i can uy i a fender blues junor for 350 and free shipping. is it a good deal. and if i get it is it good for metal or just blues?
guys will tell you, that with the right pedal, you can pull off metal. but it's really not voiced for metal.

if you can find a used peavey classic 30, you'll much happier in the long run.

it's not bad for most styles, but when you add too much gain (thru a pedal) the amp starts to rattle, it's not what it's made to do best.

with that said, that's not a bad price, so think it out. it mostly depends on what else it available in your area. (boston?) haha.

go yanks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well the yanks did not make the wild card so i am happy. but i live in virginia. all i want to spend is 500 what should i get then. i play metal. and like rock.
do you play in a band?

and do you play them both about the same amount, or are you leaning towards rock or metal.

(i'm still sort of thinking classic 30)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i am in a band and play mainly rock. but me and my fridnds jam around and when we jam we play metal to hard core.
yeah the blues junior would really be struggling in a high gain, band situation.

have you tried any amps?
classic 30,
laney,
traynor, (used)

wow, and there's craigslist.
around here there are always peaveys, marshall tube combos.

let me look around GC a sec get some models, sorry i'm still waking up here.

edit: sorry, my computer is just no help this morning.
off the top of my head a valveking, used marshall tube amps, maybe a windsor head for about $400 and a used 2x12 cab. you can also look randall amps (usually known for higher gain)

there are always better deals used, because $500 is just at the edge of a great band amp.
so in this price range i love used, because it moves you up from pretty good to great steal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 2, 2008,
I really like the Blues Junior for the money. It's not really a metal amp but it's pretty versitile.

For Metal I would reccomend the Marshall MG
Quote by SenorSmiley
I really like the Blues Junior for the money. It's not really a metal amp but it's pretty versitile.

For Metal I would reccomend the Marshall MG

If we're talking solid state I'd recommend over the MG (which no one seems to like, myself included...) a Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix. More versatile, better quality, better everything.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
If we're talking solid state I'd recommend over the MG (which no one seems to like, myself included...) a Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix. More versatile, better quality, better everything.

I'm 99% sure he was joking about the MG, TS said he has about $500 so he won't be looking for a SS.

And the original amp isn't suited for your style really, I would just go to a local store and try some things out.
I have a blues jr I got for $300 and I really like it, but I definitely wouldnt try to play metal through it. It has a great clean sound, but the built in gain is average. I think it sounds better just to leave the amp settings on clean and use a good OD pedal. This also gives you the advantage of switching between clean and OD quickly. Check out the peavey classic 30 like everyone is suggesting. They can be had used for about the same price, maybe a little more.
Yeah, for cleans the MG is not good but for GNR type sounds it comes really close for the $.

The Blues Junior is a great amp. It has a nice clean sound and as someone said, with an OD pedal you can get some decent metal sounds.
The most complained about feature on the MGs is the more "gainy" sounds from it (and yes I have owned one ), the "OD" channel on them is dismal, the cleans are passable, if you want a heavier sound from an MG you'd be best using an outside unit (when I owned mine I used a Marshall Bluesbreaker OD pedal which made it passable).

Though for Valve at that price I'd suggest saving up a bit more (I'm not 100% sure on some of the pricings in the US) for a Marshall DSL401 (if you want marshall) or something like an Orange Tiny Terror, though the Orange will have a less modern tone.
I like the Blues Junior over the MG just because I hardly ever use gain and the MG isn't really a good clean amp.

Like I said, clips speak louder then posts and I have a laughable GNR style cover of the MG on my profile.
That's a surprisingly nice tone for an MG, but the thing is, an MG is an odd suggestion when the amp in question is a mid-range amp and not a beginner amp.
The MG is a Marshall and everyone knows Marshall is an iconic sound and look.

I know everyone gets all mad about the MG when I say it's good but I use it in my studio all the time and it sounds pretty much like a Marshall (well, a modern Marshall) should.

Again, you can jump on a bandwagon and bash or you can listen and see if it sounds cool.

I have a feeling that a lot of the people that buy an MG have no clue as to how to get a good tone out of an amplifier. I know I have to set my Fender amp different then my other brands, so I think sometimes someone may not like X because they are using the settings for Y.

The proof is in the clips. Like it or hate it is cool, but that's what it sounds like.
I'm not bandwagonning, the MG doesn't suit how I want to sound, which is actually very different from Marshalls altoghether, but the MG won't get sounds similar to the old 18 watters unfortunately.
And I did do as much as I could to get a good tone out of the MG it just did nothing for me at all.
Ninja,

You don't like the MG.

