Hello everyone. Musicians are poor. Especially when they're just starting out like most of you here. So, I thought I would make this semi-brief money making guide to help people out when they're in need of some money for their next musical project, equipment, or even if you want to take the hottest girl in school on a nice date. Use this information however you want. Please note that I will not link directly to websites as I don't want to come across as trying to spam/advertise. Most of these methods are quick fixes that provide no monetary gain in the long run. Use with discretion.

1. Jobs
Yes, jobs. Cliche I know, but, they do give you a smart, legal way to earn money. For fast cash, apply at places that are always hiring such as fast food joints, customer service, etc. It sucks, I know, but if you really need the money, you can stomach the work. A good thing about these employers is that as soon as you reach your desired amount of money, you can quit the job with no long term repercussions and as a bonus, you have something you can put on your future resume. A longer, more time consuming approach to getting a job that you'll actually like and that pertains to your skills, is giving guitar lessons (or some other musical instruction). This is just one example but, if you've got younger siblings with friends, talk to their parents and see if you can get them interested in beginning guitar lessons. Print out a business card or some sort of literature to seem more professional. If done right and advertised right, you can make some good money...

2. Craigslist
I will never buy anything of Craigslist, ever. Too much fraud. I don't recommend you buy/sell on here either. What I will tell you about though, is their free section. Find your state, town, and region and go under the Free category. You'll find dozens of ads with people just itching to give away free stuff! A lot of which is valuable (especially if you live in a nice neighborhood). Many people will just put the item on their drive way and all you have to do is drive by and pick it up. Some will have you ring the doorbell, it just depends. From there you can proceed to sell it somewhere online or pawn it off at a pawnshop. Try and be quick about finding ads and getting the item though! Other people are doing the same thing!

3. eBay
Take some time and locate items in your house that you haven't used in years. Ask yourself if you really need them. Chances are, you'll answer no. Find stuff that you think is decently valuable and start to pile it up. Search your closet, your garage, ask your parents, etc. Then, search the items you have stockpiled on eBay. You may be surprised that some of them are selling for a decent price. Get in on the action! I once found an old shortwave radio and sold it for $270. Maybe you'll get lucky too, just depends on the demand for the item at the time. Even stuff worth less than $10 is worth selling. (Protip: A lot of the times, I will sell bad birthday presents that I don't like on eBay.)

4. Surveys/Forms/Offers/Trials
I won't spend too much time on this section as I believe this way of making money is a bit sketchy. Basically, there are websites that let you fill out surveys, forms, offers, trail offers, etc and they pay you based on how many you fill out. A lot of them will credit money directly into your PayPal account or simply mail a check to you. I don't necessarily recommend this option as you can end up signing your mailing address, phone number, and e-mail up for a lot of spam/telemarketers. I have used some of these services before however and was making around $150 extra a month by just spending a few minutes a day. If you're really interested, search up resources on this yourself.

5. Use Your Talent
If you've got it, flaunt it. If you think you're good enough to take your musical skills on the street, go for it! Even if you play simple songs but give it that special feel, people will throw money at you like it has the plague. Ask the audience what they want to hear, to clap a long, to sing along, etc. it gets them more involved. Make sure your aloud to preform though. Some areas of city property have a no loitering regulation that you need to be aware of before you can take a seat and play.

6. Mom & Dad
This is a last resort. Suffocation. No breathing. Don't give a... I know you do it all the time but as musicians, you should exercise some independence. If you really need money and have tried all the above but still don't have enough. Ask your folks. The trick to this is however, not to ask them, but to PERSUADE them. Give them reasons as to why this money will benefit both you AND them. Draw up graphs, power points, etc. Print demographics, charts, anything that pertains to your request and makes you seem a little bit more professional. If all else fails, thrown down the "What Would Jesus Do?" card.

Ending Thoughts

Is this dude qualified?
No. I'm just like you. I'm a poor musician that wants, and would love some more money at times. I do however, have experience in all the above topics and have at one point or another made money from them. Currently, I work at a music academy and teach guitar. I also still from time to time sell stuff on eBay, use Craigslist "free" category, and fill out forms for extra cash. I also occasionally ask the parental units for some dough.

