Hello helpful UG'ers.

I'd like to lie and say that I didn't make this account to ask this question, but you know, I'm an honest person. I've been kind of lurking around the forums lately etc etc. anyway.

I spent 4 hours across 2 guitar shops today, I live in Melb, Australia btw, I'm sure that piece of information will become useful, wow i'm digressing again.

point is:
I narrowed it down to two:

Alvarez - MD90C - $1600
Maton - EM325C - $1529

They both sound very similar, hard to pick a difference with my ears, both very good at resonating those highs and dont lack too much in the lush low chord department either. Both very plucky, springy guitars and yes I lack a great vocabulary.
I played both acoustically and plugged in for quite a while.

Point is, anyone experienced these guitars? good? bad?

For anyone interested in the specs:

MD90C

Body Style: Cutaway Dreadnought
Back: Solid Indian Rosewood
Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
Top: Solid Englemann Spruce
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Fingerboard Inlay: 12 F Diagonal
Body Binding: Maple
Soundhole Rosette: Abalone
Tuning Machines: Nickel Die Cast
Finish: Natural
Electronics: System 600T Mk II

EM325C

Soundboard "A Select" Grade Solid Sitka Spruce
Rosette Multi Banded
Inner Binding White/Black/White
Outer Binding Black
Back Queensland Walnut
Sides Queensland Walnut
Neck Queensland Maple
Headstock Queensland Maple
Fingerboard Rosewood/Dot Inlays
Bridge Rosewood
Finish Satin
Pickup AP5
Pick Guard Black with Gold "M"
Machine Heads Chrome Grover Rotomatic

Thanks for any advice!
Quote by Viktor Smidy
Buy electric...for this money you can get pretty good instrument...

You. Go away, this is the acoustic forum, lol.

Anyway, the MD90 was reviewed by a member before, i think. Honestly, if both sound good to you then i think the next deciding point is comfort and then looks.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Have one of the store clerks play each one for you while you listen. Sometimes you get a different feel for how a guitar sounds by standing back and listening rather than playing. After all, the sound radiates out and away from the player, so to those listening, it may be different. Then you need to sit down with each one and play them. And I mean play them. Do things with them that you would expect the guitar to be able to handle. Barre chords, slides, bends(if you can do them on an acoustic, I'm not sure of your skill level), hammers and pulls. Just mix up a load of different music on each guitar. You'll home in on the one that suits you the best.
alvarez ftw, imo...really though i've played a few and i cant find anything wrong with them. plus, richard thompson plays an alvarez and if its good enough for him than its good enough for me
Pot
Kettle
Black
what would a cole clark cost you? arent those the cat's meow? seagull?

i'd hate to stray from your given two options but...
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
they dont sell seagulls anywhere in melbourne, all cole clarks are completely solid, which means for me getting a bottom of the range guitar, which is inferiour to a midrange alvarez or maton. but thanks anyway, those are the two other brands which i was thinking of actually because of their somewhat notorious overtone accentuation.

i am leaning more and more towards the alvarez i tried out a few more matons today and i like them less every time i play them, not that i dont still love them.

its hard to find a store down here that does alvarez, ive called like five places, and i've only tried the one model, so maybe ill head back to the same store and try a few others.

but seriously, keep the suggestions coming
any help is awesome help
Well I'm torn. As an Australian I'm compelled to recommend the Maton but the Alvarez is a better guitar on paper and a better sounding guitar from my playing experience also.
Thinking about it, I have to recommend the Alvarez. $1529 is too much for a guitar that doesnt at least have a solid back in my opinion.

all cole clarks are completely solid, which means for me getting a bottom of the range guitar, which is inferiour to a midrange alvarez or maton.

Say what? I own an FL1A and it is superior to every Maton 325 Ive played and Ive played quite a few.
Quote by nathan_89

its hard to find a store down here that does alvarez, ive called like five places, and i've only tried the one model, so maybe ill head back to the same store and try a few others.

On the alvarez website, they have a place where you can find authorized alvarez retailers in your area
I have an alvarez md95, which I adore. Fantastic guitar. I keep going into guitar stores to play others, and have yet to find one in the same price rang that plays as well as mine does. I haven't played matons b4, but I can *highly* recommend the alvarez.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********
Hi there, does anyone have any info on the Alvarez CG-44, cannot find anything on the net ... trying to know what year it was made, timber type, value etc..

any info much appreciated !!
Say what? I own an FL1A and it is superior to every Maton 325 Ive played and Ive played quite a few.

I 2nd this comment FL1A all way