Fair enough.

My post was for people that have not heard it and would like to hear what it sounds like.

I like the MG and have posted a clip of what it sounds like. If the someone likes the sound of the clip they will probably like the MG. If they think it sounds bad they won't.

That's all I'm saying.

It won't sound like the old 18 watt model because:

1- The 18 Watt model is a newer amp modeled after an older amp
2- As I said, the MG sounds more like a modern (JCM series) Marshall

People with an open mind should take a listen.

If you have an old 18 watt Marshall you should hook up with that guy who has the first 59 Les Paul Standard with the Ebony fretboard that posted a few days ago.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Oct 2, 2008,
Blues Junior is really nice
Peavey Classic 30 is nice too

There would be no "wrong" choice, but I would choose the Fender.

The Marshall MG sounds like the clip, take what you will from that. It works for me.
redsox, did you look at craigs list?

would you be willing to go used?

if not 15W tube is really pushing it for high gain band situation. ESpecially if you're talking about a blues jr. it's just not suited towards that style.

give me some idea what you're looking at, and i'll tell you my opinion on it, if i've used or owned it.

of the amps mentioned in this price range, and seeing as how you already had a SS and were looking tube, i'd stll have to suggest you try a classic 30.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Personally, I don't think the MG nor the BJ are the right amps for you. IMO, like jj1565 said, craigslist.com is a great way to find excellent amps at an affordable price and you can try before you buy.

I don't know if you live in the Boston area or not but here are some examples of what I found in Boston. There was more, this is just what jumped out at me off the first page or two.

Randall RG50TC combo $400 - perfect!
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/862042829.html

Marshall JCM900 head - would still need a cab and is over budget at $600.
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/msg/863557227.html

Traynor 20WR tube combo $320
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/861671905.html

Marshall JCM2000 DSL combo $550
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/859695999.html

If you want to go crazy I also see a Splawn Competition for $1100

I didn't see any Classic 30's but there was a Classic 50 for like $600.
If you are in Boston go down to Cambridge Music and see Dr. Fred Ham. He will hook you up.

Daddy's on Mass Ave has lots of MGs so start your shopping there. They also have Peavey
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
well the yanks did not make the wild card so i am happy. but i live in virginia. all i want to spend is 500 what should i get then. i play metal. and like rock.

hey guys, great finds, but he told me earlier he lives in virginia, and that he really loves the yanks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The Blues Junior has a really good clean sound. A student of mine has one as well as the guy who cuts my hair.

They sound really good. I would think with the right pedal it would sound fine for metal and is more versitile then the MG but for GNR type stuff the MG is spot on.
nope for several reasons.

the stock speaker cant handle it,
it's one channel no standby and pushed to it's limits in a band situation.
guitars or drums yeah i guess, after the $200 added for speaker and pedal.
but full band and high gain is not what this amp was made for.

and for like the third time, the guy doesnt want an mg. i think he said he has one.

i have no idea why a person would suggest an amp like an mg when their quality is so poor.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 2, 2008,
i'm not a fan of mgs. i had an avt (which sounds better than the mgs) and i couldn't wait to get rid of it... that clip's not bad as far as mgs go, but it still sounds a bit sterile, solid state, or something like that to my ears... hard to tell from clips of course.

problem is the budget... you can get an amp which'll do the blues and rock decently at $500, or one which will do metal reasonably well, the problem is one which'll do both... there's going to be some compromise, really depends if you're more willing to compromise on the more classic tones or the metal tones...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Valveking with a Bad Monkey OD would be $450 new and so some metal as well as the other stuff. It's not great in any one area it's just budget tube amp.

Either way, I think $500 second hand will go a lot further than $500 new.

Also, sorry TS that I missed the Virginia part but you get the idea. I also agree that the MG is not for my taste. I've played two of them now and I can't see it doing GnR at all. Plus, as JJ said - I think he already has one.
at senor dude u really have to be kidding me. u are a great poser. u think marshalls are amazing and only vintage guitars sound good get a life and stop just parroting what u heard fanboys talk about
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
at senor dude u really have to be kidding me. u are a great poser. u think marshalls are amazing and only vintage guitars sound good get a life and stop just parroting what u heard fanboys talk about

?

I actually don't even have many "vintage" guitars. Most of my stuff is fairly new.

I do think some Marshalls are pretty amazing. A friend of mine has an old JTM-45 and a SuperBass and they are pretty awesome.

I think the MG is a good amp for the money and would offer someone check it out.

If I were parroting "fanboys" I would be anti-MG, anti-Gibson, etc...

What kind of amp do you play?