What about prostitution?
Again, if you've got it. Flaunt it.

So, that's the gist of it. Just some quick ideas that will hopefully inspire you to get out there and make some money. Please don't do anything illegal. I know it's your choice but it's not something be proud of or to be happy with. If you liked this guide, please feel free to tell others about it. Also, if you want to message me with any questions, please feel free to do so. Have a nice day and good luck out there!

tl;dr: If you were too lazy to read any of that, then this post wont appeal to you anyhow. Click the back button.

P.S. If you're one of those "tl;dr" people, don't go posting large, overly annoying, citation needed pictures. It's not like we think you're any smarter because you use Wikipedia.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Last edited by jasonmetal love at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by jasonmetal love
6. Mom & Dad
This is a last resort. Suffocation. No breathing. Don't give a...

Where I stopped reading. Lol.
Quote by Animorphy
Here's another tip:
Don't spend all the money you make!

Nice Tip!

By the way, have you ever beaten Ski Free? Cause' I haven't. It pisses me off.
Portugal. The Man »–
Craigslist is a great place to buy and sell things
Quick and easy

Usually some really good deals on there to.
Bought a nice drumset for $140 3 weeks ago
Pacific, 5Pc., with Cymbals
Some people are just desperate for cash

Quote by jasonmetal love
Nice Tip!

Hey, neither have I! I last played that game when I was 5, but I always got eaten by the sasquatch thing at the end.
I read the thread title as

Mexicans are Poor: The Quick Money Making Guide

I laughed
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Random88
I read the thread title as

Mexicans are Poor: The Quick Money Making Guide

I laughed

I guess it works both ways... I mean, Mexicans wont be able to use Craigslist to find free stuff but, they can drive around neighborhoods pretty slowly and look for free crap lying around.
Portugal. The Man »–
Ski Free is unbeatable, the Yeti/Bear never lets you off the mountain
./|\
(\o )=w==>
./ \

˙ᴥ˘
Ahhh... Brings to mind an old joke about a young bull and a wise old bull staring out over a field full of cows. The end result: Instead of running down and f****** one of them, walk down there and f*** them all.

At some point, everyone has to grow up and quit being delusional. It sucks to work your ass off 40 hours (most likely, more than that) a week at a crap paying job because you put your dreams in front of your needs.

First of all, sack up, and quit being a whiny pussy who lives off someone else, be it Mom/Dad or the government (i.e. my tax $$$'s). The exception is if you're in high school, 'cause that's what your supposed to do. In that case, just don't be a whiny pussy.

Put the bong away, get some kind of education or technical skill, and get a decent job so you can afford all the cool gear you crave and have more time off to play.

And be reliable. You could be marginaly competent, and as long as you show up to work every day on time, you will be regarded as a "keeper" in most jobs in America.

And don't forget the occasional basic hygenic techniques, even at the risk of losing street cred with your more "creative" friends. You might even get laid more.

Make a choice - get a little now, or a lot later. Unless, tho, you think you can beat the 1 in 100,000+ odds to become a successful professional musician.
Quote by jasonmetal love
Nice Tip!

You can't beat Ski Free. Anyone who tells you they have is a liar. The game is designed to kill time. There is no end.
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
Quote by The_Raven
THE PIT HAS BEEN INFILTRATED!!! WE HAVE A LIVE SQUARE!!!

Seriously, don't kill dreams. Let people live their lives how they want to, remarkably not everyone wants to live the same life that has been lives billions of times over.

Quick! Lets mock the guy who has a realistic grasp on life that doesn't conform with all us rockuhz!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
^Haha. Spot on.

