I was bored the other day, and I realised I never composed in Locrian, so I wanted to give it a shot (I think it is Locrian though)...

I like it, although the lead is boring at times (I may expand it later, and add some piano perhaps).
Had to go with a I chord vamp, nothing else to do really (or it would be very hard, at least for me and my noobness with chord progressions).
I wanted it to end nicely, so I made some chromatic progression there in the end (sounds kind of cool) and changed it to G major (don't ask me how to play those last bars, I can only doing using my thumb, and it hurts a lot)..

Anyways, this is my first time writing this kind of music, so I made it short.
Enjoy it (if you can )
Attachments:
Short diminished song.zip
Beautiful

Yeah, it was nice, in a diminished kind of way.

but you should use the diminished 7th chord instead of just diminished triads

It's made of:

Root, Flat 3rd, Flat 5th, Double flat 7th :O

so, all minor 3rds apart from each other

which in F# would be F#, A, C, Eb

I love it :P
wat.
Thanks

But I guess if I use a fully diminished chord, then it stops being Locrian, or can it be used as an accidental and it still being considered Locrian?

EDIT:So in F# a dim7 would be

E-2
B-4
G-2
D-4
A-3
E-2

Right?
Last edited by gonzaw at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by gonzaw
Thanks

But I guess if I use a fully diminished chord, then it stops being Locrian, or can it be used as an accidental and it still being considered Locrian?

EDIT:So in F# a dim7 would be

E-2
B-4
G-2
D-4
A-3
E-2

Right?

Yeah, that's right

And yeah, it is used a lot in locrian even though it doesnt appear in the normal diatonic scales.
wat.
to tell the truth, the distorted lead over the acoustic rhythm sounded very bad.
I liked it better w/o lead altogether. it works as another acoustic though.

and why did you resolve to a G? I thought it sounded better to drop that last bass note to an F# and keep that tense locrian sound. just my thought though.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I'm just saying the distortion over acoustic sounded really bad to my ears.

it sounded fine when the lead was also an acoustic guitar though.

Quote by Its_Rock77
to tell the truth, the distorted lead over the acoustic rhythm sounded very bad.
I liked it better w/o lead altogether. it works as another acoustic though.

and why did you resolve to a G? I thought it sounded better to drop that last bass note to an F# and keep that tense locrian sound. just my thought though.

You cant end a song on a diminished chord that would be the most imperfect cadence EVER VII VII VII VII VII..

It needs to resolve to something, i thought the G went quite well
wat.
I didn't really like the lead. Like, it's interesting around bar 9, but, everything before that and after bar 14 sounded really...boring, and dull to me. Maybe it's just me and the music I listen to, but, yeah. The acoustic track was great though!
Quote by SsPunk
You cant end a song on a diminished chord that would be the most imperfect cadence EVER VII VII VII VII VII..

It needs to resolve to something, i thought the G went quite well

who cares about theory? (I use that statement loosely now, don't attack me. ) I mean that when it comes down to it, what is "theororetically correct" is irrelevant.

I tried it and it sounded better. and that's my opinion.

Edit: I would also like to add that I didn't mean end on a diminished chord. I meant end on an F#.

Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by Its_Rock77
who cares about theory? (I use that statement loosely now, don't attack me. ) I mean that when it comes down to it, what is "theororetically correct" is irrelevant.

I tried it and it sounded better. and that's my opinion.

Edit: I would also like to add that I didn't mean end on a diminished chord. I meant end on an F#.

It's not whats theoretically correct lol, don't get scared off by me using roman numerals to number the chords :P

It just sounds better IMO - more resolved, more finished
wat.
I just skimmed your post. didn't even notice you just wrote VII over and over again.

I meant how resolving to the I is "theoretically correct"

Quote by Its_Rock77
I just skimmed your post. didn't even notice you just wrote VII over and over again.

I meant how resolving to the I is "theoretically correct"

Well, that's just how our system works. It's the same as writing a whole story in only one paragraph, if it fits it's alright, but most people won't take chances unless they are totally sure of it...

In these kind of cases, instead of resolving the piece, I think it would be better to have it fade out, it solves the whole cadence dilemma...
Holy tension Batman!

You've clearly demonstrated why I hate Locrian. I could actually feel the muscles in my back start to tense up.

On the other hand, this was a very cool idea, and the whole piece is rather distinctive. There are a lot of things you could probably experiment with.

A lot of rhythmic things you could try too. I'd definitely work on that progression a bit.
I think you can replace your F#dim chord with a m7b5 so you could try something like F#m7b5, Bm7, Em.

I would fool around with some slash chords as well. C/F# Em/F# Bm/F# whatever, as I understand it as long as you've got that F# in the bass you're basically implying Locrian.

As for the resolution at the end of the song, I think it happens a little too quickly, you need some other chords in there to bridge the gap to G (I think Em might actually be a better choice, but G does work too). Something like C E Em6add9, G or yeah, whatever

The solo guitar is decent, I do suggest you strive for a bit more of a melodic approach in some parts. Although, I must say the licks in bars 13-17 were really really cool.

Are you planning on adding to this one? I'd be interested to see how it ends up panning out.