Page 3 of 293
Quote by Kepulix
I never bothered to learn any old Opeth 'cause there's so many harmonies, was that decision a mistake?

yep

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
yep

I agree. Listen to old Opeth plz. I like newerr opeth more but seriously.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
You guys like Opeth, right? I heard you might.

More like Nopeth, amiright? Ahahahahaah.

Go ahead, sound the alarm, yell fire.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Quote by greety
You guys like Opeth, right? I heard you might.

More like Nopeth, amiright? Ahahahahaah.

Go ahead, sound the alarm, yell fire.

Yespeth. Of course we do.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Old opeth is so much better, right? Sooooo much.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
yep

Any song recs that sound good with just one guitar?
Quote by Xplozive
I agree. Listen to old Opeth plz. I like newerr opeth more but seriously.

I do listen to old Opeth, I just have never learnt any old Opeth with guitar
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

omg greety spammd banhim lulz.

Eh, this is gonna be just as bad as before when Frenchy leaves.

Playing Dirge For November rite nao.
Quote by greety
Old opeth is so much better, right? Sooooo much.

DUH!

Orchid & Morningrise >>>> all other albums, except the BWP song which is >>>> all other music ever made and stuff.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
DUH!

Orchid & Morningrise >>>> all other albums, except the BWP song which is >>>> all other music ever made and stuff.

Now there are people in this thread who know me. I can't pull off being ignorant anymore.

Honestly, what did you guys think of Watershed? I know it's a few months old topic now. To be honest, first run through I really enjoyed it but it didn't hold up on repeated listenings. In fact thats almost every Opeth album for now except MAYH and Blackwater occasionally. I still love them, but I can't find their music as inventitive or amazing as I used to after venturing into the prog world more.
Quote by darkstar2466
DUH!

Defenders of the Orchid Faith! Rally hither!

Woe unto he who ranks Orchid less than Three.

EDIT: My sentiments exactly ^. Watershed lost substance for me, as has Blackwater Park (sorry Darkstar). I never liked Ghost Reveries to begin with.
Quote by greety
Honestly, what did you guys think of Watershed? I know it's a few months old topic now. To be honest, first run through I really enjoyed it but it didn't hold up on repeated listenings. In fact thats almost every Opeth album for now except MAYH and Blackwater occasionally. I still love them, but I can't find their music as inventitive or amazing as I used to after venturing into the prog world more.

I like Watershed because it's an Opeth album - Opeth albums cannot possibly be bad listening experiences. I don't like Watershed because it lacks something. That something, I've never been able to explain, but I know it does. But as I've also said, it's better than 99.9998985601% better than all other music made in 2007/2008.

Hex Omega is just plain awesome.

EDIT: LOLOLOL. The one visible tear on that kid's cheek. Priceless.

Quote by Broadsword
Defenders of the Orchid Faith! Rally hither!

Woe unto he who ranks Orchid less than Three.

EDIT: My sentiments exactly ^. Watershed lost substance for me, as has Blackwater Park (sorry Darkstar). I never liked Ghost Reveries to begin with.

BWP still retains awesomeness in mah book. GR = meh. And BWP song still > life also.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by darkstar2466
I like Watershed because it's an Opeth album - Opeth albums cannot possibly be bad listening experiences. I don't like Watershed because it lacks something. That something, I've never been able to explain, but I know it does. But as I've also said, it's better than 99.9998985601% better than all other music made in 2007/2008.

Hex Omega is just plain awesome.

BWP still retains awesomeness in mah book. GR = meh. And BWP song still > life also.

I'm listening to music and my shuffle just skipped to A Change of Seasons. Wow. I honestly think thi song owns any opeth song.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Orchid is fairly far down to me. Blackwater Park and Still Life will always be the best and Ghost Reveries will always be the worst though.
*Will defend Watershed until the end*

Watershed is a brilliant album, it's just a step in a different direction. Looking at it alongside Opeth's earlier albums is unfair in my opinion.
Quote by Xplozive
I'm listening to music and my shuffle just skipped to A Change of Seasons. Wow. I honestly think thi song owns any opeth song.

That song is 26 minutes long and all... but it's not that good. Now Octavarium is a good contender.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Xplozive

I fucking hate Dream Theater so much. Like, that post almost made me angry, I am so disappointed.