Quote by jasonmetal love

1. Jobs
Yes, jobs. Cliche I know, but, they do give you a smart, legal way to earn money. For fast cash, apply at places that are always hiring such as fast food joints, customer service, etc. It sucks, I know, but if you really need the money, you can stomach the work. A good thing about these employers is that as soon as you reach your desired amount of money, you can quit the job with no long term repercussions and as a bonus, you have something you can put on your future resume. A longer, more time consuming approach to getting a job that you'll actually like and that pertains to your skills, is giving guitar lessons (or some other musical instruction). This is just one example but, if you've got younger siblings with friends, talk to their parents and see if you can get them interested in beginning guitar lessons. Print out a business card or some sort of literature to seem more professional. If done right and advertised right, you can make some good money...

Sure, until you actually want a job and have to explain why you worked at 5 fast food chains for six weeks at a time over the last year and half and why it is that you left.

2. Craigslist
I will never buy anything of Craigslist, ever. Too much fraud. I don't recommend you buy/sell on here either. What I will tell you about though, is their free section. Find your state, town, and region and go under the Free category. You'll find dozens of ads with people just itching to give away free stuff! A lot of which is valuable (especially if you live in a nice neighborhood). Many people will just put the item on their drive way and all you have to do is drive by and pick it up. Some will have you ring the doorbell, it just depends. From there you can proceed to sell it somewhere online or pawn it off at a pawnshop. Try and be quick about finding ads and getting the item though! Other people are doing the same thing!

Except most of the free stuff given away on craigslist is given away because it is worth less money than the time/effort it would take to dispose of it otherwise. TVs made before 2003 don't sell for shit, and no pawn shop wants to buy a fake leather couch with a hole in the back.

3. eBay
Take some time and locate items in your house that you haven't used in years. Ask yourself if you really need them. Chances are, you'll answer no. Find stuff that you think is decently valuable and start to pile it up. Search your closet, your garage, ask your parents, etc. Then, search the items you have stockpiled on eBay. You may be surprised that some of them are selling for a decent price. Get in on the action! I once found an old shortwave radio and sold it for $270. Maybe you'll get lucky too, just depends on the demand for the item at the time. Even stuff worth less than $10 is worth selling. (Protip: A lot of the times, I will sell bad birthday presents that I don't like on eBay.)

Protip: eBay takes a chunk of your profit and you have to deal with shipping That's why people give it away on craigslist. Is that worth unloading some 7 dollar shit you had in your basement? Maybe if you really want to buy your girlfriend some Taco Bell. Selling shit on eBay is a good way to make money if you have shit that's valuable, and if it's valuable, chances are you won't want to be selling it unless you need to.

4. Surveys/Forms/Offers/Trials
I won't spend too much time on this section as I believe this way of making money is a bit sketchy. Basically, there are websites that let you fill out surveys, forms, offers, trail offers, etc and they pay you based on how many you fill out. A lot of them will credit money directly into your PayPal account or simply mail a check to you. I don't necessarily recommend this option as you can end up signing your mailing address, phone number, and e-mail up for a lot of spam/telemarketers. I have used some of these services before however and was making around $150 extra a month by just spending a few minutes a day. If you're really interested, search up resources on this yourself.

Most of these website send you something like $2.50 per survey. Each survey takes usually 15-30 minutes. What's minimum wage?

5. Use Your Talent
If you've got it, flaunt it. If you think you're good enough to take your musical skills on the street, go for it! Even if you play simple songs but give it that special feel, people will throw money at you like it has the plague. Ask the audience what they want to hear, to clap a long, to sing along, etc. it gets them more involved. Make sure your aloud to preform though. Some areas of city property have a no loitering regulation that you need to be aware of before you can take a seat and play.

Become a bum. Great idea. Ask a street musician why it is they have holes in their shoes and play an acoustic made by a company called Bibson.

6. Mom & Dad
This is a last resort. Suffocation. No breathing. Don't give a... I know you do it all the time but as musicians, you should exercise some independence. If you really need money and have tried all the above but still don't have enough. Ask your folks. The trick to this is however, not to ask them, but to PERSUADE them. Give them reasons as to why this money will benefit both you AND them. Draw up graphs, power points, etc. Print demographics, charts, anything that pertains to your request and makes you seem a little bit more professional. If all else fails, thrown down the "What Would Jesus Do?" card.

