so ive had many different nuts, strings and bridges on my bass and im having the same problem, my E string sounds much deeper than my other 3

--0-0-0-0-0-
-5--5--5--5-

when doin this, they sound the same (my bass is in tune ) but my E sounds far deeper, much less bright and punchy than G-A, any advice?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
This natural. Thicker strings have a more emphasised fundamental, and therefore a deeper tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by watchingmefall
What kind of bass do you have?
What amp are you using?
What EQ?

squier vintage mod P bass, but the problem occurs unamped also

Quote by Miss G
Adjust your pickup height? Try different strings?

as i said, problem is unamped too, i have tried various strings and gauges to relieve problem with no luck
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
squier vintage mod P bass, but the problem occurs unamped also

as i said, problem is unamped too, i have tried various strings and gauges to relieve problem with no luck

Lower the action on the E string to give it a little buzz on the frets. Otherwise muck around with your EQ, Although it may happen unamplified, An amp can usually cancel sound problems out.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Quote by Asomodai
Lower the action on the E string to give it a little buzz on the frets. Otherwise muck around with your EQ, Although it may happen unamplified, An amp can usually cancel sound problems out.

The trouble in this case is that the amp will struggle to help, as he is getting the same frequencies on each string, just different proportions of the harmonics. Boosting bass will boost bass for the E string as well as A-G.

Pickup adjustment(lowering the neck pickup bass side) may help a bit.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Are all these strings the same age and the same make/material?

That could have a large impact you know.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Get a compressor for when you're playing through an amp.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
This is inevitable and one of the great things about bass playing. You can change the tone of a note simply by playing it on a different string.
Quote by food1010
This is inevitable and one of the great things about bass playing. You can change the tone of a note simply by playing it on a different string.

This.

It's called dynamics, not enough musicians really know about it today.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Indeed. A lot of people simply seem to think "I'm playing the right notes. What more can I do?".
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's actually called timbre...

He speaks the truth. Dynamics is volume, timbre is tone.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ok. ive never had this with any other bass and whenever i try to play a song with E string it sounds horribly wrong
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

Haha, I guess you're right. Timbre and dynamics tend to go together and I guess I got them a little confused. Seems like I proved my own point.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by Miss G
what brand of strings have you been using?

well it came with fenders, shortly replaced by rotosounds, now with a few day old set of elites. it very noticable on songs which move between A and E alot, notably "Emma"
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
well it came with fenders, shortly replaced by rotosounds, now with a few day old set of elites. it very noticable on songs which move between A and E alot, notably "Emma"

If the E is proportionally a lot thicker than the other strings, that would be the problem. Dig up your old math skills and find out how much bigger the E is in comparison with the other strings. No setup, nor EQ, nor anything will fix this other than getting different strings, or learning how to cope.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by gm jack
This natural. Thicker strings have a more emphasised fundamental, and therefore a deeper tone.

This man speaks the truth.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by t3hrav3n
If the E is proportionally a lot thicker than the other strings, that would be the problem. Dig up your old math skills and find out how much bigger the E is in comparison with the other strings. No setup, nor EQ, nor anything will fix this other than getting different strings, or learning how to cope.

Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Hmm...odd. I really don't know what to say, other than learn to play softer on the E string.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by t3hrav3n
Hmm...odd. I really don't know what to say, other than learn to play softer on the E string.

tis a conundrum indeed! god knows what the problem is
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

either way, I use it a little much. I always am playing up near the nut because it sounds clearer.

and to try to be on topic for once, you can certainly buy single strings. get a .95 if you find a good store that'll sell them.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Oct 3, 2008,
It's also possible that your attacking the E differently because it's the first string. A smoother attack makes for less... uh, attack.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
It's also possible that your attacking the E differently because it's the first string. A smoother attack makes for less... uh, attack.

this is true. I tend to be more aggressive at my E string, but I haven't considered we may be different...lol.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It's definitely possible that you're attacking the E different. You're probably following through your other strings naturally, but when there's no way to really follow through, maybe your technique is becoming inconsistent. Try examining it closely and see what happens.

The other thing I think it might be is EQ. Do you have a really low EQ setting like a 30Hz or a 40Hz? If that's the case and you're boosting it, it might make your E sound very different because that's where all the frequencies are, but your A-G strings wouldn't have as many overtones affected by it. That's a total theory though.