Id like to get a pair of good sounding speakers for when using my laptop at home. They will be for listening to music only. I want something with decent bass without having a subwoofer, 2.0 in other words. My budget is generally $100 USA.

Right now I'm leaning towards these:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Studiophile-AV40-Speakers?sku=600092

I've read that these give a flat, uncolored response. What does that mean...? Im assuming it means the EQ is balanced. Do you guys think they would be good for music..?

Im also considering these because they are smaller and cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaWorks-Premium-Speaker-System/dp/B00113V748/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222926201&sr=8-2

I think the first ones would sound better though.

Can anyone tell me anything about these two or suggest somthing else...? Thanks.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
why dont you want a sub woofer? the logitech 5.1 speakers are very nice
In heaven, all interesting people are absent.
A flat response is good for recording, not so good for listening to music - although I'm not sure if you could change that with running a program with built in EQ, such as iTunes.
Quote by Ecliptica24
why dont you want a sub woofer? the logitech 5.1 speakers are very nice

No where to put it. This is for my bedroom.
Quote by zxxAACxxz
Logitech Z 5500

+1

or the G51 if you're on a budget.

edit: maybe move a table or 2 around for 5.1? it's pretty damn worth it imo.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
honestly the woofer is like the size of a shoebox. you must have a pretty small room.
Im not gonna get 5.1. I have no where to set all the speakers. Besides, this is for music. 5.1 isnt necessary.

honestly the woofer is like the size of a shoebox. you must have a pretty small room.

Well, my rooms big enough. Its just, somthin about havin another giant box in my room turned me off. BUT, I think I might get 2.1 after all. My music would probably sound alot better with the real low end filled. Plus, with a sub, I could have smalled speakers and save valuable desk space.
But I do need to know one thing. So Ive heard that subwoofers arent very directional. So does that mean I could have it tucked away in the corner underneath my desk and it will still sound good? It wouldnt be muffled or get lost in the mix from bein under there..?
I dunno, i have mine under my desk and it doesnt sound any different
ye u can shove the woofer anywhere, best in the corner of a room.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Flat response means that the speakers are neutral to the incoming EQ. This is good for mixing recordings because you can hear an unbiased take of your sound.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I just today purchased a Logitech Z4 2.1 speaker system and it kicks ass! It actually sounds better than my (much more expensive) Sony system.

The speakers are a good size but the sub is fairly large, although by outting it on the floor under your desk should fix the problem. But yeah I'm really happy with it.
Quote by Gerard_xD
Who walks about without shoes? You're lucky she didn't arrest you.
Ok, Ive decided to get either these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002K6Y1C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Or these:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Inspire-T3100-2-1-Speakers/dp/B000IVL3DE/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Marketing would suggest that the 3100's are the upgraded version, but one reviewer said the 3000's have larger woofers in the sattellites. Wouldnt this make them have better range then the "improved" model. Ive looked all over at several spec lists and I only found one that said the 3000's have 3" woofers. I couldnt find the size of the 3100's. What do you guys think? Im currently leaning towards the 3000s mainly because its reviews are more consistent.
Logitech IMO has the best computer products.

Anything by them is great, especially the wireless stuff.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by MetalMegaMan
Logitech IMO has the best computer products.

Anything by them is great, especially the wireless stuff.

Well, I was going to get logitechs, but the overwhelming amount of reviews saying they have no mids turns me off.