I just started playing like 3 weeks ago--I have an acoustic. okay, so I know how to hold a pick, but I usually hold it too loosely so that it slips out when I'm strumming--but I feel that if I hold it tighter I'm going to damage my strings? suggestions?
You won't damage them
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
With practice you learn to keep the pick shallow (i.e. not a lot of the pick hits the strings) even when you hold a heavy pick tight, so just keep practicing.

And strings are like $5/pack, maybe $10. If you break one, it's not really a big deal.
You might want to try laying the pick on the lowest part of your index finger, then put your thumb right on top of it in the opposite direction so that your thumb is against the side of your index finger with the pick clamped in between. Don't hold it too fimly, just go with the flow you know; you'll feel what's right
(If this doesn't help)
DOOAAH!!! YOUTUBE?? :P
Yeah i agree ... angle the pick.. so you don't hit the strings so hard... then hold the pick pretty tight, and then... most importently.. loosen up your hand / arm.. so you don't build up tension.. if you know what i mean?
Quote by claudekennilol
I just started playing like 3 weeks ago--I have an acoustic. okay, so I know how to hold a pick, but I usually hold it too loosely so that it slips out when I'm strumming--but I feel that if I hold it tighter I'm going to damage my strings? suggestions?
experiment with the way you hold the pick between your forefinger and thumb. it works best for me if i have the tip of my forefinger curled around so it points back at the base of my thumb. the tip of the pick points out at a right angle from the side of my thumb. i only expose about 1/4" of the pick.

this limits the depth the pick can penetrate the plane of the strings.
also, i squeeze very tightly between my thumb and forefinger.
BUT, i've trained my muscles to allow flexibility of the thumb and forefinger while maintaining the grip on the strings.

changing the angle that the pick attacks the strings is a matter of coordinating the movement of your wrist with the movement of your thumb and forefinger.

also, learn to attack the strings while keeping your hand "supple" enough that the pick can float over the strings rather than getting "caught" in them.

with a little practice and experimentation, you'll learn to master the interplay of your hand/wrist/fingers/pick with the strings. with only slight changes in your movements you'll be able to palm-mute, dig-in and use the edge of your thumb to produce harmonics, and change the timbre of the sound by the place on the strings you pick and the pick's angle.

and I recommend a HEAVY pick. the flex should be in your fingers, where you can control it, not in the pick where you can't.

btw, I haven't broken a string in years.

good luck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.