Personally it helps me loads, i get work done quite a bit faster, my english class forced our teacher to let us listen to our MP3's while doing timed essays.

My parents on the other hand dont let me, they think it distracts me

So who here finds it useful, and what sort of music's most effective? I know the usual answers classical or baroque, but say if you think anythings better. Pretty much anything works for me.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Our English teacher lets us listen to music when we do essays in class as it's the only way people shut up and concentrate. She always says don't have it loud enough to hear, but she never says anything to most people except the charvs or people who listen to dance music, hip hop and RnB. I had Seek And Destroy blasting last essay lesson and she didn't say anything, although the people around me weren't too happy as they could slightly hear it over there music, so I turned it down after a while.
Rockabilly...or Trash Metal.

I must be getting to a Pavlovian stage now because I can't work at all without music.
Quote by LgLagro
You, you bring us both corm, and two hot russian gymnasts pretty much making out, you are a legend.

Limping Head Journalist and Proprietor of PitTown Cricket Club.

Keeping quiet about scandals since 2008.
I find thrash is really good to help with creative writing.

Just don't write anything resembling Lord of the Rings. You WILL have rewritten Dragonforce lyrics.
There's an interesting story in a book called "The animator's survival kit"

Basically, the author goes and speaks to Milt Kahl (One of Disney's 9 old men) about what music he listens to. Milt then explodes saying he's not so stupid as to listen to music whilst working. Apparently you focus better, and express yourself better with nothing distracting you at all.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Three replies, three counts of Thrash.

Proof.
Quote by LgLagro
You, you bring us both corm, and two hot russian gymnasts pretty much making out, you are a legend.

Limping Head Journalist and Proprietor of PitTown Cricket Club.

Keeping quiet about scandals since 2008.
Quote by TheFishMan92
Three replies, three counts of Thrash.

Proof.

i do like my metal, i concentrate best with it over anything else

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Thrash.
Although I WOULD tell you to listen to your fave kind, mine just happen to be thrash. =)
I can't do it. I had some Sigur Ros on before and I couldn't concentrate on this essay I'm doing.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by MH_Worshipper

Just don't write anything resembling Lord of the Rings. You WILL have rewritten Dragonforce lyrics.

lol

and i listen to whatever is on my ipod mostly metal and shit
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by MH_Worshipper

LOL
Listening to music(metal) helps me concentrate on whatever else I'm doing, I can't study as easily in silence for some reason.
It's a great motivator I think. I don't advise it though.

I always believed that if you were to have music playing while you do maths questions or something, your brain gets familiar with those sounds, and so it's harder for you to replicate those results in an exam because your brain won't have the music to jog it's memory.

Hope that made sense.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
its usually easier if their isn't any lyrics- just instrumental
now extra flamey
i listen to music everytime i do work, and i just graduated from a maths degree. if i didnt have metal, oh man, that wud be one incredibly boring degree. instead it was just quite boring. GREAT SUCCESS!
Quote by dgme92
It's a great motivator I think. I don't advise it though.

I always believed that if you were to have music playing while you do maths questions or something, your brain gets familiar with those sounds, and so it's harder for you to replicate those results in an exam because your brain won't have the music to jog it's memory.

Hope that made sense.

a friend of mine kind of has that in reverse, if hes listening to something while he sees something memorable, everytime he hears the song he remembers the image/incident etc.

He once saw a lyric interpretation of Mask Of Sanity by Children Of Bodom, where someone had managed to get away with slipping in goatse at certain points. Needless to say he doesnt listen to that song much now.

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Death Metal gets ma brain fluidZ goin
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
I just start daydreaming if I'm doing work and there's nothing else around. I need distractions to remind me not to get distracted.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by dan ramP
a friend of mine kind of has that in reverse, if hes listening to something while he sees something memorable, everytime he hears the song he remembers the image/incident etc.

He once saw a lyric interpretation of Mask Of Sanity by Children Of Bodom, where someone had managed to get away with slipping in goatse at certain points. Needless to say he doesnt listen to that song much now.

Its the same basic cognitive process

basically the music acts as a stimulus for a memory
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Listening to any sort of 'rock' music just distracts me. So if I do listen to music while I work, it'll be DnB or some dark minimal techno. Generally the more aggressive the better.
...Bleep Bloop...