The two don't even come close...
Quote by korinaflyingv
Well all the albums are amazing... just damnation is the least amazing. I listen to opeth mainly for the contrast, which damnation just doesn't have.

Fair enough. But just for Hope Leaves + Windowpane I'd rank it over a third of their discography.
I like A Change of Seasons and Images and Words, but otherwise, Dream Theater's decidely meh for me.

Also, can't believe I forgot Watershed on my new ranking! It slots in between Morningrise and Orchid for me....

EDIT: I love all the songs on damnation, but it doesn't really match up to their other stuff as an album IMO. But yeah, Windowpane = one of the best starts to an album ever.
Quote by darkstar2466
That song is 26 minutes long and all... but it's not that good. Now Octavarium is a good contender.

23:09 minutes*. It owns Octavarium the song btw. Octavarium is a good song but can't contend with ACoS.

Also Internal Chaoos - You don't have to remind me you hate Dream Thearer and love ther Chugsz.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by Xplozive
23:09 minutes*. It owns Octavarium the song btw. Octavarium is a good song but can't contend with ACoS.

Also Internal Chaoos - You don't have to remind me you hate Dream Thearer and love ther Chugsz.

THERE'S NO FUCKING PASSION, IT'S JUST WANKER SHRED SHIT, AND COMPARING IT TO THE DIVERSITY AND BEAUTY REPRESENTED BY OPETH IS A FUCKING CRIME.

/behavioural med enduced rant
Whatever. 23, 26... same thing. After 20, I stop counting.

Octavarium >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ACoS

ACoS is Octavarium's used toiled paper.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Whatever. 23, 26... same thing. After 20, I stop counting.

Octavarium >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ACoS

ACoS is Octavarium's used toiled paper.

Lolzordz. Best thing from 8varium is Razor'z edge solo otherwise meh. Acos is ownage
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by Kepulix
Any song recs that sound good with just one guitar?

I do listen to old Opeth, I just have never learnt any old Opeth with guitar

Advent, To Bid You Farewell, Forest of October, Under the Weeping Moon, The Twilight and My Robe

Possibly also The Night and the Silent Water

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Beware the off-topic guys...

<_<

>_>

ACoS > 8varium any day.

I listened to Morningrise for the first time in ages today. There's nowhere near enough DeFarfalla love round these parts.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
Beware the off-topic guys...

<_<

>_>

ACoS > 8varium any day.

I listened to Morningrise for the first time in ages today. There's nowhere near enough DeFarfalla love round these parts.

Thankyou.

I rest my case.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
Advent, To Bid You Farewell, Forest of October, Under the Weeping Moon, The Twilight and My Robe

Possibly also The Night and the Silent Water

I'll look into them, thanks man

Quote by Kepulix
I'll look into them, thanks man

np, most of those aren't that hard either, and sound good; enjoy

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Always wanted to learn To Bid You Farewell anyway hahha

as for DeFarfalla, he was good, but to me, Mendez has equalled him; his playing is more subtle, but if you listen to it, it has some really really nice parts and fills

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
as for DeFarfalla, he was good, but to me, Mendez has equalled him; his playing is more subtle, but if you listen to it, it has some really really nice parts and fills

I think Mendeaz is stupidly under-rated. Coil bass line is win. But no one talks about either of them much.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
BWP >= Still Life > the rest.
My math is infappable.
(yes i did that on purpose)

Edit: Oooooh, new thread -still got that new-opeth-thread-smell.
Last edited by powerhead at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by eazy-c

are you serious? most people round here seem to prefer him to mendez...
I think mendez suits the albums he's on really well, and vice versa. Morningrise wouldn't be as good with mendez-ish basslines, and watershed wouldn't be as good with defarfalla-ish basslines.
Opeth's singer is also in another band called bloodbath, its brutal
Just as the lord and redeemer foresaw,
A suitable place for his son to be born.
So did the devil, he knew a place.
From which all evil could root,
It was Babylon
Quote by Broadsword
^ Yep, pretty much.

But damn, his bass lines on To Bid You Farewell are awesome.

Yes, yes they are. Now I have to listen to that song.

And Bloodbath? I'm pretty sure 12 out of every 10 people in the metal forum know that, buddy :P
Quote by powerhead
I hate everyone that has ever/is going to see Opeth. It's just not.... fair.

Ha just saw them saturday. They were phenomenal.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