Im going to upgrade soon from my roland micro cube to a full tube amp,
I mostly play metal (bfmv, trivium, lamb of god, in flames , killswitch engage and so on)
I dont care so much about cleans, just happens sometimes that i play some clean stuff
i will use the amp for home practice , jamming with friends and may join a band in the future. I can't get a head because i cant afford a cab+ head, so it has to be a combo

So, got any suggestions? i've looked abit at the randall rg50tc, it seems like a good amp?

my guitar is an ibanez rgr321

edit: i am able to buy used but its pretty hard to find good used amps here in stockholm, i miscalculated to dollars, my budget is around 800$
Last edited by sythes123 at Oct 2, 2008,
^no offense tube amp guy, but judging from the model name of that traynor, it seems to be 100 watts and a head unit....

he said he doesn't want a stack which is smart on his part, b/c he's using logic. also, 100 watts is overkill twice over for bedroom practice. he should be getting a 50 watt tube amp AT MOST. mine could never be turned up past like 2 w/o getting loud for in-house, and at the same time it was perfect for jamming and band.

TS, definitely look into the 5150 and 6550, obviously used.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Valveking 212 with a nice pedal

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^no offense tube amp guy, but judging from the model name of that traynor, it seems to be 100 watts and a head unit....

he said he doesn't want a stack which is smart on his part, b/c he's using logic. also, 100 watts is overkill twice over for bedroom practice. he should be getting a 50 watt tube amp AT MOST. mine could never be turned up past like 2 w/o getting loud for in-house, and at the same time it was perfect for jamming and band.

TS, definitely look into the 5150 and 6550, obviously used.

Oops.. I skimmed too quickly it seems. I believe the head can be had for about 650 used but yeah 100 watts is quite a bit but hard to find metal amps with less than that.
well, TS, i'll say this: if you spend most your time jamming or doing gigs, then get 100 tube watts. if you spend most the time practicing in the bedroom and jam/gig when you get the chance (like i do), then DON'T go over 50 watts tube. otherwise you'll never turn it past 1 on the volume. but hey, what do i know?!

slash_edit: is it really hard to find metal amps w/ less than 100 watts? there should be a good number of them out there. now if you're thinking along the lines of 5150/6550s and Bugera versions, then yes those are all like 120/60 watt amps. but like he already mentioned, an RG50 could be a suitable choice.

anyway, once the TS decides what he'll be using it for most, he'll know whether or not to go with that high of wattage.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Oct 2, 2008,
I would buy used, and you have a ton of options - if it were me, I would go used and get a Mesa Rectoverb or Tremoverb combo, which I've seen going used for 900-1000 quite often, a 5150 2x12 combo as previously mentioned, which I just saw one today on craigslist for 600 locally, a Marshall TSL 602 2x12, if I remember the model # right, which I also see go for around 700-800 when they pop-up. I would NOT buy new, it's not worth the extra 30-40% you'll pay... plus, if you get one of these "name-brand" amps, and you keep it clean, you can usually resell it for around the same price later if you want something else (in my experience).
Well, anything over 60 watt will definitely be to much for me because as i said i will mostly use it for bedroom practice and jamming with friends, im going to try the rg50tc in a few days
TS, be sure to try it for a good amount of time. try it w/o any pedal at all, then after you know what the gain is like and the cleans are like, put an overdrive pedal on top of the gain and see how it sounds being pushed. should be farely nice
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
5150/6505 + speaker switch (V30 or greenbacks). You wont find any better under 1000$ for metal.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by sythes123
Well, anything over 60 watt will definitely be to much for me because as i said i will mostly use it for bedroom practice and jamming with friends, im going to try the rg50tc in a few days

just remember that the difference in volume between a 50W tube amp and a 100w tube amp is only around 3db. You aren't going to notice that. That said, there are lower watt traynors (YCS50, YCV50) that will do what you need.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by sythes123

The 5150 combo I mentioned is 60 watts...

And a 100 watt amp is only 3 db louder then a 50 watt amp, so regardless anything tube is usually to loud for a bedroom. Which is why god gave us volume knobs . Also when playing metal your gonna want less power tube saturation and more preamp saturation so a good master volume amp will be able to acheive decent metal tones at bedroom levels.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Oct 2, 2008,
It's not a combo, but still might be worth it: I just got a used Carvin x100b head for $300; apart from being a great sounding all-tube head (34's, which sound nicely similar to my hiwatt when dialed in right), it has switchable wattage - 25, 50, or 100. So, if you could get one for what I paid, that would leave you $500 for a cab...and for my money, there's not a combo on earth that can touch a well-chosen head/cab for tone.
^ i'll look if i can find a used one

What is your opinions on the randall rg50tc? it seems like it has got mixed reviews, some say its muddy and so on,
Guitar: Ibanez RGR321 EXBK

Amp: Bugera 6260 head + 4x12 cab
Quote by th3yn3v3rsl33p
It's not a combo, but still might be worth it: I just got a used Carvin x100b head for $300; apart from being a great sounding all-tube head (34's, which sound nicely similar to my hiwatt when dialed in right), it has switchable wattage - 25, 50, or 100. So, if you could get one for what I paid, that would leave you $500 for a cab...and for my money, there's not a combo on earth that can touch a well-chosen head/cab for tone.

i couldn't disagree more. seriously. there are tons of amps out there that are heads based on combos or vice versa. there are also tons of combos that are better than most heads.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Tyler Durden
Valveking 212 with a nice pedal

You can do much better than a VK with a budget of $1000.

TS: Its kinda hard to pick something that will cover all of those bands because they all use different amps (Peaveys, Mesas, Marshalls, Hughes and Kettners).

If you can check out a Mesa Mark IV - great for metal and very versatile, but you may have a little difficulty pulling off the British tone that some of those bands have.
Marshall DSL401. It's a great amp for the price, although a speaker swap wouldn't kill as at high volumes I find my DSL's speaker to be insufficient. However, it does modern metal tones very well. I know that Trivium used DSL heads on Ascendency and Ember I think.
Quote by AdamDK
Marshall DSL401. It's a great amp for the price, although a speaker swap wouldn't kill as at high volumes I find my DSL's speaker to be insufficient. However, it does modern metal tones very well. I know that Trivium used DSL heads on Ascendency and Ember I think.

no... The DSL combo sounds nothing like the head version from my experiences. Low, crappy, fizzy gain. It sounds terrible, especially for metal. But the JCM 2000 DSL head would be good for it

but as said before, Peavey 5150/6505 212 Combo or Peavey XXX Combo.

I'd sell you my 5150 212 Combo, but I know shipping would be outrageous seeing how you live in Europe
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by i_am_metalhead

If you can check out a Mesa Mark IV - great for metal and very versatile, but you may have a little difficulty pulling off the British tone that some of those bands have.

Not to go off topic, but which ones of the bands he listed would have a British tone?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