin.

Guitars: Fender

Pedals: Behrigner Ultra Metal
Palm muting is something, like all other guitar skills, that takes practice. I'm in the process of learning it now.

Start by learning to play something with your picking hand resting on your bridge. Keep your palm far enough back that your playing sounds exactly the same as it usually does. Start slowly moving your picking hand closer to the fretboard and see what happens. As the side of your palm starts to move off the bridge and touch the strings, you'll get that muted sound. If you go too far or push against the strings, it'll completely kill the sound and just give you a dead "thunk". There's a fine line between that "thunk" and an unmuted sound that gives the type of sound that constitutes a good palm mute. Keeping your hand in that sweet spot is pretty easy, but transitioning to and from that sweet spot to play a riff that doesn't mute everything is tougher and takes practice... at least for me. I'm a lefty that plays right handed, so I have a hard time getting my right hand to do what I want it to sometimes, but I suspect that everybody has to practice this skill, just like everything else associated with playing the guitar.
Quote by Jim85IROC
Palm muting is something, like all other guitar skills, that takes practice. I'm in the process of learning it now.

Start by learning to play something with your picking hand resting on your bridge. Keep your palm far enough back that your playing sounds exactly the same as it usually does. Start slowly moving your picking hand closer to the fretboard and see what happens. As the side of your palm starts to move off the bridge and touch the strings, you'll get that muted sound. If you go too far or push against the strings, it'll completely kill the sound and just give you a dead "thunk". There's a fine line between that "thunk" and an unmuted sound that gives the type of sound that constitutes a good palm mute. Keeping your hand in that sweet spot is pretty easy, but transitioning to and from that sweet spot to play a riff that doesn't mute everything is tougher and takes practice... at least for me. I'm a lefty that plays right handed, so I have a hard time getting my right hand to do what I want it to sometimes, but I suspect that everybody has to practice this skill, just like everything else associated with playing the guitar.

Sweet thanks. You tha Man! I finally understand now, been doing it wrong for years....

But major thxs guys!!!

Also thank you angl2k. Although how'd you figure out that your supposed to use your left hand and not palm mute?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail.....
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn.... We fucked up."
just rest your PALM on the strings you're picking. very very basic skill. the position of your palm in relation to pickups/bridge will change how deep/muted it will sound.
Quote by cloudlife
Sweet thanks. You tha Man! I finally understand now, been doing it wrong for years....

But major thxs guys!!!

Also thank you angl2k. Although how'd you figure out that your supposed to use your left hand and not palm mute?

in tabs, an X means a muted note, e.g.

D -------- 5 ---- x
A -------- x ---- x
E -------- 3 ---- x

palm mute is usually written down below the bars, like this

D -------- 5 -----5
A -------- 5 -----5
E -------- 3 -----3
pm         .      .

the dots below state which notes or chords should be palm muted. the difference is on the "x" mute you don't really hear a specific pitch whereas with palm muting you can hear a specific pitch

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/tablatures_definitions.html
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Last edited by angl2k at Oct 3, 2008,
X

Thats an octave, not palm muting. Palm muting has the little dot under the chord in the tab.

Place your right hand right by the bridge and press on the strings a little bit. Then play the chord. CHUGA CHUGA.
On a side note, if you're having trouble with a basic technique like palm muting, maybe you should get some more practice in before trying somthing challenging like, well, anything by Andy McKee. Sounds to me like you're biting off more then you can chew.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play