hey guys, dunno if this is a completely noobish question but here goes:

I have a peavey valveking 112, which has a pretty nice tone on it. it has an external speaker input on the back, does this mean i can treat it as an amp head? I have my eye on a valveking 412 cab, meant for the valveking head, but i want to know if this is possible to do. and if so, will it make it much louder, as my 112 isnt loud enough at gigs and rehearsals?

thanks a lot

Stud

xxx
Quote by Stud_Muffin
hey guys, dunno if this is a completely noobish question but here goes:

I have a peavey valveking 112, which has a pretty nice tone on it. it has an external speaker input on the back, does this mean i can treat it as an amp head? I have my eye on a valveking 412 cab, meant for the valveking head, but i want to know if this is possible to do. and if so, will it make it much louder, as my 112 isnt loud enough at gigs and rehearsals?

thanks a lot

Stud

xxx

50W isn't loud enough even at rehearsals? Really?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
yeah, my guitarist insists on cranking his 120 watt amp to 8. he won't play otherwise. but is my question even possible?
uh yea, my randall never had to be fully cranked to get over the drums. 50 watts should be enough.

with more speakers you'll push more air, and it'll sound a bit louder yea. but you'd be happier getting an avatar cab rather than a valveking one, that way later on you can use a different amp head with it and still have a really nice cab for low cost. i imagine the VK cab is alright, but nothing special.

slash_edit: just read your last post

there's no reason he should be so f*cking dense that he has to play at stupid volumes, tell him to get off his high horse and be reasonable. and with both your amps cranked at full, i'm pretty sure a 50 watt tube amp will sound louder than a 120 watt SS amp. it should be able to rival a 150 watt SS amp pretty well actually.

so yea....tell him to turn his effin' volume down. it wont make his penis bigger playing that loud just for the sake of being loud. you're actually considering getting an extension cab primarily b/c your bud won't play and lower than ear-splitting volume, you shouldn't have to compromise just b/c he doesn't know how to use his volume knob.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by Stud_Muffin
yeah, my guitarist insists on cranking his 120 watt amp to 8. he won't play otherwise. but is my question even possible?

Hit him in the nuts with your guitar's headstock and tell him to quit being an idiot.

Quote by slash_rocks2005
uh yea, my randall never had to be fully cranked to get over the drums. 50 watts should be enough.

with more speakers you'll push more air, and it'll sound a bit louder yea. but you'd be happier getting an avatar cab rather than a valveking one, that way later on you can use a different amp head with it and still have a really nice cab for low cost. i imagine the VK cab is alright, but nothing special.

+1, Avatar is probably going to be your best bet for cabs.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
ok, i was just curious. plus i think another main reason behind why i can't be heard at practices is that im not cutting through enough. the other guitarist uses a high treble-y tone with tons of reverb, is this why? plus my bassist is getting a 250 watt head and two 400 watt cabs, so i think i need to up my volume.
Try boosting the shit out of your mids. That will help you cut through really well.

You could also invest in a new speaker (I mean like a speaker cone) for your amp, perhaps an Eminence Red Coat series...
Quote by Stud_Muffin

then let him not play.

gettint the levels right is important. and unless you have one hell of a hard hitting drummer and are playing to 2000 people in an outdoor venue, he doesn't need to turn his amp that loud.

you'll all end up deaf if you're practicing at that volume in a small room. even WITH ear protection.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Try boosting the shit out of your mids. That will help you cut through really well.

You could also invest in a new speaker (I mean like a speaker cone) for your amp, perhaps an Eminence Red Coat series...

Damn you HWY!!!! Beat me to that one. Good call. +1 to all of his post.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
bro, it sounds like your band mates are a little over-compensative. DON'T decide to up all your volume just b/c they have gear that's capable of deafening babies from a mile away.

this is why their amps (as well as yours obviously) have VOLUME KNOBS. it's fine and dandy if they want to crank theirs when they happen to play an outside venue or something and don't want to use the PA for some reason, but YOU don't have to abandon logic and sense along with them. AT THE MOST, i'd say get a 2x12 cab from avatar.

and yes, boosting your mids will help you cut through. in fact, you should be heard better than your other guitarist if his highs are so shrill. and the insane reverb might be contributing as well, but i don't know for sure. really he needs to just cut his volume down.

i understand COMPLETELY why you'd want to up your volume along with them, but you shouldn't get carried away. the more stuff you have to carry, the more of a burden it'll end up being. they'll get tired of carrying all their shit around and be jealous that you can carry your whole amp in one trip. think of all the space your saving, as well as physical stress. and why the heck is your bassist wanting two cabs? i mean bass should be able to be heard but DAMN, is he trying to be the star or somethin? maybe you and your drummer should just quit and start a new band, be like the white stripes or something....at least you'll never argue about who's too loud...

really, you need to call a band meeting and discuss with them that if THEY want to have this insanely loud gear, that's great, but when it comes to the BAND, yall need to be fair and compromise. just don't feel left out b/c you're not using a half stack.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out