i heard that after tom of slayer lost his voice a bit the guitars had to drop their tuning a bit so things still sounded good.
my question is, if a band has guitars that are not standard tuning and uses tuning like drop c does the drummer have to 'detune' his drums as well? like make them into a deeper sound. or have i misunderstood.

if the drummer should detune what is the best method of doing this, and how will we know when he is at the correct pitch?
Tuning is important in drums but only really for the type of sound e.g. boomy, tight etc.

Drum tuning isn't really tht important and no he want have to detune them.
No don't bother..I mean..low tuned drums are ideal for metal type music because that tuning is deeper and more powerful..but other than that it's not that important to the sound
If you're just playing on a kit, don't worry about it. Some specific types of drums (tympanies, congas, rototoms, etc) are usually tuned to a specific concert pitch, but unless you're Terry Bozzio, there is no need to tune your drums like that. On the other hand, you may want to tune your toms so that they are in tune with each other (as in, low tom C, mid rack E, high rack G), but only really anal drummers tend to do this.

In general, unless you want to get really deep into it (they say the only harder instruments to tune than drums are piano and harp), tune your toms so that the drum "speaks" when hit by itself. Most toms have 2-4 ideal pitches (experiment with both heads, not just the top). Snare tuning is usually down to personal preference, but as far as the bass drum goes, I think alot of drummers tune theirs too low in an attempt to get a deeper sound. Your bass drum will actually thump and bump more if you crank down those heads a little bit, dig?

Does that answer your question?
Quote by indigoflow
Tuning is important in drums but only really for the type of sound e.g. boomy, tight etc.

Drum tuning isn't really tht important and no he want have to detune them.

I agree with your first statement. I couldn't disagree more with your second statement. Drum tuning is HUGELY important, although I doubt that anyone but a serious drummer would recognize that. You could take one kit, and make it sound "metal" or "country" or "reggae" or "funky" or whatever just based on how you tune it (and how you play it, of course).
Quote by Philbigtime
I agree with your first statement. I couldn't disagree more with your second statement. Drum tuning is HUGELY important, although I doubt that anyone but a serious drummer would recognize that. You could take one kit, and make it sound "metal" or "country" or "reggae" or "funky" or whatever just based on how you tune it (and how you play it, of course).

very true.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.