I play electric guitar in a church praise & worship band, and most of the time the music is contemporary Christian rock type songs. But occasionally we play an old church hymn or something and I really don't know what to do to play rhythm to it.

Should I just strum an alternating bass strum or some other vanilla strumming pattern or something? Thanks
Try to find the key and build from there. I've done it before, but I just used my ear. It may just take you a while to mess around with it until it sounds good.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Well you should really make the descision on a case-by-case basis, make the way you play suit the song. You may find that a constant rhythm may be the best thing or it may turn out that just arpeggiating the chord on the first beat of the change is the best way to play it.

Appropriate is the key word.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks. I always know the keys and songs ... just not sure what to play. For some of them there doesn't seem to be any place for an electric guitar, so I just strum some type of vanilla strumming pattern to match the beat like if I were playing an acoustic guitar. Maybe that's all there is to do in some of those old songs.
It's tough, sorry I couldn't help more.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Turn to your dirty channel, jump onto the altar, knock some candles over to set the place on fire, and start playing Highway To Hell or Number Of The Beast.

My friend suggested I do that for the Graduation Mass on the last day of school (religious school) but I didn't feel like it. ^_^ For that particular occasion, I used an acoustic simulator.

My advice would be to play as though you're on an acoustic. Constant, rhythmic chords, or maybe some arpeggios?
Quote by hunter33
Thanks. I always know the keys and songs ... just not sure what to play. For some of them there doesn't seem to be any place for an electric guitar, so I just strum some type of vanilla strumming pattern to match the beat like if I were playing an acoustic guitar. Maybe that's all there is to do in some of those old songs.

If that's all it sounds like there's room for then that's what you should do. Normally I'm a completely self-indulgent player but I reckon if I was in church even I might tone it down a bit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.