So, for my final exam project I'm going to build a guitar from "scratch".
Me and my friend dont know too much about how to build one.

We'r planning on making it a bolt on nek, with a blues/rock sound.

Though, we dont know too much about materials and the proper way of making a guitar.

So, are there any good guides that walk you threw it?

What kind of wood(yes, ha-ha I said wood) is good to work with?

Any hints or tips?

Thanks

p.s. we'r gonna order the nek compleetly, so we'r just gonna make the body from scratch.
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Proffesser Oak : I Came when i heard you beat the elite four

Read this book,

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock

this website will probably help

www.projectguitar.com

and for something like blues and rock I would guess your going for a warm, mahogany sounding body?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Read this book,

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock

this website will probably help

www.projectguitar.com

and for something like blues and rock I would guess your going for a warm, mahogany sounding body?

Just finished reading that whole book last night it's a great book, I usually just looked at parts I needed another good one is building electric guitars by martin koch.
Thanks, ima take a look at those books
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Proffesser Oak : I Came when i heard you beat the elite four

Last edited by Piel at Oct 3, 2008,
Yeah, reading those books should tell you everything you need to know. The basics, anyway.

As for bluesy guitar, Strats are known for that. You could do an alder or swamp ash body with 3 single coils. Same configuration as a strat, so it should have similar sounds.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I think the blues/rock tone your going for would be mostly found in your amp. If your running a fender tube amp, regardless of the guitar (to a point) you will have that tone.

Just get some medium output humbuckers and call it good. Contact nuthinbuttrouble or however it's spelled. He wound some for my build, and they are exactly what I wanted. It's known under TDM pickups.

Other than that, mahogany is a decent wood. It's heavy, and easy to work with I suppose. You could go with ash, but in my opinion, when it's unfinished, oiled, or clear coat, it's not very aesthetically pleasing.

As for figuring out how to go about building a guitar, just start looking through peoples build threads. Just study the pictures and read a lot. All the information is there, you just need to fish through the garbage and find the good stuff.
I say do a Swamp Ash body with a P-90 in the bridge and 2 Strat singles. Would give you a rather wide variety of sounds, and would still have better-than-normal distortion for a single. A Strat-esque body would be cool, but thats just me.