Sorry if theres a thread for this, I couldn't find it.

I need the best mic for growling. Mine are very similar to Opeth and Arsis. Has anyone here recorded growls like this and if so what mic and how was it?

Don't worry about price, unless it's over $1000.
There is no "best" microphone for anything, your doing vocals so you want a condensor. Go into a shop and ask them if you can try out different microphones there to see if they ive you what you want. Then choose the one which you think is the best to the sound you want to get.
The Shure SM58 is a good one.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by magic medicine
the best way to record growls is with a microphone that is turned off

God that's ignorant.

Sorry if you don't like metal. No one really cares, but why go into a thread just to be a 12 year old?

Loser.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
God that's ignorant.

Sorry if you don't like metal. No one really cares, but why go into a thread just to be a 12 year old?

Loser.

Eh, that made no sense. So only 12-year olds don't like metal?
Quote by Time Seller

It made perfect sense...

I wasn't saying he was a child for disliking metal. I said he was a child for coming into this thread SOLELY to insult metal, not to try and answer the question. This makes him a child and a massive tool.

Sorry if that concept is too hard for you to grasp.
Quote by Time Seller

BAM!

it depends on the singer and environment. if its live, like someone said above, I'd recommend the sm58. something like a dynamic mic is best for this.

recording is a completely different discussion. u can experiment with different mics, most likely best to float around the condenser and dynamic mics. the most popular mic in the studio is an sm57, which is essential a 58 anyway.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
It made perfect sense...

I wasn't saying he was a child for disliking metal. I said he was a child for coming into this thread SOLELY to insult metal, not to try and answer the question. This makes him a child and a massive tool.

dude growls have nothing to do with metal.

but if you're looking for a good mic, I suggest the Rode K2.
Sennheiser MD421. The de facto standard. It also kicks ass on bass and guitar amps.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Gordita Supreme
It made perfect sense...

Go for the Rode K2 or an SM58.

1. He did not insult metal, actually. He commented about growling. Growling isn't exclusively the property of metal, the last time I checked.

2. Alright, so if I come into a thread solely to insult metal, I become a kid. That's nice. I hope I remember that when I'm old.

3. You seem to have some sort of inferiority complex, actually. You seem to be insulting everyone that doesn't completely agree with your way of life. Brava, ragazza.

4. Yes, the concept of being a child for coming into this thread SOLELY to insult metal is a bit hard for me to grasp, actually.
IMHO, the Rode's a bit too warm for what you want. You could just get the cardioid-only variety (NTK) and save a bit of money. That's the only pattern you'll use thanks to the proximity effect (the closer you get, the more bass). Or go for the transistor based Rodes like the NT2-A for clarity. That said, the K2 is a good microphone, but I haven't heard too much about it being exceptional in the low end.
As for the SM58, it's pretty darn bright in my experience. It works for screamo, but growling may be a mixed bag, unless you use high cut filters.

Another solid choice would be the Electrovoice RE20. The Sennheiser and RE20 are around $400-500, depending if you get used, B-stock, or new.

Of course, assuming you have a good sound card, you should look into a good clear preamp like the FMR RNP, dbx 286A (probably the best value here), or Universal Audio Solo 110 to ensure clarity and presence...if it's warm, your growling could be fuzzier than you want.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Time Seller
Go for the Rode K2 or an SM58.

1. He did not insult metal, actually. He commented about growling. Growling isn't exclusively the property of metal, the last time I checked.

2. Alright, so if I come into a thread solely to insult metal, I become a kid. That's nice. I hope I remember that when I'm old.

3. You seem to have some sort of inferiority complex, actually. You seem to be insulting everyone that doesn't completely agree with your way of life. Brava, ragazza.

4. Yes, the concept of being a child for coming into this thread SOLELY to insult metal is a bit hard for me to grasp, actually.

You can cut the pseudo intellectual bullshit child. It was immature and unnecessary to say what you said, so I pointed that out. Okay, growling isn't "owned" by metal, but either way you still came into the thread to trash growling, which is still lame. I'm not insulting anyone, you nerds are trying to act smarter than you actually are and are over analyzing the fact that I said you acted like children. And no I don't have a complex just because I think you act like a 12 year old, thanks Dr. Phil!
Last edited by Gordita Supreme at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by Gordita Supreme
You can cut the pseudo intellectual bullshit child. It was immature and unnecessary to say what you said, so I pointed that out. Okay, growling isn't "owned" by metal, but either way you still came into the thread to trash growling, which is still lame. I'm not insulting anyone, you nerds are trying to act smarter than you actually are and are over analyzing the fact that I said you acted like children. And no I don't have a complex just because I think you act like a 12 year old, thanks Dr. Phil!

I wasn't the one who commented against growling, genius.
I find its less about the microphone, and more about your own technique as well as the way you record yourself.

the "growling" i did on my own tunes were done with an sm58 knockoff but it seemed to turn out well enough due to the way i recorded it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.