Anyone played one?
Are they any good?
They're inexpensive, and they look sweet, and Kramers are a respectable name for 80s glam metal and stuff.

I've read reviews, some saying they play great, some saying they play bad, but most of them say they have really bad pickups.

So anyone own one/played one?

Are they worth the money? I am willing to put some extra cash in for new pickups, but if the bridge sucks or something, I'll save some more money for something else.

So yeah, anyone got an opinion on them?
Member of the Laney Cult
Harmony Central User Reviews
Summary
Features 9.0 (16 responses)
Sound 8.4 (16 responses)
Action, Fit, & Finish 7.7 (16 responses)
Reliability/Durability 8.4 (14 responses)
Customer Support 8.5 (11 responses)
Overall Rating 8.5 (13 responses)

I wouldn't base your desision just on these things^^

Go down to your local guitar shop and try it out...
If they don't have it, try out different guitars that have the same neck profile, same frets, same pickups etc
Yeah, I'm trying one out tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone had really negative or positives reviews on it.
Thanks for your help though.
Member of the Laney Cult
A friend of mine picked up one of those a year or so ago & I have a Kramer NightRider (Korean-made semi-hollow w/ Floyd-Rose) as well as some of the Quad-rail pickups.

As I recall, they're pretty standard for import shredder-types. The necks are fairly thin (not quite Wizard thin, though) and have a compound radius, which is a nice touch. The hardware (tuners, knobs, bridge, etc) is decent and very usable, the licensed Floyd on mine stays in tune well & works flawlessly.

The pickups are where these guitars tend to fall short. The Quad-rail is pretty muddy, but I threw it in the neck position of one of main main gigging guitars with a coil-split & have gotten some decent tones out of it. As for the dual-rail pickups, they're pretty run of the mill for rail-type 'pups. I threw one in the bridge of my Strat and it sounded decent enough.

Now, a word of caution... I've found some of the recently-made Kramers are coming out of Indonesia & have some serious QC issues. Make sure you try before you buy!
Pretty much what sinofian said, especially about the pickups. I changed mine and with new pickups the guitar sounds great. The neck is really nice for a guitar in that price range.

Basically its a guitar where the body and neck are nice but the electronics could be a lot better (but then its not a high end guitar) and you can drop in a Schaller Floyd no problem if you wanted. The bridge stays in tune well for me but then I do not abuse the hell out of it like others. I'd try and look for the flame maple top version with the HSH setup, it has a thicker body then the HSS cause of the maple veneer.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i've got one of the older korean ones... i'm not that fussed to be honest. it's alright, and if you get it cheap enough i guess it might be worth considering, but i'd personally look elsewhere...

if the new indonesian ones are even worse, as said above, i'd be extremely wary...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can you actually buy Kramers in stores again?

I thought you had to get them through MusicYo.com.

I remember when they used to sell Kramer at one store near me and they were really expensive.

The only one I own is a left handed model. It's one of the Elliot Easton prototypes that was hand built by Tom Anderson. Unfortunatly I am right handed.
not sure, i got mine off musicyo when they still had a european-based website. i've heard some of the guys on forums saying that you could get them in some US shops maybe, but i'm not in the us so i can't check... i know before soundcontrol (chain over here presumably similar to GC) went bust, i tried a richie sambora model there (this was about a year ago)...

http://www.kramerguitars.com/Dealers.aspx according to that there are dealers...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ohh wow not only does SenorSmiley have old Fenders but now he's got rare Kramers too....unbelievable

/sarcasm
Musicians Pro Shop in Queensland, Australia has them (which is where I am at the moment).
They have some older models (80s or 90s, I'm really not sure at all about Kramers), so I might try them out too.
Thanks for the opinions.
Member of the Laney Cult
Stay away from the 80's Aerostars and Strikers, plywood bodies. The Focus line was awesome, made in Japan with OFR's and of course anything from them made in USA (Pacers!!!). Beware though, all their neck plates say Neptune, NJ on it even the overseas models. This is why you see knobheads on EBay trying to sell an Aerostar thats worth no more then $100 for $400+ thinking its a USA model and when you email them and they brush you off and say "Nope it says NJ on it, its American made".
For the Music Yo Kramers, its almost the opposite. The Pacers and Focus line is cheap crap and the Striker is a decent axe. Their 1984 and Baretta reissue is top notch.
^The MusicYo Kramers were the first production Kramers to be made in the US. Everything from the 80s had parts made in Japan (some by ESP) and were assembled in the US. Despite that, my Kramer "American" Pacer Custom II is great.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Not all, although I agree the necks and bodies on American made Kramers in the later 80's were made by ESP assembled in USA, the early 80's 'beak' headstock Kramers the necks were made in the USA by...geez name escapes me but yes you're kinda right and yes the Yo USA models were 100% USA made except maybe the 1984 but I'm not completely sure on that. The Baretta and Jersey Star were 100% though.

I kinda regret not buying the Music Yo Baretta last year but then on the other hand I'd rather buy an 80's Baretta body in good condition and build myself a mutt. Having said that, I'm still blown away by my Focus after 6 months of owning it Awesome guitar
Quote by DSOTM80
Stay away from the 80's Aerostars and Strikers, plywood bodies. The Focus line was awesome, made in Japan with OFR's and of course anything from them made in USA (Pacers!!!). Beware though, all their neck plates say Neptune, NJ on it even the overseas models. This is why you see knobheads on EBay trying to sell an Aerostar thats worth no more then $100 for $400+ thinking its a USA model and when you email them and they brush you off and say "Nope it says NJ on it, its American made".
For the Music Yo Kramers, its almost the opposite. The Pacers and Focus line is cheap crap and the Striker is a decent axe. Their 1984 and Baretta reissue is top notch.

