Page 1 of 2
I fingerpicked for a few years before using plectrums at the start of last year. Started soloing since then.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I've been going at it solo since forever, but duets are much more fun.
haha lil waynes solos are uber shred

anyways

TS i started about a year after...i delicately worked on one "major" song while tinkering with others...and i saved the solo for last

just break it up into little pieces

and depending on what music you listen to might very the length you need before soloing
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
Since I started playing.

Like everything else, I started with simple stuff - think Nirvana, and I'm still progressing.

Having said that, I'm still improving my rhythm technique, stamina and control predominantly
Quote by sglover34479
I mean when did you play guitar solos. not play by yourself.
Who was talking about guitar?
5 months into it, but I sacrificed one year of school for my playing, I think it was Bohemian Rhapsody.

Quote by sglover34479
I mean when did you play guitar solos. not play by yourself.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
"Son, always carry a medical glove in your pocket in case you wind up in a bathroom that has no toilet paper, and you get constipated."
Quote by saphrax
Since I started playing.

Like everything else, I started with simple stuff - think Nirvana, and I'm still progressing.

Having said that, I'm still improving my rhythm technique, stamina and control predominantly

I can play nirvana solos but what I have trouble with are faster bits like in the solo of Paranoid by Sabbath. I can play the first part of it but then I just can't play fast enough.
Quote by metaldud536
I could plAY Throughthe fore and the flames after 3 ,unths of playing!!1!

including teh sol0s
On expert?
There's no specific line, you don't suddenly one day go 'bam!' and be able to solo. I still can't solo, I'm forever condemned to improvising terrible blues solos.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
my first solo was the first solo from master of puppets, and that was about a month into playing guitar. it sucked but it actually sounded really good after about another month and it really helped me get better.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
It all depends on what kind of guitar you like to play, and what you want to sound like. I started off learning solo stuff right along with chords and rhythm.

If you like lead, then learn to play some. Of course learn your scales, then your modes. and work from there.

Practice with a metronome to help develop your timing skills, and always try to play as cleanly as you can.

Some suggestions for solos to learn could be perhaps some simple Pink Floyd solos, or really any song that has a solo that you like.

If you practice with a metronome, nothing will be out of your reach as you can learn to play at a speed you are comfortable with and then move it up as you progress.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
I learned to solo in my first year, tackling Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills.

Damn hard at the time.
hue
The intro solo to Sanitarium by Metallica. Do it, NAO!
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by smb
On expert?

WIN!
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
my fellings on this thread:

&
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

well, im not good enough to do my own solos at the mo.

but after about a yr of playing, the first solo i most likely learnt was that to Holiday by Green Day, considering it was the first song i learnt. if you want to learn a solo, learn that one, its easy and not too fast.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister

but after about a yr of playing, the first solo i most likely learnt was that to Holiday by Green Day, considering it was the first song i learnt. if you want to learn a solo, learn that one, its easy and not too fast.

Get

The

F0ck

OUT!!! NAO!
Since the dawn of time...
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
i learnt everytime i die solo by childeren of bodom after 4months of playing

i ahve no life
Learn november rain, if you can bend well, if you can't, GET SCHOOLED.

I couldn't solo for forever. Well, I could have but, I didn't cause I got too frusterated.

As one of the great guitarists of UG have said ( forget his name =P) :

"The first thing you hear when playing guitar is 'practice slowly' and after about a year of mediocre playing you think 'hmmm, maybe I should practice slowly?'"

that is when you learn to kick ass, until then, you lick it.

Basically, thats how it goes.
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
Quote by thedudemeister

YU FAIL.

I also doubt frenchy sent you that heart.
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
I hope people in here realise that there isn't just one 'oh' moment when you suddenly realise how to solo. Most guitarists I know (especially the good ones) are still learning "to solo".
Umm, fairly recently, like 1 year of playing.. I can only play my own solo's though, I fail at learning solos.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Page 1 of 2