Are you ****ing joking? If your parents will give you money whenever you ask, chances are you really don't need to be selling your shit on ebay to make ends meet.

Is this dude qualified?

No.

You guys want to make money? Get a ****ing job or sell drugs.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Oct 2, 2008,
^Actually eBay doesn't take anything out of your sell... You have to pay them a monthly fee to be a member. But other than that, they don't take anything out. My mom made a lot of money off of her eBay store. I still wouldn't recommend doing it, because you probably don't have anything worth any money. If you do, you probably don't wanna sell it. Plus it's just too much of a hassle.

And actually they give you about $5.00 for like 5 surveys that take about 15-30 minutes each. I know. I tried the survey thing.

I spend all of my money on heroin.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Vornik

Protip: eBay takes a chunk of your profit and you have to deal with shipping That's why people give it away on craigslist. Is that worth unloading some 7 dollar shit you had in your basement? Maybe if you really want to buy your girlfriend some Taco Bell. Selling shit on eBay is a good way to make money if you have shit that's valuable, and if it's valuable, chances are you won't want to be selling it unless you need to.

Screw that bitch, the Taco Bell is mine!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by The_Raven
THE PIT HAS BEEN INFILTRATED!!! WE HAVE A LIVE SQUARE!!!

Seriously, don't kill dreams. Let people live their lives how they want to, remarkably not everyone wants to live the same life that has been lives billions of times over.

Yup, square as a cardboard box! Don't get me wrong, tho. Live life however one desires, but don't let unwise choices and unrealistic goals set you up for a lifetime of unfullfilment at any level because too many eggs were placed in one basket.

Take a look at Craigslist and you'll find plenty of "need money fast, must pay rent" where people are dumping their music gear for pennies on the dollar. Personally, I'd rather be a little more realistic (and square!) to reap reward a little later than get the giant bitchslap that life throws out eventually. Could it be said that with less risk comes less reward? Yup. But I'll never find myself having a Craigslist fire sale on my favorite guitar or dine on Ramen noodles for 2 months straight while I figure out where my next check is coming from.

Works for me, tho. I now make the most money for the least amount of work than at any point in my life, and that affords me the opportunities to do the things that I enjoy the most. Yeah, I've lived on Dinty Moore, Ramen, and generic hot dogs. It sucks. Now I can eat all the Del Taco I want!
Quote by metacarpi
Screw that bitch, the Taco Bell is mine!

Hell yeah! Besides, if you buy a chick a nachos bell grande, she's gonna waste most of it anyways. Just give her a couple of sugar packets and a diet Pepsi. If she leaves, she wasn't yours to begin with. If she comes back, then she's wife material.
Quote by Vornik
Sure, until you actually want a job and have to explain why you worked at 5 fast food chains for six weeks at a time over the last year and half and why it is that you left.

Except most of the free stuff given away on craigslist is given away because it is worth less money than the time/effort it would take to dispose of it otherwise. TVs made before 2003 don't sell for shit, and no pawn shop wants to buy a fake leather couch with a hole in the back.

Most of these website send you something like $2.50 per survey. Each survey takes usually 15-30 minutes. What's minimum wage?

Become a bum. Great idea. Ask a street musician why it is they have holes in their shoes and play an acoustic made by a company called Bibson.

Are you ****ing joking? If your parents will give you money whenever you ask, chances are you really don't need to be selling your shit on ebay to make ends meet.

No.

You guys want to make money? Get a ****ing job or sell drugs.

Well first of all, this isn't meant to make A LOT of money. It's just some ideas for fast money. Secondly, I didn't say get 5 jobs at a fast food chain. Thirdly, hey! You can cuss!, Fourthly,
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by cheapr2keepr
Yup, square as a cardboard box!...

Your posts in this thread are my sentiment exactly.

I now work in IT, earn good dollar, and can afford the nice things in life, like learning to drive (23, only jsut started that one). I'll soon have a car. Once this is out the way, I can get as much gig gear as I like.

A good non-musical career is a very important thing to have.