Thanks for the warnings! You seem very knowledged on the subject of Kramers...
I notice you own the FR-424CM...from the specs on the website, it seems to be identical to the FR422SM, except for the neck humbucker and the maple top...are they significantly better in construction/hardware etc? Or are they relatively the same?
I'd be aiming to replace the pickups, but preferably nothing else.

So, is the FR-424CM much better? Whether it is or not, what do you think of it?
Member of the Laney Cult
Well I don't know everything, but I know enough :P

vintagekramer.com is an awesome site if you want to find out more.

Anyways, about the Yo Striker. I bought the FR-424CM cause it...cost more haha naa jk I didn't know much about the newer ones besides people saying they were worth the dough. So I took a risk and I'm happy with it, though like I said before I hated the pickups but thats almost a normal upgrade for a lot of players.

Anyways, I've never seen the 422SM version before I bought it up until earlier this year in a store. First thing I noticed was that the body is slimmer. The 424CM has a maple veneer and you can see the wood through the paint in the back so a much nicer look. Everything else is the same, same neck, electronics etc. I'd definitely try before you buy but I'd go for the 424CM.
Quote by DSOTM80
Well I don't know everything, but I know enough :P

vintagekramer.com is an awesome site if you want to find out more.

Anyways, about the Yo Striker. I bought the FR-424CM cause it...cost more haha naa jk I didn't know much about the newer ones besides people saying they were worth the dough. So I took a risk and I'm happy with it, though like I said before I hated the pickups but thats almost a normal upgrade for a lot of players.

Anyways, I've never seen the 422SM version before I bought it up until earlier this year in a store. First thing I noticed was that the body is slimmer. The 424CM has a maple veneer and you can see the wood through the paint in the back so a much nicer look. Everything else is the same, same neck, electronics etc. I'd definitely try before you buy but I'd go for the 424CM.

I'm heading off in an hour to try out some Kramers (old and new), and I'll let y'all know what the deal is. Thanks heaps for all the help!
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by DSOTM80
Not all, although I agree the necks and bodies on American made Kramers in the later 80's were made by ESP assembled in USA, the early 80's 'beak' headstock Kramers the necks were made in the USA by...geez name escapes me but yes you're kinda right and yes the Yo USA models were 100% USA made except maybe the 1984 but I'm not completely sure on that. The Baretta and Jersey Star were 100% though.

do you have any more info on this? i really liked the sambora model i tried, but chickened out because it had "assembled in the USA" on it, which to me sounds like the parts were made elsewhere (and i don't like to feel i'm being conned)... also it was still a little expensive...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you have any more info on this? i really liked the sambora model i tried, but chickened out because it had "assembled in the USA" on it, which to me sounds like the parts were made elsewhere (and i don't like to feel i'm being conned)... also it was still a little expensive...

vintagekramer.com check that out, I think the info is there
oh ok, thanks, i think i've checked that site before, lol. i'll take another look just in case they've changed anything since i was last there... EDIT: my big concern with them is that they're sponsored by musicyo now... potential for bias in other words...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Naa not really biased. The one thing that I noticed is if you see the guys who show off their collections on that site, the ones they have of the new Kramers is the Jersey Star and Baretta reissues. So I guess that says something considering they have some pretty rare guitars.

I'd look into some 80's Charvels also.
i dunno, i'm a cynical chap. if the person who makes the guitars is paying you for advertising, you're probably going to be a bit more charitable in the review...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea I tend to agree, but I'm a member of that forum (Kramer Forum, sister to VK) and its anything but that. Its makes UG look like Disney Land on crack lol
fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have one... i swapped the bridge pup for a tonezone... and got the neck sanded down coz mine was a lil too thick... well it sounds pretty good but i dont REALLY like how it feels... so yeah go try it.

i tried recording some stuff with it using my gt 8 direct to my shitty sound card.. ignore the riff, tho.. i hit the rec button and on audacity then made it up as i went along. and im not too good at makin music so spont, so.... http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/jayeshrc/music/all/play429691
Last edited by jayeshrc at Oct 4, 2008,
I just got a reverse neck 424 H/S/H but it didn't make the trip well neck snapped off Kinda jacked cause it looks brand new and I really like the finish & they don't make a rosewood H/S/H at the moment. MusicYO has a H/S/S like it right now so I may grab that when I get my insurance check for the broke Kramer.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by twisty571
I just got a reverse neck 424 H/S/H but it didn't make the trip well neck snapped off Kinda jacked cause it looks brand new and I really like the finish & they don't make a rosewood H/S/H at the moment. MusicYO has a H/S/S like it right now so I may grab that when I get my insurance check for the broke Kramer.

Oh for f*ck sakes I did not need to see that this morning lol. I'm just about to lay down some cash on an '83 Kramer Pacer Special and have it sent to me. I'll show you guys some pictures the guy sent me.....

Nice,this is the pic before it was sent......
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Nice, yea they got the exact same one on Music Yo with an HSS like you said. How did it break? Did the guy not pack it enough when he sent it?
i have one and it hasnt broken. ive used it onstage and shit for the last 1.5 yrs... my friend got his like 10 months ago... his is fine too.