OK, I know that the pit probably won't help, but I have no where else to ask. For the past year and a half my musical skills have been rapidly declining. Last year, I could hear a 10 minute classical piece, and I could remember every section, every note, every harmony that each instrument played after only one listen. I used to be able to create polyphony in my head with up to 7 melodies. I used to be able to write wonderful melodies in my head very fast. I could even transcribe music onto paper after hearing it. Now, I can barely remember a main theme after hearing a piece over 5 times, I can't hear more than one melody in my head at a time (a little bit of a second, but not really), after 1 and a half years I've only come up with only one or two melodies, and now I can't even tell the difference between a whole step and half step.

I've been ignoring this for the most part because it's been upsetting, but today in music class when I got the simplest melodic dictation wrong and the whole class got it right I realized that I have to face this problem.

The problem started when I told myself that I can't keep being so depressed and nervous two years ago. I was always an extremely nervous person with a lot of anxiety, so I decided to change, and after then, all my ability has just gone away. I'm really not sure what to do.

I know I don't have some kind of disease because all my other skills are getting better (writing, film making, etc).

What can I do?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
this is sad and also way over my head
maybe take some music lessons and try to refresh yourself?
im sure you'll get back on track one day
Quote by StrokeMidnight
OK, I know that the pit probably won't help, but I have no where else to ask. For the past year and a half my musical skills have been rapidly declining. Last year, I could hear a 10 minute classical piece, and I could remember every section, every note, every harmony that each instrument played after only one listen. I used to be able to create polyphony in my head with up to 7 melodies. I used to be able to write wonderful melodies in my head very fast. I could even transcribe music onto paper after hearing it. Now, I can barely remember a main theme after hearing a piece over 5 times, I can't hear more than one melody in my head at a time (a little bit of a second, but not really), after 1 and a half years I've only come up with only one or two melodies, and now I can't even tell the difference between a whole step and half step.

I've been ignoring this for the most part because it's been upsetting, but today in music class when I got the simplest melodic dictation wrong and the whole class got it right I realized that I have to face this problem.

The problem started when I told myself that I can't keep being so depressed and nervous two years ago. I was always an extremely nervous person with a lot of anxiety, so I decided to change, and after then, all my ability has just gone away. I'm really not sure what to do.

I know I don't have some kind of disease because all my other skills are getting better (writing, film making, etc).

What can I do?

Fap.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
"Son, always carry a medical glove in your pocket in case you wind up in a bathroom that has no toilet paper, and you get constipated."
err. take a refresher course.

You act like you were granted this gift from God and now your hair has been cut from your head.

Stop acting like a pretentious prick about it and face it. Everyone forgets things, I'm sure once you get into the swing of things it'll come back.

Now if it wa a gift from God, then I suggest a church.
just be yourself dude, the greatest geniuses were often very closed dudes, mind always buisy.

How's your social life?

W
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by kaplac
err. take a refresher course.

You act like you were granted this gift from God and now your hair has been cut from your head.

Stop acting like a pretentious prick about it and face it. Everyone forgets things, I'm sure once you get into the swing of things it'll come back.

Now if it wa a gift from God, then I suggest a church.

Yeah. Something has been cut off from me. What you think I trained myself to be able to do all this? I didn't train myself to be able to remember songs. It just happened, and now, I can't remember anything. Stop being a pretentious prick who thinks he knows what he's talking about.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by Lord Waltaa
just be yourself dude, the greatest geniuses were often very closed dudes, mind always buisy.

How's your social life?

W

That's the thing. This all started when I decided to improve my social life. And this is where I'm torn. I'm positive that if I gave up my social life I could do all this again. But, I don't want to give up my social life. Well I wouldn't give it up but I'd go back to having a couple really good friends, instead of a lot of good friends.
do some relative pitch training. Should build your ear back up to where it was.

Did you have perfect pitch?
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Quote by highwaysalmon
do some relative pitch training. Should build your ear back up to where it was.

Did you have perfect pitch?

That's the wierd thing actually. I didn't have perfect pitch before this happened, and now I do.
This happened to me when drugs entered my life.

In conclusion.. you should stop doing drugs.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
That's the thing. This all started when I decided to improve my social life. And this is where I'm torn. I'm positive that if I gave up my social life I could do all this again. But, I don't want to give up my social life. Well I wouldn't give it up but I'd go back to having a couple really good friends, instead of a lot of good friends.

I see. yea, that's prolly what's best. just think about what you want, then go for that and make the best of it you really shouldn't let a gift be pulverised because you wanna look good. keep your best friends, live the music^^
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Maybe the musical goals you've set for yourself aren't really suited for you?
Maybe you should take this as a cue to break and pursue your other ambitions? Your friends/writing/film making/etc...
Come back to music later with a more open and less perfectionist perspective?
You probably just need to work on it more.

If I go for a week without playing guitar, it becomes really hard for me to sing and play. I'll start forgetting words as I'm singing or losing rhythm.

Musical prowess doesn't just dissipate into the ether. You're probably just out of practice and have been getting progressively worse by trying to ignore it. Keep working. It'll come back.
Maybe you were autistic, but through positive thinking you were cured!
Who needs music when you don't have autism?
Quote by |z|
Maybe the musical goals you've set for yourself aren't really suited for you?
Maybe you should take this as a cue to break and pursue your other ambitions? Your friends/writing/film making/etc...
Come back to music later with a more open and less perfectionist perspective?

I am pursuing my other ambitions. But, this still bothers me, because music is my biggest love in my life.

I think maybe I'll see a psychologist. It may be because I'm nervous. I think I've actually gotten more nervous without realizing it. Even though I'm having all these problems, the music that I do write is extremely atonal and jittery. I think it may be reflecting how I feel.

I know that all this isn't gone, but I feel it's being suppressed by other things.

EDIT: I think I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to sit in a completely dark room with nothing but classical music playing, for an entire day or two. Hopefully, without any sight, it will focus my hearing more. I'm also going to listen to classical music while I sleep.
Last edited by StrokeMidnight at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I am pursuing my other ambitions. But, this still bothers me, because music is my biggest love in my life.

I think maybe I'll see a psychologist. It may be because I'm nervous. I think I've actually gotten more nervous without realizing it. Even though I'm having all these problems, the music that I do write is extremely atonal and jittery. I think it may be reflecting how I feel.

I know that all this isn't gone, but I feel it's being suppressed by other things.

EDIT: I think I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to sit in a completely dark room with nothing but classical music playing, for an entire day or two. Hopefully, without any sight, it will focus my hearing more. I'm also going to listen to classical music while I sleep.

Now that is commitment.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile